Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Hispanics face multiple hurdles in quest for health care

http://159.54.227.3/apps/pbcs.dll/artic ... /607140352

Hispanics face multiple hurdles in quest for health care

Felix Negron

Other Voices

We've all heard by now that Hispanics are the fastest-growing and largest ethnic group in Washington state, but the health and well-being of Latinos hasn't kept pace with the population growth and continues to be of great concern to all Hispanic communities.

Of late, I have personally witnessed some of the shortfall in the ability to serve the health-care needs of my own mother. Even with strong family support and our knowledge of how to access quality care for her, it is a daunting task to seek out the services and support to help meet her needs. Couple this with limited or no health insurance, plus language and cultural barriers, and it is clear to see that health care access for Hispanics is a significant issue for all of us.

Statistical studies are hard to find because no one has collected sufficient data. In late 2005, research students from Whitman College in Walla Walla conducted a statewide study on Latino social conditions. To no one's surprise, the report found that poverty and lack of legal residency all contribute to the low rates of health insurance coverage by Washington Latinos.

It's estimated that one in three Hispanics doesn't have any health coverage. Even for those who have access to some type of health care service, taking time off from work for an appointment and just finding transportation to get to a clinic or physician are also significant challenges.

In King County alone, 36 percent of Latinos don't have health insurance, and Medicaid funding and Basic Health program changes have made access to health care coverage more difficult for Hispanic children and adults.

In the Lower Yakima Valley, 65 percent of the Hispanics are employed in the agricultural industry, working the fields. The job often includes applying farm chemicals. Yakima Valley agricultural workers, who believe they have been exposed to pesticides, probably won't seek health care out of fear of retaliation, no trust in doctors to diagnose pesticide exposure, and the high costs associated with treatment.

Across our state, the number of immigrant children who are not eligible for Medicaid continues to grow.

Access to health care in some Hispanic households is fractured, as there can be children in the family who are eligible for Medicaid and others who are not because of their immigration status. Some children within the same family can receive health care while others do not.

Shortages of bilingual health care professionals and affordable health care and a lack of understanding of the Latino culture are some of the main reasons why Hispanic leaders have come together to influence policy and legislation that can improve Hispanic access to health care.

The good news is that Hispanic leaders, legislators and Gov. Chris Gregoire continue to work together to provide meaningful policy changes for real health care solutions.

Felix Negron, a member of The Olympian's Diversity Panel, is a commissioner with the Washington State Commission on Hispanic Affairs. He can be reached at flnegron@hotmail.com.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hey Gov. Gregoire,

Here's a solution for you to consider: SEND ALL THE ILLEGALS HOME.

Problem solved.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

There are 45 million American Citizens without health insurance and adequate health care and we are supposted to care about illegals who cannot get health insurance and adequate health care? Not me, I do not care.

Go back to your own country and get healthcare and no language barriers, we have enough to do here with taking care of our own citizens you are not entitled to free healthcare as you are illegal aliens. The US is not a free clinic for the whole world at the expense of american taxpayers. Go home!!!
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Again, no differentiation between American citizens and illegals. Imagine that.

Quote Originally Posted by dlm1968
    There are 45 million American Citizens without health insurance and adequate health care and we are supposted to care about illegals who cannot get health insurance and adequate health care? Not me, I do not care.
    Thank you!
    My husband pays $140 per week for Health care coverage for our family of 5, and we still don't get all the coverage we need and deserve.

So I personally don't give a rats behind about illegals lack of health care

Concerned - We do not have any health insurance. My husband's company does not offer it and my company offers it to the tune of $1000 a month for 4 of us with $1000 deductable per person. We just cannot afford that...so we wing it and hope we do not have a catastrophy.

Couple this with limited or no health insurance, plus language and cultural barriers, and it is clear to see that health care access for Hispanics is a significant issue for all of us.
    Gee, I don't know, maybe they should do what the rest of us HAVE to do, pay for health insurance. When I worked a job that did not have benefits or any heatlthcare plan, I paid out of my own pocket for health insurance, nearly $200 a month.

They say they are disturbed by the limited access to healthcare. B.S., what they are saying is they are concerned with limited access to FREE healthcare.

And why is it if these people cannot afford what for many is a necessity of life in today's society, health insurance, do they continue to crank out endless numbers of babies? Oh yeah, that's right, it's because they will be born U.S. citizens and would automatically qualify for taxpayer funded healthcare, not to mention every other free (to them) public services.
    [b][i][size=117]"Leave like beaten rats. You old white people. It is your duty to die. Through love of having children, we are going to take over.â€

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Shortages of bilingual health care professionals and affordable health care and a lack of understanding of the Latino culture are some of the main reasons why Hispanic leaders have come together to influence policy and legislation that can improve Hispanic access to health care.
    OK, so what's that supposed to mean? That they shouldn't have to pay for it? That we need to set up hispanic-only health care centers just so they feel confortable?

What gall these people have! They break into our country, steal our jobs, demand special treatment that exceeds what citizens receive, and then they bitch about it.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast