Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Illegals will close hospitals- FROM WITHIN

Sunday, May 08, 2005
    http://kidneynotes.blogspot.com/2005/05 ... occus.html

Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) Infections

I recently took care of an eighty year old man who lived at home and was admitted with pneumonia. He arrived in septic shock with acute renal failure and required mechanical ventilation, aggressive fluid resuscitation, medications to support his blood pressure, and emergency dialysis. This isn't all that unusual. What was unusual was the organism which caused his pneumonia: methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA).

MRSA is a aggressive bacteria which is resistant to most of the antibiotics that are first-line therapies for pneumonia. Hospitals are breeding grounds for resistant bacteria like MRSA, so it's much more common for people to develop MRSA pneumonia after they've been in the hospital, especially if they're on a ventilator. MRSA is not the usual organism that doctors think of when people come to the hospital from home. But this is clearly changing. In a recent study in the New England Journal, between 8% - 20% of all MRSA infections were acquired in the community.

The standard of care has evolved. Any life-threatening infection that could be caused by Staphylococcus aureus -- even if the patient is not hospitalized -- should be initially treated with vancomycin or another antibiotic that covers MRSA. This is one of those situations where you can't afford to be wrong.

Surprisingly, the patient did well. After MRSA was identified, he was treated with a prolonged course of Zyvox (linezolid), which has more activity against MRSA than vancomycin. He stayed in the hospital for two months and eventually came off dialysis, was weaned from the ventilator, and went home.
    Sixx says: This some wicked stuff. With illegals taking up the hospital rooms, don't be suprised to see this coming to a theater near YOU!! It is also in the jails. Quick: Who makes up over 30% of the jail/prison populations, especially in L.A.? BINGO - ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS.
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

Very informative post. Another problem concerns illegal Mexican inmates who are discovered to "active" T.B. cases. Their treatment requires prolonged treatment that must be completed as prescibed by doctors.

Sosmetimes the illegal is released from jail/prison back to the community. Public health officials must arrange to followup the uncompleted treatments post incarceration. Some of these characters disappear and never complete the treatment.

These kind on "non-compliant" patients are a worry because they cause the spread of "medication resistant" strains of T.B.

We Americans with porous borders are playing Russion Roulette with our health system. However, it is politically incorrect to sound off on these problems... what stupidity!

This gives me chills just reading about it.

I am printing your letter Sixx, just so I know that I am getting the right drugs if it comes my way.

Quote Originally Posted by Darlene
    This gives me chills just reading about it. :(

I am printing your letter Sixx, just so I know that I am getting the right drugs if it comes my way. :roll: :wink:
    It's on it's way, trust me :evil:
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN