Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

(Illegal) Migrant who lost her legs-test from God?

http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/ ... 29-ON.html

Migrant who lost her legs to train says it was test from God

Associated Press
    Apr. 29, 2005 07:15 AM

HARLINGEN, Texas - They walked for five days in sand and prickly brush, never seeming to get anywhere. The tostadas ran out, then the canned tuna and the water.

To Deyanira Gallegos Tapia, a 24-year-old Mexican woman who had sneaked into the United States with her brother and boyfriend, the train chugging north seemed like salvation.

But she slipped as she tried to hop on, and in a nightmare of awareness, she felt its wheels severing her legs.

Now in a Texas hospital, Gallegos doesn't dwell on her lost limbs - just the miracles she said keep her going.

"A lot of people feel that God punishes people, but I feel that he tests," she said. "I want to go back and tell people who like me try to follow their dream. Look what happened to me, and I still go on."

In Puebla, Mexico, Gallegos worked as a hotel maid and crafted glass Christmas ornaments to help pay for food and schooling for her 6-year-old son. But she dreamed of a better life for her child. She wanted to marry her boyfriend, Alejandro Sedano, and someday become a nurse.

Gallegos told her brother, Andres Arturo Fuente Tapia, that she and Sedano would join him as he prepared for an illegal trip across the border into Texas.

On April 12, they boarded a bus for Reynosa, across the Rio Grande from McAllen, Texas. They each paid a woman $1,400 to help them cross the river. They went on a small boat with four other people. One man was fat, and she worried the boat would sink.

But they made it across. A woman who was waiting in a station wagon left them at a motel in McAllen, but they decided on a different place. It was a lucky choice - the Border Patrol caught the others at the hotel.

After several days, another woman came and said she would get them a ride to just short of the Border Patrol checkpoint at Sarita, about 75 miles north of the border. After Sarita, the Border Patrol's saturation zone ends, and immigrants consider themselves home free.

But they were dropped in Raymondville, 52 miles short of their goal.

It's rough ranch land between Raymondville and Sarita, essentially Gulf Coast sand dunes sprouting cactus and mesquite trees. There is no water except for the occasional cattle trough.

"On the third day, we were out of food - just one can of tuna," Gallegos said.

They prayed for food and water. Miraculously, they found some - a jug of water, cans of bean and corn, and an orange.

"Sometimes other aliens will leave behind food, or sometimes smugglers will put food in different spots," Border Patrol spokesman Dan Doty said.

They followed the highway and train tracks north, and on April 22 decided to hop the train.

They missed the first one. She saw another one, and told her brother, "We need to catch it."

They gestured to the engineer, who nodded at them. The men made it on, but when her turn came she lost her grip and fell.

"I didn't feel anything but the train going over my leg," she said.

Both men jumped off the train when they saw that Gallegos had slipped.

Sedano, who was in the hospital room, began to cry as his girlfriend remembered looking down at what had been her legs after the train passed.

Her brother managed to flag down two people on the highway who happened to work for a local mission. One was a nurse who knew how to use clothing to staunch the bleeding.

She woke up in the hospital, where staff have given her food and toiletries and strangers have come to wish her well.

Immigration officials will allow Gallegos and the men to stay at a nearby mission while she receives medical treatment, but they likely will be deported eventually.

Gallegos said the most important thing is that she is alive and has a will to go on.

"Like everybody in Mexico, I have dreams and aspirations," she said. "They're not destroyed, just halted.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

illegal migrant that lost legs

I am sorry that this woman was injured. But this, and stories like it wouldn't happen, if they obeyed the law.

The stories just keep getting more ridiculous!
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: illegal migrant that lost legs

Quote Originally Posted by butterbean
    I am sorry that this woman was injured. But this, and stories like it wouldn't happen, if they obeyed the law.

The stories just keep getting more ridiculous!
    Exactly. I'm sick of this illegal alien sob stories. They need to stay on their side of the fence or come here the legal way so then they won't subject themselves to risk life and limb. Maybe they should be working to make life better for themselves in their own country.
    Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Now in a Texas hospital

'nough said
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

gp
    well we know one thing for sure...... once she finally is deported......... she wont be walking back accross the border.......

GP
    once she finally is deported......... she wont be walking back accross the border.
    1. They said "the others MIGHT be deported

2. IF she's ever deported {I don't think she will be cause now she has to receive DISABILITY from us........wait for the law suit!!!}

She'll probably get a ride back over with balloons and a band
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Also, from what I have been learning, the dream they seek is not an American Dream, but a dream of something else that does not involve the United States.

I'm sure they will be deported back to Mexico as they should be.

I'm sorry for the injury, but this is well-known from the articles that the train hopping is dangerous.

Duh.......
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

illegal migrant lost legs

Quote Originally Posted by gp
    well we know one thing for sure...... once she finally is deported......... she wont be walking back accross the border.......
    Don't be too sure. Some monkey lawyer will sue somebody for new legs, and she'll be dancing the loop-di-loop accross the border in no time. [/b]

Sure, they'll sue the Railroad. Won't win, but they'll sue anyway.

Oh.......wait a minute......didn't the Congress just pass a law to limit "frivolous lawsuits"?

Alien, Go Home, and take your brother and boyfriend with you.

Who may I ask is PAYING for this surgery and medical care?

Geez......I HOPE they will send the Bill to Vicente Fox and the Mexican Government......
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

JUDY wrote
    Geez......I HOPE they will send the Bill to Vicente Fox and the Mexican Government......
    Now I Know you're living on another planet, LOL

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast