Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Here's a story we can all cheer & applaud

THE NEWEST CITIZENS OF AMERICA
    By Baylie Davis
    bdavis@wyomingnews.com

BRANDON QUESTER/WTE Wang Tii Chong laughs and smiles after becoming an official American citizen Friday afternoon during a naturalization ceremony held at the Federal Courthouse in downtown Cheyenne.

CHEYENNE, WYOMING - Nineteen new American citizens walked out of the Federal courthouse Friday with wide grins and waving American flags.

The morning's naturalization ceremony was the culmination of many months, sometimes years, of going through the process of becoming a U.S. citizen. Friday was the first day that nineteen new Americans could officially say, "I am a U.S. citizen."

Although the twice-per-year ceremonies always vary slightly depending on the judge that performs them, Friday's was relatively standard; except that there were about twice as many applicants for citizenship as usual.

They had completed every other requirement in the naturalization process. All that was left was to take the Oath of Allegiance and receive their Certificates of Naturalization.

Judge Clarence A. Brimmer granted the motion to admit the applicants as citizens and dictated the Oath as the applicants repeated it:

"I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..."

In this one room in Cheyenne, stood people from every corner of the world - Mexicans, Canadians, Germans, Africans, Koreans, Australians.

"...That I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic..."

"Ladies and gentlemen, I now pronounce you all citizens of the United States of America," said Judge Brimmer. Smiles spread across the jury box and the first row of benches, where the minute-old Americans sat.

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services Web site says, "Citizenship is one of the most coveted gifts that the U.S. government can bestow."

Family members brought flowers, cameras and proud smiles to watch their loved ones become Americans.

Anne Alexander, the wife of new citizen Rob Godby, said her husband decided to become a citizen after 10 years of living in the United States because "he would really like to vote in the election." Godby is originally from Canada.

As she watched her husband receive his certificate of naturalization and take the oath, Alexander beamed with pride. Even her camera beeped its own congratulations.

Aracely Amparan, originally from Mexico, has been in the United States since 1980. As she received her certificate, her family smiled and applauded for her.

"After 20 years of living (in the United States), I figure it's about time to fully participate," said Norbert Swoboda-Colberg, originally from Switzerland.

Former Wyoming State Senator Elizabeth Byrd has been handing out Governor's pins to the new citizens at every ceremony since 1982, a gift she said she's honored to give the applicants.

"I thank all of you for wanting to be an American," she said during the ceremony. "America is the best country in the whole world."

The 81-year-old said she figured this will be the last ceremony she will attend.
    http://www.wyomingnews.com/articles/200 ... -19-08.txt
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Comments on this story can be left at the article's link above.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Thanks for posting this Zeezil.

I have a good friend that also completed the citizenship process within the last 18 months or so (culminating with the 'swearing in ceremony'...) and can attest, the excitement and pride that many immigrants feel is genuine.

When I hear stories like this, I get the goose bumps, honest I do.
    I am very grateful they took the time and trouble to do things the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    Thanks for posting this Zeezil.

I have a good friend that also completed the citizenship process within the last 18 months or so (culminating with the 'swearing it ceremony'...) and can attest, the excitement and pride that many immigrants feel is genuine.

When I hear stories like this, I get the goose bumps, honest I do.
    I am very grateful they took the time and trouble to do things the right way.
    I hear 'ya, Phred...same here.

I am really feeling rotten. I went to this site and could not post my congrats without making reference to the hijacking of the immigration system by business men's greed. I had to leave without comment. I think all this is getting to me.

A citizenship ceremony is one of the most emotional things you will ever see. The hope for the future and the pride in the accomplishment of becoming a citizen is something you can almost touch. The emotion is like a living breathing thing.

To have that reduced to a commodity dispensed by politicians is unbearable.

Re: Here's a story we can all cheer & applaud

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil
    "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state, or sovereignty of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen..."
    I think this is great for the majority who sincerely mean it, but then you have a few who later break their oath and become dual Mexican and American citizens.

CONGRADULATIONS AND THANK YOU FOR DOING IT THE RIGHT WAY!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Welcome to America!
    May you have a wonderful life.

Nice story!

It's a nice story, but I'm starting to wonder if being granted citizenship in the United States evens means anything anymore. Since non-citizens--most especially non-citizens who are in this country illegally--seem to have nearly all the rights and privileges of citizens, it kinda makes you wonder if it all matters anymore.
    Calderon was absolutely right when he said...."Where there is a Mexican, there is Mexico".