Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration activists conduct training in Salem

ANDREA J. WRIGHT | STATESMAN JOURNAL
    Galdina Larios (from left), 19, of Salem, and Roberto Tellez, 20, Maria Rodriguez, 18, Javier Mendoza, 15, Adriana Sanchez, 18, and Luis Arias, 13, all of Idaho, participate in "The Four Levels of Racism," a workshop, during a three-day conference at Chemeketa Community College. The conference is a training session for immigration activists.

Immigration bill

The U.S. Senate on Monday is scheduled to resume the debate about legislation that would create a guest-worker program and give legal status to millions of undocumented immigrants.

Related news from the Web
    Latest headlines by topic:
    • Activism

Powered by Topix.net

Immigration activists conduct training in Salem

Conference teaches how to galvanize the reform movement

THELMA GUERRERO
    Statesman Journal

May 14, 2006

They came to learn how to be leaders and advocates.

More than 100 college students from throughout Oregon and Idaho are in Salem this weekend to also learn how to organize marches, launch voter-registration drives and build alliances to push for legalizing immigrants who are living illegally in the United States.

The three-day conference, being held at Chemeketa Community College, is the last in a series of five training sessions held nationwide.

It's sponsored by the Washington, D.C.-based Center for Community Change, a nonprofit advocacy group, and the Fair Immigration Reform Movement, a coalition of nationwide community groups.

Galdina Larios, 19, a Salem resident and first-year student at CCC, said she was at the conference because she wanted to make a difference in immigrants' lives.

"We can't remain quiet anymore," she said. "If we don't speak up, who will?"

As the immigration-reform battle intensifies, the students were encouraged to put together ideas to influence federal legislation that could put the nearly 11 million illegal immigrants in the U.S. on a path to citizenship.

That fight isn't just about illegal immigrants from Mexico, said Bret Noble, 23, a junior at Boise State University in Idaho.

"We're trying to break the stereotype that immigration is only a Latino issue," Noble said. "It's also about illegal immigrants from Western Europe, Asia, Africa and other nations."

For other students, the fight is about human rights.

"It's silly that an issue of this magnitude can be reduced to an issue of national origin," said Erin Leonardson, 23, a senior at Boise State.

Students also learned how to push for passage of the Development, Relief and Education for Alien Minors (DREAM) Act, a federal measure that would allow certain illegal students from different nations to attend college and become U.S. citizens.

tguerrer@StatesmanJournal.com or (503) 399-6815

http://www.statesmanjournal.com/apps/pb ... /605140328

Will someone kick these kids' in the head??? They are hurting their own future!
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

They have had years of brainwashing and believe they are saving the world. Meanwhile they are destroying it. I have a young guy at myshop that is fairly new, just started with me, he's in college. We get on the subject as we do everyday because i go on a rant every morning. I even encourage customers to join in and they do. So, when Joe first started I brought it up, his first comment was, "They're just day laborers I would just leave them be" well well well....did I have an earfull for him. Needless to say I turned him onto this site, asked him to just read a bit and see. It turns out thats what they are teaching them in schools, NOT the truth. Young Joe did check out ALIPAC, and is now teaching his teacher every chance he gets, and is up to the minute on this issue. I see it as being up to us to turn these kids around. They are being sold a movie in school and won't know the truth till its too late.....

Yep, parents are going to have to teach their kids and their kid's friends!

The professors we have now, want America changed, think we should be ashamed we are a successful country......

Remember when our sports teams went to the Olympics a few years ago, and were told not to act happy or proud if they won a metal? Now they can't put the flag on their vans during the world cup....telling them it's for safety reasons.....

I just wouldn't attend any of these things, if we can't show pride in our Country!

I think our kid's would be better off going to technical/vocational schools anyway.....seems like college doesn't do much good anymore, and they are being molded into what some kook professor wants them to be.
    Do not vote for Party this year, vote for America and American workers!

Check out this link. Keep in mind this lesson plan is for 3rd graders and this is just one example.

http://www.education.uiowa.edu/resource ... onplan.htm

It is not the kids fault. It is the parents of the this country who abdicated their responsibility as parents to the schools that are run by none other than our government.

Thank the good Lord I decided long ago my children would never step foot in one of these institutions of un-learning[/url]