www.kget.com

ICE crackdown on document fraud

Click to Watch Video

Posted 09/30/05
BAKERSFIELD - Seven Kern County people were arrested in connection with a Valley-wide sting on document fraud.
The U.S. immigration and Customs and Enforcement led the 3-month-long Federal Investigation that led up to the bust of several mills.

On Thursday investigators from ICE charged into six homes in the county, where they say they found are fake documents, such as green cards and Social Security Cards.

The operations were done in residences in Taft, Delano, Lamont, and Bakersfield.

Bakersfield resident, and ICE Agent in charge Michael Toms said it's a huge risk to Kern Country.

Such illegal operations can open the gates to criminals and even terrorists, he states.

The sting was a surprise to local residents.

Lacy Kirby lives in near one of the raided homes and said “you hear about it, but you wouldn't think it's right across the street.�

And Rebecca Espinoza also a neighbor said, �stealing maybe, I wouldn't be surprised if I heard about drugs in the area or gangs.

“But that surprised me I didn't know anything about it,� she adds.

ICE agents said all six locations operated independently of one another; despite the fact that two of the homes were across the street from one another.

Kern County Sheriff's and Taft Police also assisted in the arrests.

Toms said the arrests are only the beginning of many more arrests