Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants get lessons on local laws

Published: March 3, 2010
    Updated: 5:57 p.m.

Immigrants get lessons on local laws

BY CINDY CARCAMO
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

SANTA ANA - Nailea Anguiano arrived at the Mexican Consulate early Wednesday expecting long lines, not a pitch from Santa Ana police.

The 30-year-old was pleased. Not only did she turn in some necessary paperwork for a U.S. immigration appointment next week, but she also discovered that there's a number she can call to report the graffiti she hates spotting on her morning commute through the city.

"This is great. I didn't know who to call," she said. "Now I know."

Anguiano was one of more than 50 people who showed up at the consulate office on various errands and found themselves a captive audience for Santa Ana police officials' first presentation aimed at Mexican nationals who may not be familiar with U.S. and local laws.

The morning presentations, scheduled to take place almost every Wednesday, tackle safety issues -- from the importance of crime reporting to risks associated with driving without a license, said Santa Ana police Deputy Chief Carlos Rojas.

"There's a whole broad spectrum of issues to help them get acclimated to living here in Santa Ana," Rojas said. "We're here to at least provide them with awareness."

Rosa Palacios nodded in approval as she listened to Santa Ana police Service Officer Sylvia Guillen speak about ways to keep teens away from gangs.

The Garden Grove mother of three said she still remembers cutting up her son's baggy pants and scavenging through one of her son's belongings for signs of trouble.

"When I was going through all that, I wish there was something like this," she said.

Mexican Consul Alejandra Garcia Williams, who pitched the initiative with Santa Ana Chief Paul Walters, said she thinks the consulate office is the perfect venue for educating Mexicans, putting them at ease.

"The consul is the home of Mexicans here," she said. "This is so they can better participate in civic matters and to avoid infractions that may later become bigger problems."

The crowd seemed quite timid and perhaps a little wary at first. By the end of the second presentation, however, groups of people surrounded the table, taking brochures on a variety of safety issues from bicycle helmet wear to signs of adolescent gang membership.

Raul Jimenez, a 60-year-old visiting from Azusa, quizzed one of the officers on how to join the force.

"My son just graduated from high school," Jimenez said. "He wants to be a police officer. How does he do that?"

Contact the writer: 714-796-7924 or ccarcamo@ocregister.com

http://www.ocregister.com/news/santa-23 ... e-one.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"The consul is the home of Mexicans here," she said. "This is so they can better participate in civic matters and to avoid infractions that may later become bigger problems."
    But how many have infractions, like crossing the border illegally? Not worth mentioning these days. Silly me.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Park an I.C.E. van out front next week and see how many people show up and hang around.
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn