Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

An Immigration Compromise Everyone Can Hate

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c ... N6O251.DTL -
    SFGate News Web by

Debra J. Saunders

An immigration compromise everyone can hate
    Debra J. Saunders

Sunday, January 28, 2007

IN HIS STATE of the Union address, President Bush told America, "We need to resolve the status of the illegal immigrants, who are already in our country, without animosity and without amnesty."

I'm all for that, so here's my idea: Let those who choose to come to America illegally or overstay their visas remain illegal, but let their minor children, whether born in America or not, become citizens.

No matter what Bush and Senate members wanted to call it, they were pushing for amnesty last year. And the biggest problem with amnesty is the magnet effect.

There are an estimated 12 million illegal immigrants in the United States today. A law that puts them on a path to citizenship would send a message to would-be immigrants across the globe that they can sneak into this country, break our laws and be rewarded.

Also, amnesty would have a multiplier effect. New legal residents can petition to allow a spouse or minor child into America. When they become citizens, they can bring in even more family members.

There is an ethical problem that comes in rewarding illegal behavior. First, people come or stay illegally in America. Next, they get fraudulent documents to work outside the law. You can't tell me that families can break those rules and still respect other federal and state laws.

Amnesty advocates argue that it is cruel to force families living in America to live outside the law. Is it? At some juncture in their lives, today's illegal immigrants decided that living and working illegally was acceptable. They made their bed.

Having said that, I am aware that I am on the losing side of history. The modern world has seen a global diaspora with poor around the world moving from south to north, east to west and west to east. There is only so much governments can do to stop people hungry for opportunity and a safe and stable place to stake their futures -- and it is that spirit that has made America great.

Both political parties are doing the math. They see millions of new voters -- the children of immigrants and aliens who find paths to citizenship -- and they do not want to alienate this very woo-able voting bloc.

Politicians also are listening to employers -- men and women who write campaign checks and warn that they need immigrant labor to stay in business. As far as many members of Congress are concerned, it is their job to pass guest-worker or visa programs to keep local businesses from closing up shop.

This much is clear: With a Democratic-led Congress and Bush in the White House, Washington will expand the number of legal immigrants in America.

Consider my proposal: Illegal immigrants remain, living in the shadows as they have chosen to do. If they don't break criminal laws, chances are they will stay here for as long as they are able or care to.

The federal government continues to crack down on employers who knowingly hire illegal workers. This should make it harder for undocumented workers to find jobs. The feds also step up the deportation of illegal aliens with criminal records.

Washington increases guest-worker programs and visas, but without laying a path to citizenship that undermines the credibility of immigration law.

But, because no 12-year-old decides to immigrate here illegally, Washington could pass a law to grant citizenship to the illegal minors when they reach age 18. (Children born in America to illegal immigrants already become citizens.)

I've opposed moves to allow illegal immigrant students to attend state colleges at the cheaper in-state tuition rate -- because it rewards parents' illegal decisions -- but in the post 2006 election environment, this is a fit area for compromise.

Allow me to get personal for a minute. Last May, I received hundreds of e-mails from readers who were furious at the May 1 National Day Without Immigrants Great American Boycott demonstrations. I shared their anger that many thousands believed they had a right to break the law and still be rewarded with citizenship. As for the Mexican flags waved at similar demonstrations -- let's just say there was no better way to turn off American voters.

When I speak to local groups, I frequently hear from people who are furious about the lack of enforcement of immigration law. Some know people who have been told that they have to learn Spanish to keep their jobs. Others are angry when they've been forced to compete in the marketplace with businesses that hire illegal workers. Many resent having to pay higher taxes because their state and local governments end up paying for health care and schooling for the children of illegal immigrants.

Most of the people I hear from are not racists. But there are always a few people who use a certain tone of voice as they carp about "the Mexicans." And they don't seem to notice the workers in white shirts and black pants clearing away their plates in the back of the room. I hate those moments.

Why? Because for all the ways that folks like me are right, there are also millions of good people who want little more than to work hard and raise a family. They should pay a price for deciding that abiding by American immigration laws was a luxury they could not afford. But their children are Americans.

E-mail: dsaunders@sfchronicle.com.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Good article CCUSA. I think the title says it all.

