Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

How Did This Reporter's Tough Line on Illegal Immigration...

How Did This Reporter's Tough Line on Illegal Immigration Make It Onto CNN?
    By Mark Finkelstein (Bio | Archive)
    August 21, 2008 - 07:19 ET

Were the apparatchiks of CNN asleep at the PC wheel? Not only did the network air a balanced segment on medical care for an illegal immigrant. It surprisingly let slip by the reporter's line contrasting the illegal's use of the American legal system now with his disregard for it when he snuck into the country!

Aired at 6:22 EDT today, the segment focused on the case of Francisco Pantaleon, an illegal Mexican immigrant who fell into a coma in July and who has since been receiving extensive care from a Chicago hospital--all at the hospital's expense. Now that his condition has been stabilized, the hospital wants to discharge him to an extended-care facility, in Mexico, and has offered to pay for an air ambulance to transport him there. But his family is protesting the move, and has enlisted a lawyer who also serves as general counsel to the Mexican consulate in Chicago.

Introducing the segment, anchor John Roberts referred to Pantaleon as an "illegal immigrant," not an "undocumented worker." Picking up the story, reporter Bill Tucker actually called Pantaleon an "illegal alien." I could hardly believe my ears, but replayed the video a few times to confirm it.

View video here.

Then came this shocker.

Story Continues Below Ad ↓

After a clip of Pantaleon's lawyer asserting "he happens to be an immigrant who is in need of desperate medical attention round the clock. And the hospital, under federal law, and I believe the laws of the state of Illinois, have got to provide the necessary care for this individual," Tucker made this wry observation.

BILL TUCKER: Ironically, Mr. Pantaleon was not worried about federal law when he entered the country illegally.
    Wow. We're accustomed to CNN letting Lou Dobbs nightly air his hard line on immigration, and indeed the Emmy-winning Tucker's main gig at CNN is as a Dobbs correspondent. But for a segment like this to sneak into a regular news hour was nothing less than shocking.

Note: checking the transcript of last night's Lou Dobbs show, I see the segment aired then. It was surely produced with that show and audience in mind. But despite being the conscientious recyclers they are, I'm surprised the CNN folks would replay the unabridged report during one of its "straight news" hours.

Note, Part Deux: Particularly given that this story emanates from Obama's home town of Chicago, will some enterprising reporter ask the candidate for his views on it?

—Mark Finkelstein is a NewsBusters contributing editor and host of Right
    http://tinyurl.com/5gda64
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

100 more reporter like Bill Tucker and Casey Wian would work for me .
    and Yes , it's INSANE that a US hospital must provide long term treatment for a Immigration law breaker plus get a Latino mouth piece to back him up . Bush has really done the Citizen wrong
    Nam vet 1967/1970 Skull & Bones can KMA .Bless our Brothers that gave their all ..It also gives me the right to Vote for Chuck Baldwin 2008 POTUS . NOW or never*

There is NO law that says once a patient has been stabilized, they cannot be released. Nursing homes and rehab centers do not come under "emergency care". This man needs to be sent back to mexico, his family MUST go with him.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

And still no 'Thank You' from the family members to the Chicago hospital & doctors for saving this illegal alien's life. They demand more and more and more.

If this were my family member, I would be on my knees expressing my gratitude to the doctors, hospital and folks who paid for the care- after thanking and praising my maker, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by florgal
    And still no 'Thank You' from the family members to the Chicago hospital & doctors for saving this illegal alien's life. They demand more and more and more.

If this were my family member, I would be on my knees expressing my gratitude to the doctors, hospital and folks who paid for the care- after thanking and praising my maker, of course.

No sorry, if it were "your" family the hospital would have discharged them and "you" would have no choice but to take them home or arrange for a nursing home. Although the hospital and God will welcome your praise..the hospital will still send a huge bill.
    Does any of this suprise you any more....the whole world is upside and backwards.
    Was it Calderon that said they will destroy us with endless lawsuits?
    "It is error alone that needs the support of government. Truth can stand by itself".
    Thomas Jefferson

How did this illegal just "fall into a coma"?

Ironically...the mexican government demands to be involved when one of their scum bag illegal invaders rapes and murders a US citizen - but yet when one of their illegal invader bretheren becomes ill and needs medical attention, they hide behind lawyers in order to demand the US pay for treatment!

The parasitic mentality of these people is geting very old very fast...