Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Inhofe, Coburn and Boren refuse to give immigrants 'amnesty'

Inhofe, Coburn and Boren refuse to give immigrants 'amnesty'

by: JIM MYERS World Washington Bureau
    5/19/2007 3:24 AM

WASHINGTON -- A bipartisan agreement to revamp the nation's embattled immigration system and give President Bush a significant domestic victory appeared Friday to be a non-starter for members of Oklahoma's congressional delegation.

Those who commented on the sweeping proposal see it as amnesty for illegal immigrants already in the country, despite assurances from Bush and others it is not.

"If you have somewhere between 12 million and 20 million illegals in this country, and you are going to set up some kind of bill, that is going to require identifying who they are," said U.S. Sen. Jim Inhofe, R-Okla.

Then, Inhofe continued, the new program would send these people back to their home countries before applying for re-entry.

"I just cannot see that you could get that many people to leave the country and then come back legally," he said.

"So, it is going to be a level of amnesty, and it is still going to be rewarding people who have come here illegally, and I won't do that."

Inhofe said he could think of no legislative provision dealing with those already in the country that would get him past the amnesty issue and not be repeating earlier efforts.

"I am sorry to be so negative on this thing, but I have always felt that way," he said.

Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., declined to comment until he had time to review the bill's language.

A Coburn aide said the senator will oppose any bill that gives amnesty to illegal immigrants.

Even though the agreement clearly is a bipartisan effort and is being touted by Bush, Rep. John Sullivan, R-Okla., chose to criticize it as a Democratic effort.

Sullivan also declined to respond to a question about the decision last year by House Republicans, which he supported, to not participate in a conference committee to hammer out a final version of an immigration bill.

Instead, they held field hearings on the issue.

That decision not only kept House Republicans away from final negotiations when they were in control but may turn them into spectators as Bush and others work out the details on this year's version.

Sullivan also views the bipartisan agreement as amnesty.

"This proposal would change the face of America as we know it today by placing many of those who are in the United States illegally on a pathway to citizenship," he said.

"It is irresponsible for Congress to even consider amnesty or guest worker legislation until our current immigration laws are enforced and our borders secure. Granting amnesty to illegal aliens would be an utter failure, just like it was in 1986."

Rep. Dan Boren, D-Okla., also expressed concerns about the bipartisan agreement.

"Amnesty sends the wrong signal," Boren said.

"Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. We can't just give people a pass because it's the easy thing to do."

Senate debate on the proposal is expected to begin next week.

Bush rejects claims that the proposal includes amnesty for illegal immigrants.

"This is a bill where people who live here in our country will be treated without amnesty, but without animosity," Bush said.

A briefing sheet put out by the White House was even more blunt, stating "No Amnesty For Illegal Immigrants."

The White House made it clear again on Friday that Bush will be very involved in pushing for passage of the package put together by a bipartisan group of senators and officials from his administration.

"Convictions run deep on the matter of immigration," Bush said Thursday.

"But with this bipartisan agreement, I am confident leaders in Washington can have a serious, civil and conclusive debate so I can sign comprehensive reform into law this year."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article. ... spanc23131
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Thanx for posting this, I knew Inhofe would be against this but haven't received a reply from him yet for the email i sent when this "agreement" was announced.

Also I absolutely love this quote by Rep Boren, too long for a sig unfortunately... "Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. We can't just give people a pass because it's the easy thing to do."
    Immigration reform should reflect a commitment to enforcement, not reward those who blatantly break the rules. - Rep Dan Boren D-Ok

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

April
    "Convictions run deep on the matter of immigration," Bush said Thursday.

"But with this bipartisan agreement, I am confident leaders in Washington can have a serious, civil and conclusive debate so I can sign comprehensive reform into law this year."
    You can take your pen and stick it where the sun don't shine, Mr President!

Well at least a few still have some kind of sense up on the

Inhore, Coburn and Boren are right; President Bush is pushing a bill that his own party members are walking away from. That's not good; cause whats left is mostly Democrats and their getting most of what they want in this bill. The remaining souls of Republicans are being over run by people like Lindsey; and McCain. The outcome will favor the Democratic Party and will betray American Citizens and those legally applying. Instead of Making sure they secure the Boarder first, add patrols and send a clear message that from this date on if your caught hear illegally you can never apply for American Citizenship, {unless for some far fetched reason, only by presidential grant}; this is all meaningless.
    I don't see any mention of anchor kids, that has to be dealt with strictly and put forth as being born from parents of legal status can a child be an American.
    Otherwise we will see this problem in another ten years. I hate to say it but if this garbage passes as it is and seems it will; Republicans better get these main points taken care of and not back off. Jump in it for this writing or we will end up with a complete worthless bill as it stands. Also five thousand dollars to pay for years of being here; they paid that or more to coyotes. I want all back taxes paid and school taxes never mind now we will be picking up their welfare and social security if we are not already but will be adding now.
    Republican should remember we have a social security problem and the Democrats refused to fix that and now your bending over For the Democrats to fix illegal immigration. Only thing is they will get all the credit don't expect those illegals to vote Republican and don't expect the law abiding none delusional immigrants who applied and came here legally to think this is fair by any means.
    Speaking of social security which probably won't be there after you have gauged us our entire life just about, your going to burden it more with illegal immigrants so we end up with nothing as we already expect. Or will you raise the age so we work to 70 next before we can collect full benefits. Talk about being short changed ripped off etc.
    Welfare is bursting at the seams and growing; now lets add more illegal immigrants to totally destroy what every tax payer has paid into. Why should we respect the laws; tell me; if illegals don't have too.

Don't underestimate the influence of Coburn. He's powerful in that he is actually in DC to serve. If it's a bad deal, he'll speak his mind. He's one of the very few good ones!
    Check your credit report regularly, an illegal may be using your Social Security number.

Interestingly enough, COBURN'S office was NOT happy on Friday that at 4:45 Eastern, they still had NOT received the complete bill!

His office made that perfectly clear to OLIVER when he called them for 'cloture' information.

GO GET EM, COBURN
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

They still have not received the draft of the bill? But La Raza gets an immediate copy!! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by CCUSA
    They still have not received the draft of the bill? But La Raza gets an immediate copy!! THIS IS OUTRAGEOUS!
    TREASONOUS!!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)