I couldn't disagree more with this writer. Quite frankly she pisses me off! She starts out strong but in the end essentially wants to give OBL almost all they ask for. Stay in the shadows my ass. A rose is a rose is a rose! Citizenship for kids?? FY! Kowtowing to business because "that's the way it is". Increase visa and "guest-worker" programs? Why and how come? Prove to me we need them? Particularly in the amounts our "Corporate leaders" say we do? I'm sorry but when America is about nothing but ultimately money and the dollar bill count me out. Is that all we are as Americans? workers? If we have to depend so widely of foreign labor we are not really sovereign or as strong a country as we think. I also vehemently object to huge immigration policies that change the very essence of who and what we are. No thank you!

Both political parties are doing the math. They see millions of new voters -- the children of immigrants and aliens who find paths to citizenship -- and they do not want to alienate this very woo-able voting bloc.
    I'm glad they can do math but so what? And Us? Do we get a say? MY Uncle didn't die in Italy for this crap. My dad didn't serve in the Pacific to care about invaders and law breaker and I sure as hell didn't serve in the Air Force so "they" can ram this up my ass! If that is OK with you then you are my enemy. If we keep electing the same folks who don't give a damn about you/us then we get everything we deserve. I will not do so ever again!!!!

Having said that, I am aware that I am on the losing side of history. The modern world has seen a global diaspora with poor around the world moving from south to north, east to west and west to east. There is only so much governments can do to stop people hungry for opportunity and a safe and stable place to stake their futures -- and it is that spirit that has made America great.
    That is complete and utter BS! What MS Saunders is saying here is that essentially Sovereign nations can not ultimately protect themselves from invasion. In addition accommodating these invaders, law breakers and those who mean us harm is NOT the spirit that made America great!

Allow me to get personal for a minute. Last May, I received hundreds of e-mails from readers who were furious at the May 1 National Day Without Immigrants Great American Boycott demonstrations. I shared their anger that many thousands believed they had a right to break the law and still be rewarded with citizenship. As for the Mexican flags waved at similar demonstrations -- let's just say there was no better way to turn off American voters.

When I speak to local groups, I frequently hear from people who are furious about the lack of enforcement of immigration law. Some know people who have been told that they have to learn Spanish to keep their jobs. Others are angry when they've been forced to compete in the marketplace with businesses that hire illegal workers. Many resent having to pay higher taxes because their state and local governments end up paying for health care and schooling for the children of illegal immigrants.
    As I said above IF "We The People" allow this to stand, woe be us, and we will get everything we deserve! Are we Americans, soverign peoples or just consumers and workers?

Most of the people I hear from are not racists. But there are always a few people who use a certain tone of voice as they carp about "the Mexicans." And they don't seem to notice the workers in white shirts and black pants clearing away their plates in the back of the room. I hate those moments.
    What is the point of this paragraph? Noticing that most invaders are Mexican is not racist. Or are you insinuating racist by association? Are you guilty of something? Is the fact that many Mexicans are racist relevant? So tired of this race shit.

there are also millions of good people who want little more than to work hard and raise a family. They should pay a price for deciding that abiding by American immigration laws was a luxury they could not afford. But their children are Americans.
    They should go home and no their children are not! This writer is pretending to be one thing but her writing suggest something totally different.
    [b]Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.
    - Arnold J. Toynbee

I agree Altura. I think she is just calling for our surrender. No, thanks.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I think the answer is simple...no compromise what-so-ever, for illegals or the illegal children, even if they are born on US soil.

Deport them or let them deport themselves.

Break the law and there are consequences!

Change your countries at home. Complain to them. They are the one's responsible for your situation not AMERICA!

Banned
    Funny, I can well remember when those busboys were high school and college kids, or young adults getting their first jobs. That's when kids actually were able to learn the value of earning what they wanted to have and working their way up the ladder. Nowadays they don't even have that option. My own nephew has just gone through this, finding it almost impossible to get hired and then facing hostility and alienation from the illegal co-workers when he finally was hired. He really wanted to keep the job, but the illegal aliens working there treated him as if he was some sort of invader on their turf and made working conditions intolerable.

The next time I have someone tell me to my face that I need those non-English-speaking invaders cleaning my table, I think I'll kick them square in the crotch and call them traitors to this nation and its future.

Compromise - NO WAY

Deport all illegals, no appeals. Stop going to places that use illegals. If they have children send the children with them.

I agree too; it is a compromise everyone can hate only in this version some of the details are shifted around. We can't afford compromise on this. Just enforce law!

The next time I have someone tell me to my face that I need those non-English-speaking invaders cleaning my table, I think I'll kick them square in the crotch and call them traitors to this nation and its future.
    Where is Crocket, and what have you done with him?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast