Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Honors student wins delay on immigration status case

http://news.bostonherald.com/immigratio ... eid=145693

Honors student wins delay on immigration status case
    By Casey Ross
    Boston Herald Reporter

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 - Updated: 07:32 AM EST

A Chelsea High School honors graduate who faces deportation after coming to the United States from Guatemala at age 12 has won a brief reprieve from immigration authorities.

Mario Rodas, 19, who overstayed the visa that allowed his family to enter the country in 1999, will be granted a delay in a case that was scheduled to proceed today in Boston Immigration Court, according to Elaine Komis, a spokeswoman for the Executive Office for Immigration Review.

While the reasons for the delay are unclear, Rodas supporters say it will help their case as Bay State congressmen push for legislation that would offer a chance at citizenship to people like Rodas who are living in the country illegally.

“It is plain to see what a strong and courageous young man (Rodas) is,” Sen. John F. Kerry said yesterday after briefly meeting with the teen at a rally outside the JFK federal building in Boston. “I hope the Department of Homeland Security reconsiders its decision.”

Rodas was arrested by immigration agents who encountered him in March during an enforcement action targeting criminal aliens in Chelsea.

While local officials and congressmen rally at his side, advocates for strict enforcement of immigration laws argue the details of his case - Rodas graduated with honors from Chelsea High in 2005 and has no criminal record - do not change the fact that he is living here illegally.

“The expectation of the American people is that we enforce the law,” said John Keeley of the Washington D.C-based Center for Immigration Studies. “We get these sob stories because we have a climate of lawlessness and a lack of enforcement in this country.”

Once his hearing formally begins in immigration court, Rodas could face expedited removal or a more thorough hearing that would weigh the details of his case, officials said.
    Freedom isn't free... Don't forget the men who died and gave that right to all of us....
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

MW
    While the reasons for the delay are unclear, Rodas supporters say it will help their case as Bay State congressmen push for legislation that would offer a chance at citizenship to people like Rodas who are living in the country illegally.
    No the reason is not unclear! I'm sure judicial arm twisting by elected officials is why courts went into the delay mode. Heck, I can even look into my crystal ball and tell you when the young man will come before the courts. Okay here goes,...........Hmmm, all I see is the word one, amnesty, and 12 million. Okay, I guess we can assume that means he will be one of the 12 million illegal immigrants granted amnesty, which means his case will be dismissed at a later date.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I don't give a damn how honored these illegals are, all illegals and their anchor babies must be banned from all schools and educational institutions!. I'm sick and tired of my hard earned tax money funding scum bag criminals' educations.

Where out tax dollars go
    Here's a "decent, hardworking" future
    aZT Land citizen from Guatamala
    "making Hillary proud!"

What part of "We don't owe our jobs to India" are you unable to understand, Senator?