Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

L.A. students walk out in Cesar Chavez protest

L.A. students walk out in Cesar Chavez protest
    Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:53pm ET143

By Dan Whitcomb

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Hundreds of students, some waving Mexican flags or chanting in Spanish, walked out of Los Angeles-area schools on Friday to demand national and state holidays honoring migrant labor activist Cesar Chavez.

Some 500 students, mostly from heavily Latino neighborhoods of east Los Angeles, walked out of their classes in a demonstration organized by the immigrant-rights group By Any Means Necessary, school officials said.

About 150 students also walked out of schools in San Diego.

Last year, tens of thousands of students from across Southern California staged a similar protest, pouring onto a busy freeway and eventually converging on City Hall.

That demonstration came just weeks after massive marches in Los Angeles and other U.S. cities to demand amnesty for illegal immigrants as Congress debated an immigration-reform bill that ultimately failed.

Eight U.S. states, including California, and many counties and cities honor Chavez with holidays. The protesting students, however, want a U.S. national holiday and additional states to recognize him.

In California, Cesar Chavez day is March 31, his birthday. State government offices and colleges are observing the holiday this year by closing March 30, but public schools are open.

A spokeswoman for the Los Angeles Unified School District said officials were aware of the planned protest and had asked students to stay in class.

"We did know about it and schools in the district did take some preparations," schools spokeswoman Angie Levine said. Those preparations included giving out teaching material about Chavez, a labor organizer and civil rights activist on behalf of migrant farm workers, and urging students to stay in class.

"The school police will not cite students for truancy but will cite them for vandalism or failure to disperse," Levine said, adding that students who walked out of class or did not show up "will receive an unexcused absence" for the day.

There were no reports of injuries or arrests.

The group By Any Means Necessary used its Web-site (www.bamn.com) to urge students to walk out, saying that the Chavez holiday had been "treated as inferior" by government and schools.

"Whether they want to close down the schools to honor the Chavez holiday or not, we are closing them and forcing everyone to recognize our Movement and honor the Chavez holiday!" the Web-site said.

http://today.reuters.com/news/articlene ... rss&rpc=22

just saw part of it on cnn
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Gosh, I've gotta turn on CNN.

I haven't seen a Mexican flag all day.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Yes, let us honor Chavez.......Let's honor that he was an American citizen who only unionized American citizens.....Let's honor that he informed the INS of ilegal immigrant scabs......Let's honor that he started his own version of the Minutemen in his day......These illegals SERIOUSLY need to get a clue. Chavez was great......He was a great AMERICAN who would be outraged at what is going on right now, especially in his name.
    Serve Bush with his letter of resignation.

See you at the signing!!

On a talk radio station they had sound bites and one chant was 'We're not going to take it anymore.' Huh?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

had_enuf wrote:
    Gosh, I've gotta turn on CNN.

I haven't seen a Mexican flag all day.
    Cute,,,,,,real cute
    ------------------------

I`ve been hearing about this all day.
    This was not about Chavez. They used the students and his name to stage an Immigration protest.
    I was very happy to hear when this woman stood on the steps of L.A. City Hall
    and started claiming(in so many words) that they(the illegals) were going to take over.
    After that, everyone was saying "if that`s not a claim to over run the US Government I don`t know what is".
    Anyone that heard her knows what I mean.

They`re just feeding the fire and setting of more alarms.
    ------------------------