IRS reveals stolen identity

http://www.thehawkeye.com/daily/stories/ln9_0430.html

IPC worker used Minnesota man's name, Social Security number.

By SHAWNA RICHTER

srichter@thehawkeye.com

In March, the Internal Revenue Service sent a letter to 24–year–old John Gardner of Minneapolis.

Apparently during 2004, while Gardner held a full–time job in Minneapolis, he also was working a full–time job at Iowa Prestressed Concrete Inc. in West Burlington, an eight–hour drive away.

"Compare your tax records with the records we received under Information Reported to the IRS," stated the letter. "Amount reported to IRS by others: $26,223. Amount included on your return: $0. Difference: $26,223.

"If this information is correct, your tax increase is $3,569 plus all applicable payment adjustments, penalties and interest. If you pay in full by March 29, 2006, you'll owe $3,308."

The John Gardner in West Burlington had paid only $460 in taxes in 2004.

"The IRS is not saying it's identity theft," the Minnesota Gardner said, but he is. "I've lived in the Twin Cities since July 2003, and I worked two or three jobs in 2004."

He worked at a car wash and detail center, at a gas station and at Kinkos.

"Those three jobs are nothing similar to a prefabricated concrete plant (where Gardner No. 2 reportedly worked)," Gardner said, so he began investigating the incident.

"I found out he worked at IPC in West Burlington since 2003, and people — the three or four I talked to within the company — knew him personally," Gardner said. "They were surprised he'd be using a fake identity."

Gardner said the man using his name and Social Security number was Hispanic and could not speak English, a statement supported by the West Burlington Police Department.

Chief Alex Oblein said after the department received an Eagan, Minn., police report regarding the incident, Officer Mike Moore went to IPC to speak with John Gardner.

"The interesting thing was they needed to get an interpreter for him," he said. As Moore waited for Gardner and the interpreter, the fake Gardner left the IPC compound.

"We've been unable to locate him," Oblein said. "Whoever, he is, he's obviously not John Gardner."

The real Gardner thinks the fake one is an illegal immigrant.

IPC human resource representatives in West Burlington and its corporate office in Iowa Falls declined to confirm whether anyone named Gardner worked for the company.

"Legally, we can't give out information about employees," said human resource manager Jackie Winters. Since the real Gardner had his own name and Social Security number, he was able to get the fake Gardner's employee information.

According to Winters, each IPC plant completes its own identification paperwork, then sends it to the Iowa Falls office, where she fills out the state and federal regulation forms.

"We have steps for hiring, and we follow each of those steps," Winters said.

Gardner and the West Burlington Police said IPC has had a previous identity theft report filed against it.

"I don't remember how it ended up, but it was basically the same thing," Oblein said. "The person was from out of state, their Social Security number had been used and the income had not been reported."

Winters was unfamiliar with any cases of identity theft at the company. The West Burlington plant has been a part of IPC since early 2004.

Colin Wagenbach, president of Raider Precast through November 2003, before IPC bought the company, said he doesn't recall an identity theft case during his tenure.

Gardner, meanwhile, has cleared his record with the IRS.

"I had to send a copy of the police report from Eagan, a copy of my drivers license and birth certificate to the IRS," Gardner said. "Now, as far as the IRS is concerned, I don't owe anything."

But that didn't end his hassles. Gardner had to call credit bureaus — the Federal Trade Commission, Equifax, Experian and TransUnion — independently to get his Social Security number locked. The bureaus now must call Gardner when someone, including the real Gardner, applies for credit in his name.

Gardner also tried to get a new Social Security number, but the Minneapolis bureau would not issue him one.

According to the local Social Security office, changing the number wouldn't help. All information linked with the old number is referred or transferred to the new one, thereby changing nothing about the identity theft.

With each of those steps completed, Gardner still didn't stop making phone calls. He reported IPC for Social Security fraud to the Immigration and Naturalization Service, to the Iowa attorney general, to the Department of Homeland Security Bureau of Immigration and Customs Enforcement and to the Social Security Administration.

"Now, with any documents with my (Social Security) number on it, I read it and burn it," Gardner said. "I'm not even taking a chance with a shredder. I'm burning it."

According to Oblein, identity theft is a problem all over the country, not just in West Burlington.

There are ways to prevent it from happening.

According to the Social Security Administration, identity thieves steal people's personal information by stealing wallets, purses and disposed mail; by sorting through trash; and by buying information from "inside sources." They also gain access through unsecured Internet Web sites, business or personal records and by posing as someone who legitimately needs the information, such as an employer or landlord.

The IRS recommends protecting Social Security numbers in the following ways:

• Don't carry your Social Security number. Leave it in a secure place.

• Only give your Social Security number when absolutely necessary.

• Your employer and financial institution may need your Social Security number for wage and tax reporting purposes. Don't give a business your Social Security number just because they ask for it. Find out why before giving it out.

• Ask why your Social Security number is needed and if other types of identifiers can be used. For example, if your state uses your Social Security number as your drivers license number, ask to substitute another.

The IRS also said to be careful choosing a tax preparer and to ensure that your employer is protecting your Social Security number.

A stolen card should be reported through a complaint filed with the FTC. Any one of the three major credit card bureaus also should be contacted. Accounts that may have been tampered with or opened fraudulently should be closed.

A police report should be filed in the community where the theft took place, and a copy should be given to creditors and others that may require proof of the crime.

If you believe your identity has been used inappropriately for tax purposes, call the IRS at (800) 829–1040.

For more information on identity theft, visit www.irs.gov.