http://fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2005 ... 005/133379

Illegal immigration is a betrayal of American sacrifice
October 6, 2005 1:06 am
The last sentence in Tom Loftain's letter should burn the conscience of us all ["Don't insult the legal immigrants, our ancestors," Sept. 27].

In response to another letter claiming that we are all illegal immigrants, Mr. Loftain said, "During World War II, I fought for this country and the freedom we all enjoy. Please don't ruin it by making Spanish the official language of the United States."

I thank Mr. Loftain for his service, past, present, and future. Every time there is an anni- versary of significant World War II battles, the rhetoric from politicians rings with praise for their sacrifices.

And those same representatives turn around and betray those sacrifices.

Some time ago, I saw a display at the Don Diego VFW in San Diego. One large room holds pictures, memorabilia, and biographies of Medal of Honor recipients from my area.

One can't help but be awestruck at the feats of self-sacrificing heroism. And we are betraying that sacrifice.

How? We have allowed illegal immigration to despoil the nation that they spilled their blood for.

In California, there are between 2 million and 6 million illegal aliens. Their children crowd our schools, stunting the education of the grandchildren of our courageous vets.

And if we remain silent or wring our hands and complain, but do nothing, then we are the silent co-betrayers of the trust that our military hands to us through their years of fear, desperation, injury, and death.

Congressmen say that illegal immigration has become a "high-octane" issue with their constituents. Have your congressmen heard from you?

Barbara Vickroy

Escondido, Calif.