Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar

L.A. City Council Votes: Ban travel and future AZ contracts

L.A. City Council votes to ban travel and future contracts with Arizona because of tough new immigration law

May 12, 2010 | 12:23 pm

The Los Angeles City Council, protesting Arizona’s crackdown on illegal immigration, on Wednesday voted to ban most city travel to Arizona and future contracts with companies in that state.

During a morning-long debate on the resolution, council members compared Arizona’s action to Nazi Germany and the beginning of the Holocaust, as well as the internment and deportation of Japanese Americans during World War II. A new Arizona law, which will take effect July 23, requires police to check the immigration papers of people they suspect lack legal status, which critics say will lead to racial profiling.

“Los Angeles the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard,’’ said Councilman Ed Reyes, one of the resolution’s sponsors. “As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who’s having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be … deported, no questions asked. That is not American.’’

The action was approved 13-1, with Councilman Greig Smith casting the sole dissenting vote.

The council’s action fell short of a total boycott or canceling all of the city’s $58 million worth of contracts with Arizona companies. Officials with the Port of Los Angeles and Los Angeles International Airport expressed concern about potential effects on those agencies. The council asked boards overseeing the port, airport and city utilities to review all contracts with ties to Arizona, however.

LAX receives $22 million in revenue from two Arizona-based airlines -- US Airways and Mesa Air. The port relies on three Arizona firms for new, low-emission big rigs, part of the city’s “clean truck’’ program that is expected to reduce truck-related pollution at the port by 80% by 2012.

-- Phil Willon

Photo: Cardinal Roger Mahony leads May Day march in downtown L.A., in which the Arizona law was criticized.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2 ... grati.html

This from a city with a projected $492 million budget deficit for the next fiscal year. No wonder why they're near bankruptcy.

http://www.mercurynews.com/breaking-news/ci_15060842
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

“Los Angeles the second-largest city in this country, an immigrant city, an international city. It needs to have its voice heard,’’ said Councilman Ed Reyes, one of the resolution’s sponsors. “As an American, I cannot go to Arizona today without a passport. If I come across an officer who’s having a bad day and feels that the picture on my ID is not me, I can be … deported, no questions asked. That is not American.’’

Ed Reyes whole district are illegals.

On any day you can see taco push carts, illegals selling pirated movies the have not left the theaters.

And MacArthur park is run by the MS-13.

I know General MacArthur is rolling in his grave.
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

http://www.lacity.org/YourGovernment/Ci ... /index.htm

Los Angeles City Hall Information (213) 473-3231

District 1 - Ed Reyes
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7001
    councilmember.reyes@lacity.org

District 2 - Paul Krekorian
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7002
    councilmember.Krekorian@lacity.org

District 3 - Dennis P. Zine
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7003
    councilmember.zine@lacity.org

District 4 - Tom LaBonge
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7004
    councilmember.Labonge@lacity.org

District 5 - Paul Koretz
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7005
    paul.koretz@lacity.org

District 6 - Tony Cardenas
    City Hall Office (213) -473-7006
    councilmember.cardenas@lacity.org

District 7 - Richard Alarcon
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7007
    councilmember.alarcon@lacity.org

District 8 - Bernard Parks
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7008
    councilmember.parks@lacity.org

District 9 - Jan Perry
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7009
    Jan.Perry@lacity.org

District 10 - Herb J. Wesson, Jr.
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7010
    councilmember.wesson@lacity.org

District 11 - Bill Rosendahl
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7011
    councilman.rosendahl@lacity.org

District 12 - Greig Smith
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7012
    councilmember.smith@lacity.org

District 13 - Eric Garcetti
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7013
    councilmember.garcetti@lacity.org

District 14 - Jose Huizar
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7014
    councilmember.huizar@lacity.org

District 15 - Janice Hahn
    City Hall Office (213)-473-7015
    councilmember.hahn@lacity.org

AZ should give their illegals a one-way bus ticket to LA.
    "A Nation of sheep will beget a government of Wolves" -Edward R. Murrow

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Liberal L.A. City Council Votes 13-1 to ‘Boycott’ Ariz.—But Will Still Buy Nuclear Power from Arizona

LA Approves Arizona Boycott Over Immigration Law

Wednesday, May 12, 2010
    By Christina Hoag, Associated Press

Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa supports a boycott of Arizona which his city's council approved 13-1. (Official state of California photo)

Los Angeles - Los Angeles on Wednesday became the largest city yet to boycott Arizona over its tough new law targeting illegal immigration in a move that likely will affect some $8 million in contracts with the state.

