Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Inmates to fill the void in farm fields

Inmates to fill the void in farm fields
    Pilot program to help farmers replace workers driven off by state's new immigration laws.
    By CHARLES ASHBY
    CHIEFTAIN DENVER BUREAU

DENVER - It may not be too long before Pueblo County residents start seeing inmates from state prisons working area farms.

Rep. Dorothy Butcher, D-Pueblo, has managed to work out, at least in principle, a new program that would call on the Colorado Department of Corrections to supply inmates to work area farms.

The new work program would operate under the department's successful Correctional Industries Program, which helps inmates obtain work while in prison and learn a skill at the same time, DOC Executive Director Ari Zavaras said Monday.

"We have a lot of details to work out, but this probably will start as a pilot program in Pueblo County," he said. "Depending on how well it works, we'll see where it will go."

Zavaras, the newly installed DOC director, said the program fits in with his and Gov. Bill Ritter's new emphasis on reducing recidivism in state prisons. Their thinking is that by reducing recidivism, the state can save money on having to build new prisons, which under current growth estimates will cost the state hundreds of millions of dollars over the next five years.

Butcher started the idea with a handful of area farmers who were complaining that new state laws cracking down on illegal immigration and the stringent document rules adopted by the Department of Revenue under Gov. Bill Owens, have left them short-handed in the field.

Immigrant workers, legal or otherwise, are too afraid to come to Colorado because of the state's tougher immigrant laws, Avondale farmers Joe Pisciotta and Phil Prutch told Zavaras and House Speaker Andrew Romanoff in a special meeting that Butcher had arranged.

The two men said that because of the new law that the Legislature passed during a special session on illegal immigration - and the new documents rules that have frustrated several Colorado citizens who were trying to get driver's licenses and state identification cards - they and other farmers are having problems finding the workers they need.

"We're aware there was a problem (with illegal immigrants), but you just created another problem," Prutch said.

"They've just given up and gone to other states that don't have these new laws," Pisciotta said. "They just don't want to deal with it."

Like others around the state, the two Pueblo vegetable farmers said they need from five to 20 workers and are willing to pay up to $9.60 an hour, more than they've paid migrant workers in the past.

But they can't find anyone to do the work.

That's why they turned to Butcher, who in turn went to Zavaras.

"The agricultural business will suffer and some could even go out of business if we're unable to provide labor for them," Butcher said. "They're not asking for something for free. They're willing to pay more than the minimum wage."

Zavaras said it will take some time to work out the details to the new pilot project, but he is hopeful something will be done before the farmers need them in May and June, when the local growing season begins.

Romanoff said many of the stringent documents rules are expected to be eased, but there's no guarantee on when or if that will happen.

"It's something we tried to talk to the old administration about and didn't get very far," Romanoff said. "Now we're talking to the new administration."

http://www.chieftain.com/metro/1172563317/1

there is enough prison labor even that of criminal illegal immigrants in prison to do all the farmwork that is needed in this country, and if that is not enough, well then, this is good work for the welfare to work programs intended to get people off the welfare system. Prisoners should not be sitting in their cells doing their nails, and watching episodes of cops reruns, they should be really punished for their misdeeds by paying back the debt for their incarceration, by doing something worth wile like "working"!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    there is enough prison labor even that of criminal illegal immigrants in prison to do all the farmwork that is needed in this country, and if that is not enough, well then, this is good work for the welfare to work programs intended to get people off the welfare system. Prisoners should not be sitting in their cells doing their nails, and watching episodes of cops reruns, they should be really punished for their misdeeds by paying back the debt for their incarceration, by doing something worth wile like "working"!
    Well said Nitty.

WELL IT'S ABOUT DARN TIME, THEN THEIR WAGES CAN GO TO THE COST OF THEIR CONFINEMENT'

I AGREE NITTY WELFARE NEXT!!!
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

It used to be I'd see prisoners picking up trash and cutting back highway right of ways. They had to work long ago. I believe prisoners can work now if they want to but it's not mandatory anymore. It should be.

SOSADFORUS, I like the idea of them paying for confinement, too.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf
    It used to be I'd see prisoners picking up trash and cutting back highway right of ways. They had to work long ago. I believe prisoners can work now if they want to but it's not mandatory anymore. It should be.

Yeah, why do they have a choice? ACLU???? They should not have any choices.

Quote Originally Posted by Neese
    Quote Originally Posted by had_enuf

Yeah, why do they have a choice? ACLU???? They should not have any choices.
    i agree, they made their choice when they broke the law.

The illegal alien prisoners should be building the wall on the southern border.
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    YES THATS ANOTHER GOOD IDEA, LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE PLENTY FOR THEM TO DO TO EARN THEIR STAY, SO GET ON WITH MIGHT AS WELL START RIGHT AWAY!!SAVE SOME OF MY TAX MONEY! :
    Please support ALIPAC's fight to save American Jobs & Lives from illegal immigration by joining our free Activists E-Mail Alerts (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by SOSADFORUS
    Quote Originally Posted by anniealone
    YES THATS ANOTHER GOOD IDEA, LOOKS LIKE WE HAVE PLENTY FOR THEM TO DO TO EARN THEIR STAY, SO GET ON WITH MIGHT AS WELL START RIGHT AWAY!!SAVE SOME OF MY TAX MONEY! :
    No doubt. By our politicians are too busy catering to the wrong people!
    Deportacion? Si Se Puede!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast