Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Hello Hosay and Welcome to Alipac.

I have the same feelings you do about deporting the children with the parents.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian503a
    The sob story version.

http://www.suburbanchicagonews.com/hera ... S10817.htm

Standing firm by a friend

By Andrea Hein
    STAFF WRITER

CHICAGO — Standing by a friend's side instead of working for three days is not an easy choice for an illegal immigrant who survives on cash from odd jobs.

But Rockdale resident Toribio Barrera is not about to abandon Elvira Arellano, an illegal immigrant fighting her deportation from a Chicago church.

To do so would be to give up everything for which they have marched and demonstrated.

"We have been working together for more than a year," Barrera said.

Arellano is a mother who took refuge inside Adalberto United Methodist Church on Tuesday instead of reporting to immigration officials who planned to deport her back to Mexico.

Barrera is the man who called himself "Juan" in a previous Herald News story regarding illegal immigration: He came to the U.S. 13 years ago with hopes of joining the Navy.

Now he just wants to stay in the country.

Barrera said he and other activists gathered outside Chicago immigration offices Monday to demonstrate and pray on Arellano's behalf.

When Arellano turned to the church instead of turning herself in, Barrera and others decided to hold vigil with her.

They have talked and prayed as a steady stream of supporters have come and gone.

And they have waited, anticipating the entrance by federal officials to arrest Arellano.

"I was worried last night because I thought for sure that they were going to come," said Barrera, who speaks English.

When Barrera first talked to The Herald News, he was optimistic that elected officials would come through for him and other illegal immigrants.

"Before this I thought there was going to be immigration reform," Barrera said.

He's not so sure now.

"They have the power. In this case they are just (giving) the runaround," Barrera said.

The 33-year-old also has a vested interest in the outcome of Arellano's situation.

On Oct. 9, Barrera will go before an immigration judge and unless the law changes, he too will be deported.

For now, all he can do is pray.

"A friend of mine told me 'God will provide,'" Barrera said.

- View Andrea Hein's Web log at blogs.suburbanchicagonews.com/ahein/ or contact her at (815) 729-6018 or ahein@scn1.com.

08/17/06
    I wonder why an illegal person has to go in front of a judge?

That woman Elvira was deported, and three days later she was right back, and then she made the "anchor baby"

[quote="Brian503a"]The sob story version.

I laugh my keister off every time I see your "warnings"! Too funny.....

Did anybody notice the flags at this church.

In the windows on the outside, they're Cuban and Mexican.

Inside, they've got the Mexican flag up. Not an American flag to be seen anywhere.

Also, has anyone else seen the picture of the illegal perp with Vicente Fox? I'm asking because I've seen what appears to be a picture of the illegal duo, but I can't be sure.
    It's like hell vomited and the Bush administration appeared.

Quote Originally Posted by CountFloyd
    Did anybody notice the flags at this church.

In the windows on the outside, they're Cuban and Mexican.
    YES!
    I saw it on Lou Dobbs tonight....it was so typical of what this has become.
    "Remember the Alamo!"

California or ground zero of the invasion
    I found one picture showing a Mexican flag inside the church with the following article.

http://www.chicagotribune.com

Activist ready for long haul at church
    Many offer support for illegal immigrant

By Oscar Avila
    Tribune staff reporter

August 17, 2006

Immigrant activist Elvira Arellano braced herself Wednesday for a lengthy standoff with the government as she holed up in a Humboldt Park church, defying a deportation order.

Ministers, friends and U.S. Rep. Luis Gutierrez (D-Ill.) came by to offer support to an illegal immigrant now considered a fugitive by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

By Wednesday night, about 100 supporters had massed on the Division Street sidewalk in front of the church under a forest of television satellite towers. Some signed a poster-sized letter of support while others used a bullhorn to trumpet her cause.

Inside the steamy church, a drained Arellano said she was battling the flu but was grateful for the support.

"I am surrounded by my community," she said. "As long as we are united, we are content."

Arellano, 31, was arrested in 2002 for working illegally at O'Hare International Airport. As lawmakers helped her get temporary stays of deportation, Arellano became a vocal advocate for illegal immigrants.

Arellano was supposed to report to immigration authorities in the Loop on Tuesday but instead went to Adalberto United Methodist Church, hoping for sanctuary from arrest. Legal experts and the government say the church offers no protection.

With immigration authorities saying they plan to arrest Arellano, Gutierrez on Tuesday sent a letter to President Bush begging him to extend Arellano's right to remain in the U.S.

Also on Tuesday, U.S. Sen. Barack Obama (D-Ill.) echoed U.S. Sen. Dick Durbin (D-Ill.) in expressing sympathy for Arellano but agreed with him that it was not appropriate to intervene.

"I don't feel comfortable carving out an exception for one person when there are hundreds of thousands of people just in the Chicago region alone who would want a similar exemption. And I think that if we're going to deal with these issues, we've got to deal with them in a comprehensive way that affects all people, not one by one," Obama told reporters in Springfield.

Mayor Richard Daley, also in Springfield, sounded a sympathetic note. "You have to sit down and look at her and her family and how long she's been here and look at it in a personal way, not just another number," Daley said. "And Chicago, it's a city of immigrants. Our past, our present, our future will be immigrants."

Tribune staff reporter Rick Pearson contributed to this report.

oavila@tribune.com

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/cust ... i-news-hed

Illegal immigrant activist steps into debate pulpit

Tribune staff report
    Published August 17, 2006, 10:40 PM CDT

The controversy surrounding Elvira Arellano sent ripples Thursday far beyond the Humboldt Park storefront church where the immigrant activist sought refuge, as she defied a government order of deportation for a third day.

Around the nation, supporters and critics began to seize on Arellano's case as an emblem for the immigration debate.

Dolores Huerta, a former top associate of Cesar Chavez and an icon in the Latino rights movement, arrived on a red-eye flight to the church.

Huerta said Arellano has emerged as an important example for immigrants around the country.

"By the activism that Elvira has taken, she is putting a new face on this issue," Huerta told supporters at Adalberto United Methodist Church.

Arellano, 31, had taken sanctuary in the church after refusing to report to the Department of Homeland Security's local offices Tuesday as ordered.

But outrage is also spreading across the country as U.S. citizens learn about Arellano's defiance.

"Her case is quickly becoming a metaphor for all that is wrong with this nation's broken immigration system," commentator Lou Dobbs said on his CNN program Wednesday night.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

California or ground zero of the invasion
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/colu ... i-news-col

Deportation standoff not helping cause

Eric Zorn

Published August 17, 2006

Since the standoff on West Division Street is almost sure to end badly--with screams, shouts and tears broadcast worldwide--officials from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement, also known as ICE, ought to just get it over with, move in and arrest Elvira Arellano.

That sounds harsh, I know. She's not a dangerous outlaw or a threat to anyone. But the media/activist vigil at Camp Elvira in Humboldt Park is a bad business all the way around. It's generating lots of heat but shedding no light, whipping up ill will and retarding the cause of compassionate immigration reform.

Arellano, 31, is fighting deportation to Mexico by claiming sanctuary in a storefront church, defying the government to "send agents to a holy place" to arrest her.

ICE spokesman Tim Counts responded with a chilly promise--"We will take action at the time and place of our choosing"--but as of this writing Arellano is still holed up in the church and half a dozen TV trucks are parked nearby waiting for the inevitable wild rumpus.

It's fitting that the government is appearing hesitant, indecisive and even fearful on a matter relating to illegal immigration. Our leaders can't summon the political will to secure our borders and enforce our laws or lead a drive to build a consensus to reform those laws.

But Arellano's not helping things. She's not a particularly good cause celebre, as these things go. She has twice entered the country illegally, has been convicted of carrying a false Social Security card, speaks very poor English for someone who has been in this country nine years and she plays her so-called "anchor baby," a 7-year-old son who is a U.S. citizen because he was born here, as her trump card.

The strongest argument for giving her special dispensation seems to be that she's a well-known activist and "not a terrorist," which she keeps insisting even though no one says she is.

She compares herself to Rosa Parks, the black woman whose refusal in 1955 to give up her seat on the bus to a white man sparked the civil rights movement.

But Parks was defying unjust and immoral segregation. And Arellano and her supporters have yet to make the case--aside from declaring it so--that there is anything unjust or immoral about the laws under which she is being deported.

Unwise, perhaps. There are good arguments that it's in our best interests as a nation to create a "path to citizenship" or at least a robust guest-worker program for those who are here illegally; that immigrants enrich us culturally and economically.

Arellano--like you, like me--simply wants to provide for herself and her family, and she cherishes the opportunities of this amazing country. But her defiance, such as her declaration that her arrest and deportation will serve to illustrate "the hatred and hypocrisy of the current administration," drips with a sense of entitlement that many Americans find very off-putting.

By 9-1, respondents to an unscientific poll at chicagotribune.com Wednesday said Arellano should be arrested and deported. An online CNN poll linked to the network's coverage of the Arellano story showed 93 percent of respondents opposing the proposition that "anchor babies" should immunize a parent from deportation.

I monitored the scrum at our online message boards and found opposition to Arellano running both heavy and in some places nasty: She violated immigration laws to come here, work hard and build a better life, folks. That doesn't make her a "criminal."

Nor will deportation make her a victim. The U.S. must have laws on immigration. Every nation must. And we can't let sentiment or popularity or claims about what God would or wouldn't want to happen inside a church cause us to ignore them.

ICE shouldn't be frozen by the inevitability of an ugly scene in the church. It will only get worse as the situation drags on. And the rest of us shouldn't confuse a rejection of Arellano's claims today with a rejection of the idea that we should reform our immigration policies tomorrow in ways that nurture the dreams of the Elvira Arellanos of the world.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This woman was deported once, returned ,cranked out an anchor baby, used false government documents to work at AN AIRPORT, and defied a court order. So what does the media call her??AN ACTIVIST! She will probably get to stay because she is seeking sanctuary in a church and she is a darling of the media. Makes me sick. I'm not saying David Koresh had any legitimacy but he declared his compound in Waco a church yet Janet Reno still sent in the tanks and flame throwers and fried innocent women and children. I don't advocate that solution for this law breaker and I disliked Janet Reno; but she had a pair of brass ones compared to the anchor baby who now has her old job.
    This woman should go to jail and then be deported.

Thanks, Dixie.

Re: Rep. Gutierrez. Can a Congressperson be prosecuted for hindering the execution of the laws of the United States?

Oh, if you all haven't yet done so, please write e-mails/letters to federal officials (Bush) asking that she immediately be removed from the church.
    "We have a sacred, noble obligation in this country to defend the rule
    of law. Without rule of law, without democracy, without rule of law being
    applied without fear or favor, there is no freedom."

Senator Chuck Schumer 6/11/2007
    <s

Quote Originally Posted by Hosay
    Thanks, Dixie.

Re: Rep. Gutierrez. Can a Congressperson be prosecuted for hindering the execution of the laws of the United States?

Oh, if you all haven't yet done so, please write e-mails/letters to federal officials (Bush) asking that she immediately be removed from the church.
    She still hasn't been removed yet. This is just assinine. WTF are they waiting for. I don't want to hear that they don't know where these illegals are. Well we all know where this illegal is, she has already been deported once and has an order for deportation yet again and they do nothing. What are the waiting for Bush and Congress to grant her amnesty? Not only is she a criminal, but she actually encourages others to break immigration laws too. Do you job feds. Bust in there and deport her sorry butt and send the kid into foster care.

If this was an American citizen, she'd be in jail by now. Would it be asking too much for the feds to do their jobs? They are so quick to jump all over BP agents for doing their jobs and shooting at drug dealers, but won't lift a finger to deport an illegal alien who already has been ordered to be deported.

Lets all contact ICE and demand her immediate removal now and demand that they arrest and jail the minister of that church who's harboring, aiding and abetting a fugitive which is against the law.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast