Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Immigration: Where California governor's race candidates stand

Immigration: Where California governor's race candidates stand

At the end of the 2018 California Gubernatorial Candidates' Forum, hosted by the California Council for the Social Studies in Mission Valley, the candidates met with another briefly. (Nelvin C. Cepeda)

By Union -TribuneContact Reporter

Four of the leading California gubernatorial candidates – Assemblyman Travis Allen, R-Huntington Beach, Republican business John Cox, and Democrats former state Superintendent of Public Instruction Delaine Eastin and former Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa — debated in San Diego on Sunday at a forum co-hosted by The San Diego Union-Tribune and ABC 10 News.

WATCH: Full video of the 2018 California Gubernatorial Candidates' Forum

PHOTO GALLERY: 2018 California Gubernatorial Candidates' Forum

RELATED: Where California governor's race candidates stand on gun violence

Where California governor's race candidates stand on the recent Sacramento shooting

Where California governor’s race candidates stand on sexual harassment

Where California governor’s race candidates stand on education reform, teacher tenure, free tuition

California governor's race candidates describe Gov. Jerry Brown and President Donald Trump in one word

The U-T has transcribed the answers. Here is what the candidates said about immigration when asked to answer in 45 seconds.

It’s no secret that the Trump administration and current California leadership seem to be at odds [on immigration]. How far should California push back against the Trump administration on immigration and at what cost? What do you see as the risk to such an adversarial relationship and do you think the president would go so far as to withhold tax dollars or resources from California if that is the stance that we choose to take.

Allen: “So I’m actually the only candidate in the race for governor that voted for and supported and even wrote op-eds in favor of our Republican nominee for president Donald J. Trump. Trump has the exact right idea, which is enforce the rule of law in the U.S. and the Constitution of the United States. It’s very clear that immigration is the sole province of the federal government. As your next governor of the state of California, I will ensure that federal immigration law is enforced. Last year in the Legislature I introduced legislation to de-fund every sanctuary jurisdiction in California. This year I will introduce legislation to reverse the illegal sanctuary state. And as your next governor, in the first 100 days, I will ensure that the sanctuary state is reversed. By the way, go online to jointravisallen.com and sign the petition to have your city opt out of the illegal sanctuary state as Los Alamitos — in my district — just did. It’s illegal, it endangers Californians and we won’t have it in California.”

Cox: “Border security shouldn’t be controversial, nor should it be controversial for law enforcement authorities to work together. But I’ve got to tell you this is classic politician speak because what they’re doing is distracting you. They’re creating all this war with Washington, D.C., so that you don’t notice the horrendous cost of living in this state, the lack of opportunity in this state, the trillion dollar unfunded pension debt they’ve created. They’ve created conditions in this state that are making it impossible for the working class and the middle class to live. And then they throw these sanctuary state things at us, they appoint undocumented immigrants to state posts just to stick a finger in the eye of people and to distract us from the messes the politicians are creating. Let’s get solutions to problems. That’s what I’m about.”

Eastin: “For many years I taught political science and I watched with great interest as Republicans all over the South waved the Tenth Amendment of the Constitution in our face as an excuse to discriminate against people of color. They said a law that is not given to the federal government nor denied to the states should be the property of the states and the people. It is so ironic that a thug like (Attorney General) Jeff Sessions, who defended such horrible color discrimination in his area, should be allowed to stand up and say we ought to follow the Constitution. Immigrants are the most entrepreneurial, risk-taking and also are who is in this audience today. Don’t look now, you’re all descended from immigrants. So, in fact, I support our sanctuary state status and I support the sanctuary cities and I stand with our immigrants as law-abiding neighbors and friends.”

Matt Hall, Union-Tribune Editorial and Opinion Director: “So what would the risk be to that adversarial relationship and are you worried about the withholding of tax dollars?

Eastin: “I think that for the same reason that Jeff Sessions and the other segregationists went to court against the federal government when they thought their rights were being infringed on, we should be prepared to do that in this state. And I think that both of the major candidates for attorney general are with me on this, that we will stand up for the people of California and for our federal money. You should also know that, in fact, we are a donor to the federal government. We only get 80 cents back on every dollar we send, so for him to threaten us with taking money away, it just is embarrassing. It’s not America. It’s not the America I know and love and it’s something we’ve been working to change for a long time. States’ right have a place in the Constitution and we should use them to protect our neighbors.

Villaraigosa: “I think it’s pretty clear that we have a broken immigration system. Both the right and the left agree on that and so they need to come together. The feds need to fix this broken immigration system. But until they do, we have 11 million people in this state who are working — the vast majority of them — they’re going to school, they’re opening up businesses, they’re buying homes, they’re participating and contributing to our economy. California is the epicenter of that group of people. [The] California Values Act didn’t start in Sacramento, it actually started in L.A. and it started in 1979 with a very conservative police chief. His name was Daryl Gates. He did it not because he was pro-immigration or against it. He did it because it was pro-public safety. He believed that you need to engender trust in your community among immigrants to make that they’re cooperating with the police department.

Hall: “Are you worried about the risk?”

Villaraigosa: “Sure. We’re all worried that they’re going to move ahead to take away our money but I agree with Delaine. There’s a thing called the Tenth Amendment and we’re going to use it. And we’re going to go into the courts and stand up for the proposition that this is our tax dollars. By the way, we’re a donor state. We give more than we get back from the federal government. They ought to be giving us more, not less, and legislators and congressional members on both sides of the aisle ought to be fighting for that. Yes we’re worried, but we’re going to court.”

Newsom and state Treasurer John Chiang did not attend the debate, which was sponsored by the California Council for the Social Studies. Newsom declined an invitation two months ago. Chiang accepted but withdrew 10 days before the event, citing an unspecified scheduling conflict.

We sought out statements from Newsom and Chiang on immigration. Here’s what we found.

Chiang has this posted on his website:

“California has long paved the way for the national battle for immigrant rights. This state was built on the backs of immigrants, and it’s why I refuse to turn my back on them. I supported our state’s sanctuary bill, and will fight to defend it as governor.

I support our immigrant communities and am firmly against Attorney General Sessions’ politically motivated lawsuit. California refuses to be a cog in Donald Trump’s deportation machine, and we will not tolerate these attacks on our communities. This isn’t just a stand against the administration, this is a statement of values. I value California’s immigrant communities and continue to proudly stand with them.”

Newsom has this posted on his website:

California is home to more immigrants than any other state, and half of all California children have at least one immigrant parent. Immigrants are an integral part of California's economy, culture, and workforce. Gavin believes we have an economic and moral imperative to protect our state's immigrants and help them thrive, particularly our students, who are the future of our state's workforce and economic growth. That's why he has defended California's status as a sanctuary state, called for the state's public colleges and universities to be sanctuary campuses, and added his voice calling on Congress to pass to clean DREAM Act. Communities across California are coming to alert immigrants of ICE activity and ensure that their neighbors' civil rights are protected. As governor, Gavin will support these efforts and ensure the government is doing its part with funding for immigrant legal defense. Our commitment must also include building protections for immigrants in the workplace.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...htmlstory.html
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Newsom probably doesn't feel he needed to attend as he feels he's got it in the bag.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn