Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Huge Marijuana Operation Linked to Mexican Mafia in Utah

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=431582

Huge Marijuana Operation Linked to Mexican Mafia
    August 17th, 2006 @ 10:21pm
    Alex Cabrero Reporting

The Mexican Mafia in Utah's Garfield County? Authorities say illegal immigrants, working as drug runners grew a huge marijuana garden on federal land in Utah. And two men, both Mexican nationals and in the United States illegally, are in jail without bail tonight.

Sheriff's deputies caught them yesterday in Panguitch. Augustine Tesco and Juan Carlos Garcia face federal drug charges. Investigators say both men may have ties to the Mexican Mafia.

They say their job was simple, grow the marijuana plants then guard the pot with guns. Authorities seized more than five thousand plants this week near Bryce Canyon.

Many people who visit Garfield County in southern Utah do so for the relative peace and quiet. Those same qualities also appeal to those up to go good.

We've all heard of marijuana busts before, but very few are as big as this one. Even Keith Millet, with the Iron County/Garfield County drug task force has never seen this much pot all at once. When he was first told about it, he had to see it to believe it.

Keith Millet, Iron/Garfield County Drug Task Force: "From the vantage point I was at, I couldn't see actually how big it was."

Fifty-four hundred pot plants growing on the Barney Top Plateau, a remote mountain in the Dixie National forest in Garfield County.

Keith Millet: "That's a rough hike to get them in and out of there. And to imagine somebody hiking in all these tools and supplies to this area, it would have taken a lot of effort."

Two suspects, 34-year old Augustine Tesco and 19-year old Juan Carlos Garcia were arrested. Deputies say they're from Mexico, here illegally, just to grow marijuana for the Mexican mafia.

Sgt. Danny Perkins, Garfield County Sheriff's Office: "This far exceeds anything that we've had in this county."

Sgt. Danny Perkins says these types of cases are becoming more common; Mexican drug rings are finding it less of a risk to grow marijuana in the United States, than to grow it in Mexico and risk getting caught crossing the border, because of tighter border security.

Sgt. Danny Perkins: "We're really concerned with this happening in our county. You know, we're concerned with hikers and hunters that should wander into something like this; as you guys know, these people were armed."

Deputies say hikers and hunters should always be aware of their surroundings. If you should come across something like this, know where you are, leave right away, and then call police. Those who grow drugs will do anything to keep it a secret.

As mentioned, this is a new problem on our borders. Federal lands in the western United States are more often becoming breeding grounds for drug farms. The US Forest service says it's seized more than a million marijuana plants from California's public lands. A special agent told the Deseret Morning News many operations are going into Arizona, New Mexico and southern Utah.

Eyewitness News showed you one such bust two years ago in Pine Valley. Drug agents seized more than 15-hundred marijuana plants and 50-pounds of packaged pot. It was worth at least two million dollars.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.thespectrum.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... 80312/1002

Authorities seize marijuana plants

Law enforcement destroys 5,400 plants worth an estimated $1 million

By STEVE KIGGINS
    skiggins@thespectrum.com

CEDAR CITY - Two illegal immigrants from Mexico were arrested in Garfield County following one of the largest marijuana busts in Utah history.

Augustine Mateas Tesco, 38, and Juan Carlos Hernandez, 19, were arrested Wednesday, two days after about 30 law enforcement officers from four agencies raided the pot farm on U.S. Forest Service land on the east rim of the Barney Top Plateau.

The arrests were not reported to the media until Thursday morning.

During Monday's raid, authorities seized and later destroyed 5,400 marijuana plants worth an estimated $1 million.
    "This is, by far, the biggest garden I've ever seen in our county," said Sgt. Danny Perkins, who has worked nearly 20 years for the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.

The only bust that netted more marijuana in Utah was in 2002, when about 8,900 plants were eradicated in northern Utah, Perkins said.

In addition to the marijuana plants, Perkins said 7,000 starter cups and hundreds of pounds of fertilizer were seized.

The Drug Enforcement Agency, based on evidence at the scene, about 10 miles northeast of Bryce Canyon National Park, believes the two men were working for an international drug trafficking organization.

Such organizations are typically linked directly to the Mexican Mafia, which has found it easier to grow marijuana inside the United States rather than transport the drugs across the border.

DTO grows are usually located in remote areas and almost exclusively operated by illegal immigrants who do not speak English, according to the DEA.

"When you have a large operation run by Mexican nationals, you've got a good idea that that's what's going on," said Keith Millett, commander of the Narcotics Task Force for Iron and Garfield counties. "We haven't confirmed that yet, but it's more likely than not."

Acting on a resident's tip, Perkins and Millett scouted the garden's remote location, at about 9,600 feet, on Aug. 8 and 9. Two armed men, believed to be Tesco and Hernandez, were seen guarding the plants, Perkins said.

The armed men were not in the garden during Monday's raid.

"A lot of the officers on the raid said they were told that you couldn't grow marijuana leaves above 7,000 feet, but there they were," said Becki Bronson, public information officer for the sheriff's office.

Two St. George-based DEA agents told Millett that it was the "biggest grow they've been on in Southern Utah."

One plant typically produces 2.2 pounds of marijuana, said Millett. One pound sells for about $500 wholesale and for more on the street.

The plants were hauled away in large nets by the Department of Public Safety's helicopter, piloted by Terry Mercer, and later destroyed.

"It took quite awhile for the helicopter to haul it all away," Perkins. "It took numerous trips. ... This was a big operation."

Millett was grateful for the DPS' help.

"There would have been no way for us to pack the marijuana out of there (because of the rugged terrain)," he said.

The two suspects remained at large until Wednesday, when they were spotted at a Panguitch gas station by two members of the county's volunteer Search and Rescue team.

Tesco and Hernandez were at a phone booth, attempting to contact relatives to come to Panguitch to get them, according to a release from the Garfield County Sheriff's Office.

During a six-hour interrogation, Perkins said one of the men confessed to running the operation. Both will likely face federal drug distribution and firearms charges, he said.

Tesco and Hernandez are being held, without bail, at the Garfield County Jail.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This is sad to see. That area next to Bryce Canyon is one of the most beautiful forests we have in UT.
    Funny part is, the highways from Bryce Canyon which connect up to I-70 & I-15 are some of the heavily most watched areas by UHP. There is practically a drug bust per day on these lonesome stretches of UT's roads.

Nice family portraits (NOT)
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.

Sippy:

Yes, indeed - sad but true. Every so often I have seen similar news articles here in OR too - but, not usually from big organized groups. I have a brother that works in natural resources in the S. of the state, and he says the problem is especially bad down there. It's been going on here for years though...

Also - forgot to mention - I noticed your post re: Judas Priest song/lyrics the other day. Every time I read a story like this, I hear off in my neurons somehwere... 'Breaking the Law', 'Breaking the Law'!
    ...Don't ask me why...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Also - forgot to mention - I noticed your post re: Judas Priest song/lyrics the other day. Every time I read a story like this, I hear off in my neurons somehwere... 'Breaking the Law', 'Breaking the Law'!
    ...Don't ask me why...
    PhredE,

I hear ya, that tune also rings in my head too. I'm glad that United is the last song on the album. This way, I don't let my discouragement get the better of me.
    "Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting the same results is the definition of insanity. " Albert Einstein.