Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Illegal immigrants reach 150,000 in Michigan

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ar ... 70365/1001

Thursday, April 27, 2006

Illegal immigrants reach 150,000 in Mich.

Number is double what was previously estimated, according to Pew Hispanic Center.

Louis Aguilar / The Detroit News

Michigan has up to 150,000 immigrants living in the state illegally -- much higher than previous estimates, according to the Washington-based Pew Hispanic Center.

That's double the rough estimate of illegal residents in Michigan that has been given by the U.S. Department of Homeland Security. Calls to the department's Detroit office were not returned Wednesday afternoon.

The Pew Hispanic Center based its estimate on Census Bureau data from the 2005 March Current Population Survey, a monthly survey of 50,000 households nationwide. Pew estimates the United States has 11.5 million to 12 million undocumented residents. Michigan ranks 18th among the states, tied with Tennessee, in terms of the number of undocumented residents, according to the Pew estimate released Wednesday.

Both states have between 100,000 to 150,000 undocumented residents, according to the Pew report.

Immigration reform has become a heated national issue in recent weeks. President Bush wants a guest worker program, while some members of Congress are balking at what some members refer to as "amnesty" for illegal immigrants.

Lawmakers, with an eye on Election Day in just over six months, remain far apart on whether to crack down on illegal immigrants or embrace them as vital contributors to the U.S. economy.

Earlier this month, thousands of supporters of immigrants marched in downtown Detroit in opposition of Congressional bills that would clamp down on illegal workers. And 27 undocumented workers were arrested last week in a raid of a Livonia plant of IFCO System, a national pallet service firm.

It was described as a first step by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to crack down nationally on illegals in the workplace. The 27 workers arrested in Livonia now face deportation hearings or have already volunteered to return to their nations of origin.

Father Don Hanchon of Most Holy Redeemer Church in southwest Detroit works with the Latino community and supported the recent immigration rally in Detroit. Hanchon said undocumented workers have little fear of being caught at their workplace.

"There is significant employment of people who don't have proper documents … in construction, landscaping and the service industries," Hanchon said. "There is little sense of insecurity."

You can reach Louis Aguilar at (313) 222-2760 or laguilar@detnews.com
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

This really angers me. I have a good friend who lives in Michigan. She has been living hand to mouth on temp jobs for the last few years and she tells me that the work situation in Michigan is really dismal. And they have 150,000 ILLEGALS in a state that has such high unemployment? GRRRRRRR!!!!!!!

IL: "The Most Corrupt State in The Country outside of Mexico"
    That's what you get for electing a Canadian "Illegal" as your Governor.

All Liberal States should be screwed like this.

I serious doubt she'll do anything about it. Hell, they're her new constituents now. Unfortunately, it's the taxpayers who are the ones that has to foot the bill. I just wish they could force the cost down her constituents throat, the ones who voted for her.

Oh well, i guess we're not living in a perfect world.

"IMPEACH JORGE BUSH NOW!!"

our forefathers would never put up with these politicians -- they provided for TREASON in the Constitution for good reason and every state is bound by that provision
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"