Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegal Mother: My Unborn Child Deserves Citizenship

Updated: Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 10:08 PM MST
    Published : Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 9:24 PM MST

PHOENIX - Some Republican lawmakers in Arizona want to deny automatic citizenship to children born of illegal immigrants. We wanted to talk to someone who could be directly affected by this legislation. A woman who is 8 months pregnant and in the country illegally shared her story with FOX 10.

We'll call this undocumented expectant mother "Laura." She says her children deserve to be Americans, and she feels they shouldn't be penalized because she chose to cross the border illegally.

Laura says people like her have no choice but to come to America. In Mexico, there is no work, and it is dangerous.

She says every child deserves an opportunity better than that.

Laura came to the U.S. years ago by herself. She worked in hopes of becoming self-sufficient, and later fell in love. Her first-born son is 7 years old and a U.S. citizen. So is her husband.

Laura's greatest fear is to be separated from her family.

Supporters of the proposal argue that the wording of the 14th Amendment, which guarantees citizenship to people born in the U.S. who are "subject to the jurisdiction" of this country, doesn't apply to the children of illegal immigrants because such families don't owe sole allegiance to the U.S.

Opponents say the proposal is mean-spirited toward immigrants, won't make a dent in the state's immigration woes, and will be declared unconstitutional by the courts.

The proposal aims to get a court to rule that a child born in the U.S. is a citizen only if one of the parents is a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant. That means that in Laura's case, supposing the bill does become law, her unborn daughter would be exempt -- because Laura's husband is legal.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/im ... f=obinsite

You should have thought of that before you jumped the fence. You married a U.S. citizen in the hopes of gaining legal residency.

Opponents say the proposal is mean-spirited toward immigrants, won't make a dent in the state's immigration woes, and will be declared unconstitutional by the courts.
    Again, trying to confuse "immigrant" will "illegal alien." It won't work.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I thought if one parent was an American citizen, the child could claim American citizenship.

Isn't that how Obama got to be a US citizen??

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12
    I thought if one parent was an American citizen, the child could claim American citizenship.

Both parents can be illegal, but if the child is born here, the child is granted automatic, birth right citizenship, per the 14 amendment of the Constitution.

I think we need to deny hozpitalization for illegal births. A pregnacy isn't emergency care. The Mom had 9 months to plan this birth. The problem, is they would do it any way. On the north bank of the Rio Grande, in the park, fire staition, at their illegal place of employment.

I support a CHANGE to birthright citizenship. At one time, I thought it made this country better than others. Unfortunately, with so many taking advantage of it, the country is being destroyed by it.

Deport this Mother the week she is due, or walk here across the border when the labor pains start.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby12

"The proposal aims to get a court to rule that a child born in the U.S. is a citizen only if one of the parents is a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant. That means that in Laura's case, supposing the bill does become law, her unborn daughter would be exempt -- because Laura's husband is legal."

Just hogwash story about another lawbreaker that needs 30+ days in
    tent city then a swift deportation.

Wrong, the proposal will make a great dent in our immigration woes - especially financially and greatly curtail the criminal gang element as our law enforcement will then not be fighting such a losing battle.

Now, that said, I just have to sigh regarding the dangerous part of living in Mexico. I would not want that either but to call the most welcoming people in the world mean-spirited... well, it just doesn't help your case. What these people have failed and still fail to understand is that there is a finite amount of $$ that taxpayers have to give! We are not money machines these people seem to think we are. And that the lawlessness that is Mexico has now permeated into the U.S. and our citizens are going to fight back.

It is a sad situation that has taken decades to grow to where it is now. If only the Mexicans had stayed in their own country and not allowed it to be taken over by souless criminals! And now, the Mexican males run and leave the women to take a stand!

As has been said here often in this forum, if the 20,000 (probably more) illegal aliens here in this country along with the good Mexican people still there, especially the so-called macho men would take a stand against the crime lords once and for all, perhaps (and I know that is a scary thing to comtemplate), perhaps they would take THEIR beloved country back enough to make it a reasonably safe place to live again. But they will have to get angry enough and stop running to do so. Thousands and thousands of Americans fought and died to make this country one that people from all over the world envy. And hopefully that doesn't have to happen again...
    As Aristotle said, “Tolerance and apathy are the first virtue of a dying civilization.â€

sure it does, citizenship in YOUR home Country not mine!

"They should deport her because she's stupid, and she's just pandering for all her illegal relatives!"
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Illegal Mother: My Unborn Child Deserves Citizenship

Quote Originally Posted by jamesw62

Updated: Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 10:08 PM MST
    Published : Thursday, 27 Jan 2011, 9:24 PM MST

PHOENIX - Some Republican lawmakers in Arizona want to deny automatic citizenship to children born of illegal immigrants. We wanted to talk to someone who could be directly affected by this legislation. A woman who is 8 months pregnant and in the country illegally shared her story with FOX 10.

We'll call this undocumented expectant mother "Laura." She says her children deserve to be Americans, and she feels they shouldn't be penalized because she chose to cross the border illegally.

Laura says people like her have no choice but to come to America. In Mexico, there is no work, and it is dangerous.

She says every child deserves an opportunity better than that.

Laura came to the U.S. years ago by herself. She worked in hopes of becoming self-sufficient, and later fell in love. Her first-born son is 7 years old and a U.S. citizen. So is her husband.

Supporters of the proposal argue that the wording of the 14th Amendment, which guarantees citizenship to people born in the U.S. who are "subject to the jurisdiction" of this country, doesn't apply to the children of illegal immigrants because such families don't owe sole allegiance to the U.S.

The proposal aims to get a court to rule that a child born in the U.S. is a citizen only if one of the parents is a U.S. citizen or a legal immigrant. That means that in Laura's case, supposing the bill does become law, her unborn daughter would be exempt -- because Laura's husband is legal.

http://www.myfoxphoenix.com/dpp/news/im ... f=obinsite

the American did not Just get off the Boat girl . & your baby don't Deserves citizen ship at all
    so for Get about it go back the hell home Toot . you Illegal Immigrant must think the American don't know what the hell is going On well think again you married a guy or a girl . & say . yes im a citizen Now it don 't work that way don't work that way any more toot
    NO Amnesty
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

not true

In Mexico, there is no work, and it is dangerous.
    The current unemployment rate in Mexico is about half that of the USA's.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast