Link

Just call it what it is... Illegal immigration
by Tim Nikolai Columnist
April 13, 2005

"Bank robber let go; gets to keep the loot." "Jewel thief passes diamonds onto children in will." "Maine urges citizens to ignore law-provides guide on poaching in Canada." "Too few janitors-students must clean own school." Such headlines would bring shock and outrage anywhere they were read. Yet, a version of each would indeed be realistic if the subject was merely changed to "not-quite-legal-but we'll-look-the-other-way" immigration. (I didn't say illegal immigration because that term is no longer 'politically correct' in either political party-using it is enough to label oneself as 'heartless' and/or 'racist.')

Indeed, as hard as it might be to believe, 'illegal' no longer seems to be in the vocabulary when addressing immigration. President Bush wants to grant amnesty to illegals and allow them to continue to live here. The children of said immigrants would then be allowed to reap the benefits of such illegal activity. The Mexican state of Yucatan (among others) has actually published illustrated guides on how to make illegal border crossings! And now in Arizona, some 1,200 volunteers, in what is known as the Minuteman Project, are monitoring the border for illegal immigrants and their unscrupulous 'handlers' because Congress and the Administration have failed to adequately man the border as urged by so many in the wake of Sept. 11.

Make no mistake about it; immigrants have made invaluable contributions to American society throughout our history. Somewhere in our past (except for a few Native Americans) we are all immigrants. Immigrants helped found this nation and build the West; currently many of them serve proudly in our military, willing to sacrifice everything for this country. Today legal immigrants-whether high tech workers from India or agricultural workers from Mexico-form a valuable cog in a powerful economy. Clearly a total stop to immigration is out of the question. Still I wonder, as I pass by homeless men everyday here in DC, why they shouldn't be allowed to 'bend' the law simply because life has been unkind to them, just as struggling workers in other countries apparently are every time they cross the border?

After 9/11, numerous commentators remarked that life would never again be the same. That sentiment has disappeared in many areas but it must become true in how America protects its borders. There are an estimated 10 million illegals living in the US, a fact that is surely not lost on Al Qaeda-no more worrying about those pesky visas. I'm a loyal conservative who believes this President has done much to make us safer in our war on terrorism, but undermanned borders and broad amnesty programs will never increase security. In fact, I firmly believe that this has the potential to be the biggest failure of the Bush presidency (although I doubt John Kerry would have been any better).

The words on the Statue of Liberty proclaim, "Give me your tired, your poor/ Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free/The wretched refuse of your teeming shore." Before Ellis Island, and continuing today, the Statue and her ideals are a powerful draw to people seeking a better life in America. Americans should not take those ideals lightly, for they welcomed our families here as well. However, times have changed. The great opportunity that America still presents can no longer be an excuse for other countries' failure to help their own citizens. America cannot endanger 290 million citizens for the sake of a relative few.

In metaphorical terms America needs to put up a "wall," of both men and technology, on its borders-monitoring all traffic across them and intervening (with force when necessary) to stop simple immigrants as well as drug traffickers and terrorists. Equally important, however, is that the wall not be without gates. Whether they flee political and religious persecution or abject poverty, hardworking human beings who seek a better life for themselves and their family should have (more) opportunities to come here and to proudly call this country, "home." A wall with gates: such a concept will allow the words found on Lady Liberty, that America, "Glows (with) worldwide welcome" to be as true as ever, while ensuring the safety of that same America in a way that is now truly and forever necessary.