The City Council voted 13-1 to bar Los Angeles from conducting business with Arizona unless the law is repealed. The vote followed an emotional council discussion during which many members noted that their ancestors were U.S. immigrants.

Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa already has said he would approve the boycott.

The proposal could affect investments and contracts worth as much as $52 million, including contracts for airport, harbor and trucking services, according to a report from the city's chief legislative analyst. That report recommends the council consider suspending travel, cutting contracts and refraining from making any new ones with Arizona-based companies.

But Councilwoman Janice Hahn, who co-authored the resolution, said it would be impractical to cancel most of those deals and only about $7 million to $8 million in city contracts probably would be affected.

"US Airways is based in Arizona and they certainly fly in and out (of Los Angeles)" and it would hardly be feasible to end those flights, Hahn said before the council vote.

Hahn said the Los Angeles boycott also won't affect the city's Department of Water and Power, which has wind farm and nuclear energy contracts in Arizona. Among the contracts with Arizona companies that conceivably could be terminated include those for helicopter services, Taser guns, waste management, engineering and surveillance equipment.

Hahn said "the best scenario" would be to turn around and give those contracts to California suppliers.

The resolution claims that Arizona's new law encourages racial profiling and is unconstitutional. The law, set to take effect July 29, requires police enforcing another law to question a person about his or her immigration status if there is "reasonable suspicion" that the person is in the United States illegally and makes it a state crime to be in the country illegally. Several lawsuits seeking to block its implementation are pending in U.S. District Court in Phoenix.

Some polls have shown strong popular support for the Arizona law and critics are concerned that other states may follow up with their own versions.

Several cities across the country have passed resolutions or urged boycotts to protest the law, including California cities such as Oakland and San Diego. A nonbinding resolution approved Tuesday by San Francisco city supervisors urges a boycott of Arizona-based businesses and asks sports leagues not to hold championship games or tournaments there.

Arizona Gov. Jan Brewer said the boycotts are unfortunate and misguided, primarily because the law mirrors a federal requirement that legal immigrants carry immigration papers.

"It's already the law in the United States, and I have a responsibility to stand up and protect the people of Arizona and we will do that," Brewer said Tuesday.

Charges that the law will lead to racial profiling are "just pure rhetoric," Brewer said.

"I find it really interesting that we have people out there that are attempting a boycott in favor of illegal actions in Arizona. That to me is just unbelievable."

Of the resolution in Los Angeles, Hahn said: "We want to stand back and say that we're against it. We're hoping that Arizona will be the last state to do this instead of just the first state to do it."

The city staged a similar economic boycott against South Africa during apartheid and against Colorado after voters in 1992 passed a state law repealing local ordinances that banned discrimination against homosexuals.
    ___
    AP reporter Paul Davenport in Phoenix contributed.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/65782

California just cut its own throat. All American's should boycott California.

Senior Member ShockedinCalifornia's Avatar
    Shame on Los Angeles! Shame on the politicians who call Arizonans Nazis! Shame on the L.A. City Council members who insult American veterans of World War II.

I CALL UPON EVERYONE TO BOYCOTT LOS ANGELES!

STOP GOING TO HOLLYWOOD MOVIES!
    STOP RENTING HOLLYWOOD DVDS FROM NETFLIX.
    STOP BUYING CALIFORNIA MUSIC CDs!
    STOP BUYING LOS ANGELES CLOTHING!
    STOP BUYING CALIFORNIA PRODUCE!
    STOP VACATIONING IN CALIFORNIA!
    STOP BOOKING CONFERENCES AND CONVENTIONS IN LOS ANGELES AND SAN FRANCISCO!
    STOP BUYING WINE FROM CALIFORNIA VINEYARDS!
    STOP BUYING CUT FLOWERS SHIPPED FROM CALIFORNIA!

What else people?

Quote Originally Posted by CindyB
    California just cut its own throat. All American's should boycott California.
    I live in California and just spent most of the morning planting a big 300 sq.ft. garden in the commies honor.

And I have always mowed my own lawn
    You cannot dedicate yourself to America unless you become in every
    respect and with every purpose of your will thoroughly Americans. You
    cannot become thoroughly Americans if you think of yourselves in groups. President Woodrow Wilson

AZ should give their illegals a one-way bus ticket to LA.
    I would bet a lot are buying their own.
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast