Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

La Raza moves to mobilize Hispanic voters

La Raza moves to mobilize Hispanic voters
    BY CASEY WOODS
    cwoods@MiamiHerald.com

The leader of the country's largest Latino civil rights organization launched a new campaign to mobilize Hispanic voters in the 2008 presidential elections Tuesday at an event in Miami.

''It's now time for the community to engage deeper in civic engagement . . . to show our political muscle in the next elections,'' National Council of La Raza President Janet Murguia said at a news conference at the Freedom Tower in downtown Miami.

NCLR'S new campaign is the second part of an effort to naturalize, register and mobilize millions of immigrant voters -- most of them Hispanic -- for next year's presidential elections.

Murguia was in Miami to prepare for NCLR's upcoming convention, which will run July 21-24 at the Miami Beach Convention Center. More than 23,000 activists, elected officials and business leaders are expected to attend.

Speakers include Gov. Charlie Crist, Wal-Mart President Lee Scott, the Rev. Al Sharpton and Democratic presidential candidates Sen. Hillary Clinton and Sen. Barack Obama.

The Republican presidential contenders are expected to be no-shows at the second major gathering of Hispanic leaders in Florida this year.

None of the Republican candidates -- but all of the leading Democrats -- addressed the National Association of Latino and Elected Officials in Orlando last month.

''We haven't given up, but we're very disappointed that the Republican candidates are not inclined to come,'' said Lisa Navarette, La Raza's vice president. ``We don't think that's the smart move.''

Miami Herald political writer Beth Reinhard contributed to this report.

http://www.miamiherald.com/515/story/166083.html

Sorry.....I don't see what LaRaza has to offer the rest of us people here?

If you aren't Latino....you don't count and they think that is strong stance to take in AMERICA?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

''We haven't given up, but we're very disappointed that the Republican candidates are not inclined to come,'' said Lisa Navarette, La Raza's vice president. ``We don't think that's the smart move.''
    Perhaps the Republican candidates have realized that La Raza is a political liability since the defeat of the amnesty by grassroots America.

Maybe they are seeing through La Raza's B.S. about how much of the vote they "control". A million phantom letters, 200 to 1 phone calls AGAINST the amnesty, hmmm....where is all this political muscle they keep crowing about?

And the smart move would be...? To continue to pander to a group that will most certainly vote Democratic anyway? Why waste the travel money to attend La Raza events when these candidates can use thier resources more effectively tyo appeal to their own base - the same base that just handed La Raza a defeat in the amnesty - a base that doesn't crow constantly but delivers big?

Maybe La Raza should learn not to let their showboat mouthes overload thier rowboat behinds...
    http://www.soldiersangels.com Adopt a Soldier

"This is our culture - fight for it. This is our flag - pick it up. This is our country - take it back." - Congressman Tom Tancredo

wow, I just called La Raza and told the lady on the phone that Americans are sick and tired of them influencing our politicans. I also let her know that Americans were going to SHUT THEM DOWN!

boy that felt good.
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

“If you ain’t mad, you ain’t paying attention.â€

Quote Originally Posted by Ronster
    wow, I just called La Raza and told the lady on the phone that Americans are sick and tired of them influencing our politicans. I also let her know that Americans were going to SHUT THEM DOWN!

boy that felt good.
    What did she say?

Not much, I did not really give her a chance. I just said my peace and hung up.
    "If you always do what You've always done, You'll always get what you always got!"

''It's now time for the community to engage deeper in civic engagement . . . to show our political muscle in the next elections,''
    Folks, we need to be promoting our own voting drive. Start to do it now while we are a long way out from the next election. We also need to push for stronger laws requiring documentation of citizenship for anyone registering to vote; strong penalties for voting violations and i.d. at the polls for everyone voting. Let's not let our elections be hijacked.

DJ

Voting Fraud

We also need to push for stronger laws requiring documentation of citizenship for anyone registering to vote; strong penalties for voting violations and i.d. at the polls for everyone voting. Let's not let our elections be hijacked.
    This is my worst fear: that illegal aliens will be able to vote and that there is no sure way to determine who is legal. What is being done about that?

I agree, we need a national campaign to promote real Americans like Tom Tancredo for President. I do not feel comfortable with the current lot that is leading in polls.

This is my worst fear: that illegal aliens will be able to vote and that there is no sure way to determine who is legal. What is being done about that?
    It varies from state to state. The problem is the registrars can't require anything that reeks of 'racial profiling'; i.e. if they require documentation of citizenship they have to require it from everyone - even the kid next door who just graduated from high school. I think most of us would accept that inconvenience and just pony up whatever documents they need. The biggest problem is voter apathy. In my county 35% is a great turn-out. Perhaps, with the outcry over the illegal immigration issue they will do better. It has been my observation that voters will work much harder to defeat a candidate than to elect one - and we have several on the hit list for the next election.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast