Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigrants: losing grip on the American dream

Immigrants: losing grip on the American dream

Updated: Oct 13, 2008 11:27 AM PDT

We're seeing the economy hit every aspect of life, and now it's hitting something you might not expect. News 3's Hetty Chang explains why for the first time in a long time, we're is seeing a decline when it comes to immigration.

Every year, about 800,000 illegal immigrants come to the United States. Now, that number is down to 500,000. With less work here, some migrant workers have no other choice but to return to their home countries.

For many Americans, they've watched their hard-earned dollars slipping away. But others far from Wall Street are also losing their grip on the American Dream.

Patricio is a day laborer. Usually, he can send $50 per week to his family in Mexico. But lately, the economic downturn has trickled down to the lowest paying of jobs, and it's changing immigration in ways this country has never seen.

"I have a family to support," says Patricio. "This week I've only worked two days. That's it."

Unemployment is on the rise and it's leaving some employers with plenty of vacancies.

"For the first time in over 10 years, there are more legal immigrants coming in than illegals coming in," says Peter Ashman, Immigration attorney. "Janitorial companies - those places are having difficulty, even in this economy. They want to hire legal workers with documents, but if those people don't exist, where do they go?"

It's an issue that has remained undecided.

"When our economy grows again - and it will - we still need to find a way to be able to bring these workers in legally so we don't have the problems we've been having with illegal immigration in the past 10 years."

While 12 million illegal immigrants are living in the United States, one-third of legal immigrants are from Latin America. And in a key swing state like Nevada, both presidential hopefuls are vying for that vote.

"As president, I will secure the borders," says McCain. Adds Obama, "This election is about the 12 million people living in the shadows."

Both candidates support a guest worker program and both voted in favor of extending the border fence.

National poll results from last week show 26 percent of Hispanics in favor of McCain, while 64 percent prefer Obama. Of course, in a swing state like Nevada, it's still too close to tell.

An interesting side note to all of this is that Mexico's Central Bank is reporting a 12 percent drop in deposits. Experts say it's because migrant workers aren't sending money back home.

http://www.kvbc.com/Global/story.asp?S=9168908
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Gee, I dunno. My handyman and my lawn guy were both Americans. The workmen the furnace company sent out were both Americans. The water heater guy was an American. Someone is finding workers here.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Adds Obama, "This election is about the 12 million people living in the shadows."
    Well, gee that about sums it up, eh??? LOL...
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Every year, about 800,000 illegal immigrants come to the United States. Now, that number is down to 500,000. With less work here, some migrant workers have no other choice but to return to their home countries.
    I would think that this would be something to cheer about, not whine about.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Half a mil a year of illegals is still too many for me. And I would be the first to assist in making sure illegals don't ever get their fingers on the American dream again.
    A word of wisdom: go home and take your anchor babies with you.

BetsyRoss wrote:
    Gee, I dunno. My handyman and my lawn guy were both Americans. The workmen the furnace company sent out were both Americans. The water heater guy was an American. Someone is finding workers here.
    A couple of times when I was in Florida, I fired contractors as soon as their no-speakedy-Ingles crews showed up on my property.

Betsy Ross

Most companies that pay good wages get all the American help they need.

At least that's my guess!

I think they are making it miserable in all countries so there's no "better" place to go to. People came for freedom.....now they come here for just money........without just money as the factor, there's no place like home.

Lately there's been very few who come here for freedom......most if given the choice would return home if war or whatever wasn't there. Immigration now, isn't what it used to be.

PULeeeeze.....GET ANOTHER PHRASE....I'm sooooo sick of hearing "living in the shadows." Every single politician has used it over and over and over.....even though they are thicker than flies in a lot of places, to these idiot politicians they are "lurking in the shadows." I guess the home mortgage they got was in the "shadow" too!?

PULeeeeze.....GET ANOTHER PHRASE....I'm sooooo sick of hearing "living in the shadows." Every single politician has used it over and over and over.....even though they are thicker than flies in a lot of places, to these idiot politicians they are "lurking in the shadows." I guess the home mortgage they got was in the "shadow" too!?

LOL.......my husband screams about this all the time......if this is the shadows........show me the light because NO ONE is hiding anymore.....it's in your face and down your throat!!!!!!! What shadow?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast