Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Immigrants Leaving Area Before New Law Takes Effect

Illegal Immigrants Leaving Area Before New Law Takes Effect
    POSTED: 5:27 pm CDT October 26, 2007

OKLAHOMA CITY -- A state law that cracks down on illegal immigration does not go into effect until Thursday, but Hispanic advocates said it has already led to fears that have driven thousands of people from Oklahoma.

Oklahoma is poised to join states like Arizona, Colorado and Georgia that have passed similar measures out of frustration with Congress' failure to act on comprehensive immigration reform.

Public benefits for illegal immigrants will be reduced and prospective employees will have to verify their legal status through a federal online program. The law promotes stronger efforts by police to identify, detain and turn over illegal immigrants to federal authorities and makes it a felony to transport or harbor people without legal immigration status.

Latino groups said upward of 20,000 illegal immigrants have fled Tulsa alone in recent weeks. The fear may be greatest there because sheriff's deputies have been trained to assist federal immigration officers.

Police leaders in Oklahoma City are not following Tulsa's example, saying they have their hands full fighting crime and don't want to be immigration officers.

Oklahoma City Police Chief Bill Citty, for instance, has said his officers will follow the law, but will not check Hispanics' legal status unless they commit a crime.

He is concerned that burglaries and other crimes in the Hispanic community are going unreported because illegal immigrants are afraid to contact police.

In Oklahoma City, Hispanics have mostly settled in the southwest part of town, building businesses and going to formerly all-white churches in an area known as Capitol Hill. In Tulsa, the Hispanic population is more scattered.

An example of the Hispanic growth in Oklahoma City is Columbus Elementary School. The school is at least 85 percent Hispanic, up from 4.5 percent 17 years ago.

Principal Phil Cunningham said some families are alarmed.

"The families I know that are outside the documentation status are law abiding and hard working and should be treated with compassion, dignity and justice," Cunningham said.

Pat Fennel, director of the Latino Community Development Agency in Oklahoma City, said the law could be devastating to young Hispanics born in Oklahoma of illegal immigrants.

"These children are U.S. citizens, but they are in no man's land. Their country where they were born doesn't want them, but the country where their parents were born doesn't want them either."

The measure was opposed by some farmers and business groups, who say the state needs immigrant workers. Those objections led to a delay until July 1, 2008, of a section requiring online documentation of immigrant workers before they can be hired.

The drive for passage of the immigration bill was pushed by Republican lawmakers after polls showed illegal immigration to be a leading concern of Oklahomans.

In signing the measure into law, Democratic Gov. Brad Henry urged lawmakers to monitor its impact to make sure it does not have unintended consequences.

"While some will undoubtedly claim this state legislation is a landmark step forward, the truth of the matter is we will not effectively address immigration reform until the federal government acts," Henry said.

Manuel, 23, one of several illegal immigrants who spoke to The Associated Press on condition last names not be used, has three children and a wife who were born in this country and are legal residents.

"It's a killer, man. I don't want to go to Mexico. I don't know nobody there. I was only three when my parents brought me across the border. Now I've got kids of my own," Manuel said.

"I don't want to leave them. I don't know if I could ever get back.

"I work hard. I pay taxes. I feel like I'm an American and an Oklahoman, but I'm always looking over my shoulder."

Jose and Luz, both in their early 40s, have a successful cleaning business in Oklahoma City. It's a step down from their careers in Columbia, where Jose was an engineer and Luz was a dentist.

After eight years, they have three children, a home with a mortgage and all the appearances of a good life, except for the threat of being discovered, heightened by the new immigration law.

"Luz has trouble sleeping at night. She has depression and has to take medicine," said Maria, Jose's brother. "They are good people. They have a lot of values. They've thought about going back, but it would be too hard on the kids."

"It's almost impossible to become legal once you are in illegal status, unless you marry a U.S. citizen," Maria said.

Alejandra, 21, goes to college and works as a part-time telemarketer in Tulsa, where she came on a six-month visa from Peru in 2003. She said many of her friends, some brought to the United States from Mexico as infants, are fearful about the law and are leaving Oklahoma.

"It's like they are being deported from their own country," she said. "One of my best friends just left for Oregon with her two babies."
    http://www.koco.com/news/14434766/detai ... l&psp=news
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Pat Fennel, director of the Latino Community Development Agency in Oklahoma City, said the law could be devastating to young Hispanics born in Oklahoma of illegal immigrants.

"These children are U.S. citizens, but they are in no man's land. Their country where they were born doesn't want them, but the country where their parents were born doesn't want them either."
    1. . . using the kids . . .

Manuel, 23, one of several illegal immigrants who spoke to The Associated Press on condition last names not be used, has three children and a wife who were born in this country and are legal residents.

"It's a killer, man. I don't want to go to Mexico. I don't know nobody there. I was only three when my parents brought me across the border. Now I've got kids of my own," Manuel said.
    2. . . .using the kids sins of the father. Why would you have kids when you know you are here illegally and could be kicked out any day. This is YOU AND YOUR WIFE's FAULT, JUST LIKE IT WAS YOUR PARENTS FAULT.

I work hard. I pay taxes. I feel like I'm an American and an Oklahoman, but I'm always looking over my shoulder."
    Really under whose social security number? Americans aren't always looking over their shoulder unless they are CRIMINALS such as yourself. But they are CITIZENS and you aren't . . . . see the difference bud?

"
    Luz has trouble sleeping at night. She has depression and has to take medicine," said Maria, Jose's brother. "They are good people. They have a lot of values. They've thought about going back, but it would be too hard on the kids."

"It's almost impossible to become legal once you are in illegal status, unless you marry a U.S. citizen," Maria said.
    So . . why are you still here? Go home people, take your anchor babies with you because we have no use for them and while you're there protest in the streets, demand human rights, jobs and living conditions. There ya go problems all solved.
    It's Time to Rescind the 14th Amendment

Senior Member ourcountrynottheirs's Avatar
    "It's like they are being deported from their own country," she said.
    This statement illustrates the level of denial they are in regarding their illegal status.

LET THIS BE A WARNING TO ALL AMERICANS! ILLEGAL ALIENS WANT YOU!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

They should sell their home, business and go start anew in their own country, if they had such great jobs their why did they come here to have their anchor babies?

------------ACTION ALERT! ----------------------
    ACTIVIST...."AG'S JOB BILL RAISES IT'S UGLY HEAD AGAIN" PLEASE MAKE CALLS, E-MAILS AND FAXES!!
    NOW!!!
    Link to action thread!!
    http://www.alipac.us/ftopict-88376.html
    Contact Info...Senators, Representatives & USEFUL INFORMATION
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=F ... c&p=384761
    PLEASE HELP KEEP ALIPAC AFLOAT: ALL DONATIONS APPRECIATED!!
    http://www.alipac.us/modules.php?name=C ... page&pid=9
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Sniff, Sniff.....awww.

YOOO HOOO....Manueellll....You've been here for TWENTY years now. You should have been taking steps a LONG time ago to become legal and you, your wife and anchor babies would not be in this mess.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Re: Illegal Immigrants Leaving Area Before New Law Takes Eff

Quote Originally Posted by zeezil

Jose and Luz, both in their early 40s, have a successful cleaning business in Oklahoma City. It's a step down from their careers in Columbia, where Jose was an engineer and Luz was a dentist.
    Wait a minute. This one deserves a closer look. Two highly educated people don't up and leave their country without a darn good reason. They certainly didn't cross the border to work as housekeepers. That doesn't even make sense. The whole story wasn't told and considering they fled a country like Columbia, I would have to assume their decision was based on the chaotic political climate there. Americans have historically taken a different view in cases like this and IF we knew the rest of the story, perhaps it would apply here.

I worked with a doctor who fled Salvador with his wife and children after watching as his sisters were gunned down in the street. The country was a war-torn hell. One doesn't give up being a doctor to work as a respiratory therapist without a good reason. Fear for his family's lives is a valid reason to flea.

Mod Edit

And don't jump me on this. I normally agree with at least 99% of what is said here. I live in a town overrun with illegals and gang problems. I believe in ALIPAC, Tancredo, and Lou Dobbs...Rah! Rah! Got it? LOL!
    Judy

I believe in ALIPAC, Tancredo, and Lou Dobbs...Rah! Rah! Got it? LOL!
    No, not really.

Regarding the article, it struck a chord with me because I have an American friend married to a guy from Colombia. I don't know whether or not he originally came here legally.

Anyway, he's a U.S. citizen now. It took about three years for him to become a citizen after they married.

But here's the thing. About a year ago my friend told me that his parents were coming to live with them. I said, "Oh, great! They must have gotten permission from the government, then?" (I said this to my friend)

She said, "No, they're just going to come and stay for good without papers." I said, "Oh."

I was really disappointed in both of them. But something happened, it was around the first indications of a crack down on illegal immigration and they decided not to come.

Instead my friend and her husband and their children (they now have children) are going frequently to Colombia. She says that they do not have any fears and that she loves to go there because her husband's family has a maid who pampers her and the kids and ladidada. You know the rest of the story there....

So, this is certainly at least ONE case that I know of personally where there is no fear of political persecution.....they just "wanted" to come here.

This is not a good sign for the American people, and another indication of the fraud and abuse that U.S. citizens are being subjected to regarding immigration, heyjude107.

And...
    The standards to become 'legit' dentists in Colombia and the US are not necessarily identical, nor even symmetric. My personal dentist... who was born outside the US and became a naturalized US citizen... has commented to me about the licensing standard used in several countries he has visited and has indicated that outside of the US/most of the EU/Australasia/etc; well, you're pretty much taking your chances. And that *assumes*, of course, that the licensing was all done above board with no payoffs/kickbacks/etc.

As in LegalUSCitizen's personal story above... divided loyalties are what is destroying this country. I am a firm believer in eliminating dual citizenship. People that come here must choose with which country their loyalty lies - and if they're going to come here and stay, then that loyalty should be first, foremost and exclusively in the new host country [US].

Housekeeping note: The author of the article spells the country's name as:
    'Columbia' - this is not correct. It should be 'Colombia' as LegalUSCitizen uses above.

Quote Originally Posted by PhredE
    As in LegalUSCitizen's personal story above... divided loyalties are what is destroying this country. I am a firm believer in eliminating dual citizenship. People that come here must choose with which country their loyalty lies - and if they're going to come here and stay, then that loyalty should be first, foremost and exclusively in the new host country [US].
    I absolutely agree with you Phred.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast