Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hispanic teens share personal stories with Sen. Beason

Hispanic teens share personal stories with Sen. Beason
    montgomeryadvertiser.com
    Written by
    Brian Lyman
    1:29 AM, Aug. 25, 2011

Debate over the state's immigration bill moved from a federal court to a jury overÂ*flow room Wednesday, as a half-dozen HisÂ*panic teenagers, some undocumented, tried to sound out a sponsor about his motivations for passing the law.

The teenagers approached Sen. Scott Beason, R-Gardendale, toward the end of a lunch break and formed a semi-circle around him, saying they wanted to share their stoÂ*ries with him.

Those in the circle noted that they had not chosen to come to Alabama, but that in some cases, it has been a matter of life or death.

Nestor Flores, a 17-year-old from AlabasÂ*ter who came to the country from Mexico when he was 4, said his family came to the U.S. to get badly needed health care for both him and his mother.

"When I was born, doctors everywhere in Mexico told my dad they'd give him a choice: Me or mom, live or die," he said.

Beason told the students, part of a group called AlabaÂ*ma Dreamers, that he appreÂ*ciated their stories and unÂ*derstood their concerns.

"We're not trying to create problems for anyone," he told the students, but said federal failures to enforce immigration laws left the state no choice but to pass its own statute.

The 10-minute discussion between Beason and the stuÂ*dents was polite, with no voices raised and, apparentÂ*ly, no positions reconsidered.

Victor Palafox, 19, a PelÂ*ham High School graduate who was born in Mexico City but has lived in Alabama for 13 years, said he appreciated Beason taking the time with them but felt he only heard rhetoric. Palafox, who is unÂ*documented, is banned from attending college under the state's immigration law.

"I wanted Sen. Beason to see further than MontgomÂ*ery," he said. "I wanted him to see the human element of this."

Beason said afterward that he "appreciated their willingness to talk," but added, "we still have to deal with the overall situation."

After the hearing, Palafox, holding an American flag, approached Beason and inÂ*vited him to join a vigil and procession against the immiÂ*gration law that was about to begin circling the Hugo L. Black U.S. Courthouse in Birmingham, where the hearing was held.

Beason said he "appreciatÂ*ed" the invitation.

"I've got to go back to the house," he said, smiling and walking away.

http://www.montgomeryadvertiser.com/art ... od|mostcom
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Nestor Flores, a 17-year-old from AlabasÂ*ter who came to the country from Mexico when he was 4, said his family came to the U.S. to get badly needed health care for both him and his mother.

"When I was born, doctors everywhere in Mexico told my dad they'd give him a choice: Me or mom, live or die," he said.

Must have been a slow death illness because after 4 years neither one died.
    Kind of refutes how IAs don't come here to leech off our social services.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

just more sob stories,the hell with the citizens and their plights.........
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Just ONCE, one freakin' time I would love to see how one of OUR representatives did this:
    LOOK EACH DREAMER IN THE EYE, AND THEN ASK: BY A SHOW OF HANDS CAN I SEE WHICH ONES OF YOU WERE RAISED WITHOUT:
    a) food stamps
    b) free breakfast or lunch programs at school
    c) your parents raising you without WIC or Medi-care ( or aid, I can never get those straight).

And when there are NO hands raised, walk away after saying... CASE CLOSED!

Quote Originally Posted by Ratbstard

Must have been a slow death illness because after 4 years neither one died.
    Kind of refutes how IAs don't come here to leech off our social services.
    Yup, the article fails to mention that his family was after FREE medical care. I'm sure they have numbers of talented doctors in Mexico, but they were adverse to providing free care.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

well kid
    I don't feel sorry for any of you . the American have story also
    I feel sorry for our country. No one care about us
    but we will fight .
    NO amnesty