Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Immigrants bill is approved in North Carolina

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 530179.htm

Posted on Thu, Sep. 01, 2005

Immigrants bill is approved
    But measure making it harder to get a license may wait until spring

JIM MORRILL
    Staff Writer

N.C. lawmakers have approved a bill that would make it harder for illegal immigrants to get driver's licenses -- but they might not sign off on the measure until next spring.

House members this week passed a bill to bar the use of Individual Taxpayer Identification Numbers to get a license. So-called ITINs are often used by immigrants who lack a Social Security number.

The bill also makes a license expire shortly after an immigrant visa expires.

Before the bill becomes law, negotiators have to iron out minor differences with a Senate version. But with lawmakers expected to adjourn any day, that may not happen until next year's short session starts in May.

North Carolina is one of a handful of states that allows the use of ITINs to get licenses. Sponsors say the changes are needed.

"We just want to get in step with the rest of the country," said Sen. David Hoyle, D-Gaston, who introduced the changes in the Senate. "And we don't need to make it whether just anybody can get a driver's license whether they're here legally or illegally. We don't need to have another terrorist attack and somebody have a North Carolina driver's license in their billfold. That's what we don't need."

Latino advocates question the measures.

"Unfortunately our borders are porous, and a law like this does not automatically make people leave the country," said Angeles Ortega-Moore, executive director of Charlotte's Latin American Coalition. "It sort of gives everybody a false sense of security by thinking if you do not get a driver's license, you will not drive."

She said making licenses harder to get would make it harder to know who's in the country and encourage use of fraudulent documents.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thank You for posting this article Brian. I read this in the Charlotte Observer today at lunch. I have had a pretty consistent exchange with the Charlotte Observer for about 2 years now and they have only printed one letter I wrote, which was this past April about the in-state tuition deal.
    "No tuition break for Outlaws" was the article.

Writing here as well because
    I received this e-mail from Sue Myrick's office just recently following the Gastonia townhall meeting and was wondering if anyone else here had gotten the same e-mail:

Letter:

I wanted to update you on some encouraging news that was just brought to my attention. Apparently, a week and a half after our event in Gastonia, where we collectively expressed our desire for the state to stop issuing drivers licenses to people who provide a taxpayer identification number, an amendment was added to a bill to do just that. The amendment is now part of the larger bill that will be voted on this Tuesday in Raleigh.

I find it more than coincidental that after Rep. Sue Myrick threatened to cut off the federal transportation funds for North Carolina if they continued to issue drivers licenses based on the use of taxpayer identification numbers that an amendment to do just what we demanded materializes. Whatever their motives, we rejoice that this change is about to take place. Please note that this fact has not been covered by our state's media. Wonder why?

Finally, Sue Myrick plans to introduce the Scott Gardner Act on Sept 14th (Wednesday) in Washington, DC. Stay tuned. I know some of the family is planning to come to DC for this event. If any others want to attend, contact Heidi Hall as she is helping put together the trip.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This movement on securing NC DL's is very significant and am wondering that Alipac should start calls immediately or is it too late with the session ending???

As many know here, the Charlotte Observer's involvement with this issue is sympathetic, bias reporting that leans pro-illegal Alien. And I hound them about it. This Mr. Jim Morrill was at the Gastonia town hall meeting.

Angela Ortgea-Moore illegally aids and abets illegal Aliens and I have made responses to her appearances and actions in the Charlotte Observer
    and in Charlotte. Ortega-Moore is head of the Latin American Coalition (an illegal Invader group).
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    We also see here that the postponement of a vote on this legislation until Spring is either disinformation from the Charlotte Observer to peel off action 'for' the legislation or this is the truth where once again our weak Legislators 'soft glove' illegal Aliens to give them warning and enough time to jam into DMV's to get NCDL's en masse until the loophole is closed! Which is an outrage! This is one THE MOST hugely significant enforcements that needs passing to make NC not a magnet for illegal invasion. Let's take action behind Myrick's headway.