Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrant Taxpayers to Benefit From Stimulus Package

Illegal Immigrant Taxpayers to Benefit From House-Approved Stimulus Plan
    Tuesday, January 29, 2008

WASHINGTON — The $146 billion stimulus package intended to jolt the economy by giving taxpayers rebates up to $1,200 includes cash returns for illegal immigrants who pay taxes.

Under the plan passed by the House, illegal immigrants who qualify as "resident aliens" and earned a minimum of $3,000 would be eligible for rebates of between $300-$600, FOX News has learned.

Only those illegals who have been assigned an Individual Tax Identification Number that allows them to file income taxes would be eligible. Resident aliens are defined as people who spend a "substantial" amount of time in the U.S. and have not been deported.

The provision has irked illegal immigration opponents, who say the assigning of TINs and collection of taxes from illegals sanctions their presence in the country.

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., told FOX News that the bill will certainly stimulate "more illegal immigration."

The stimulus plan met with overwhelming bipartisan support Tuesday, passing the House 385-35 with little debate after House leaders and White House negotiators came to agreement last week.

Opponents of the illegal immigrant eligibility provision point out that the House considered the bill under "suspension of the rules." Suspension provisions allow the House to expedite bills and don't open them up to the usual amendment process.

The plan, which would send at least some rebate to anyone with at least $3,000 in income— with more going to families with children and less going to wealthier taxpayers — faces an uncertain future in the Senate.

Senate Democrats and some Republicans support a larger package that adds billions of dollars for senior citizens and the unemployed, and reduces the rebate for individuals to $500 and $1,000 for couples.

The Senate version written by Finance Committee Chairman Max Baucus would deliver checks even to the richest taxpayers, who are disqualified under the House-passed measure.

Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid blasted the proposal to send rebates to those with higher incomes, saying it "causes me to want to gag." The feeling is widespread among Democrats, he added, saying the "the gag reflex is coming upon everybody" over the plan.

President Bush and House leaders urged the Senate to take the bipartisan agreement and pass it quickly, even as Baucus, D-Mont., planned a Wednesday vote in his committee on a larger package that could face a slower path.

"We need to get this bill out of the Senate and on my desk," Bush said in the Oval Office.

Congressional leaders are aiming to send the measure to Bush by Feb. 15. But the divergent plans — and bids by Senate Democrats and Republicans to swell the package with more add-ons — could drag out that schedule.

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., said she hoped the Senate would "take this bill and run with it."

Reid, D-Nev., said that was unlikely in the freewheeling Senate, where members have elaborate wish-lists for adding to the bill, including food stamps, Medicaid and heating assistance for low-income people and spending on infrastructure projects, among other things.

"I think that there's 51 Democratic senators without exception who believe this package can be made better," Reid said, adding that he also expected to have enough GOP support to change it.

Sen. Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., the minority leader, said reopening the deal would be inappropriate.

"This is not a time to get into some kind of testing of wills between the two congressional bodies. This is a time to show we can rise above partisanship, do something important, and do it quickly," McConnell said.

The House plan brought together Democrats and Republicans, both of whom surrendered cherished proposals to reach a deal and cautioned against adding items that could hinder an economic recovery or scuttle the agreement.

"It's important that this bill not get overloaded. I have a full agenda of things I would like to have in the package, but we have to contain the price," Pelosi said. "We made a decision, because that's where we could find our common ground."

Americans "expect us to find ways to work together, not reasons to fight with each other," said Rep. John A. Boehner, R-Ohio, who forged the agreement with Pelosi in consultation with Treasury Secretary Henry M. Paulson.

"The sooner we get this relief in the hands of the American people, the sooner they can begin to do their job of being good consumers," Boehner said.

The measure would send rebates to some 111 million people, including roughly 35 million families who don't make enough to pay income taxes. Individuals with adjusted gross income of $75,000 and couples making $150,000 would get rebates equal to the taxes they paid, up to $600 for individuals and $1,200 for couples. Those making more than that would see their rebate go down by 5 percent of every dollar of income over the limits.

Taxpayers would get at least $300, even if they paid less than that in taxes — or $600 for couples. That's also the case for those who don't pay income taxes but earn at least $3,000.

All eligible people would get an additional $300 per child.

In the Senate, Baucus' proposal removes the income caps and would send rebates to some 20 million senior citizens not covered by the House plan because they don't have income. Baucus' plan also extends unemployment payments for 13 weeks for those whose benefits have run out, with 26 more weeks available in states with the highest jobless rates.

The Senate measure would restore a business tax break dropped during the House negotiations that would permit corporations suffering losses now to reclaim taxes previously paid.

Both packages include roughly $50 billion worth of tax incentives for businesses to invest in new plants and equipment.

To address the mortgage crisis, the House bill would raise the limit on Federal Housing Administration loans from $362,790 to as high as $729,750 in expensive areas, allowing more subprime mortgage holders to refinance into federally insured loans. To widen the availability of mortgages nationwide, it also would boost the cap on loans that Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac can buy, from $417,000 up to $729,750 in high-cost markets. Those measures would expire at the end of the year.

Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y, said Tuesday that he plans to ensure those changes are part of the Senate stimulus bill.

FOX News' Chad Pergram and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,326346,00.html

Illegal Immigrant Taxpayers to Benefit From Stimulus Package

This is totally nuts. I am with Tom Tancredo. I remember as soon as I heard about the package I knew exactly what is going to happen. This package will attract more illegal aliens because if in their countries they do not get a decent job and the USA is giving money away, I am going to the USA.

This money is supposed to help stimulate the US economy. How much of the money going to illegal aliens is going to stay here? How much of it will be wired back to their homeland? Also, I am still unclear on the $300 a child-will they get that too?

Nicole

Illegal Immigrant taxpayers

I can see it now. Suddenly the "taxpayers" using ITIN's will each have 15 children, eligible for additional rebates. No one checks if the claims for 15 kids is legit. How can they if the kids or ITIN filers have no Social Security number???

Another 200,000 crossed the border today-will they get rebates too?

I have lost ALL CONFIDENCE in our "government" Actually, I think this whole economic emergency is contrived to take attention away from illegal immigration. Funny how it got worse so close to the primary in Florida. Also funny how the candidates don't see a relationship in the credit-mortgage crisis and banks giving credit to illegals.

Yep, got to stimulate them to have more children, have to keep that Reconquista going.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Rep. Tom Tancredo, R-Colo., told FOX News that the bill will certainly stimulate "more illegal immigration."

Everything this government does "stimulates more illegal immigration!"

Tancredo knows that. He's preaching to the choir!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Just heard on Fox that Sen Ensign will introduce an amendment to the senate bill so illegals will not qualify.

What's sad is language excluding illegals from this distribution should have been included in the bill to begin with. Lets hope the amendment passes.

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Illegal aliens eligible for stimulus money

Any extra money that illegal aliens receive from our Federal Government
    will simply be sent back to their original home countries, such as Mexico,
    in the form of remittances. This will totally negate what the money was
    intended for in the first place! The money was supposed to stimulate the
    American economy, not theirs!

Sometimes, I wonder if our Government does things like this on purpose. If enough wealth is transferred from the US to Mexico, balancing out the prosperity of the Nations, then this will create more of an excuse to form a North American Union, which is what some of our Congressional representatives secretly want.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast