Letter: Urge officials to take steps to address illegal immigration
By TCPalm Staff
Saturday, January 26, 2008

Over the past six months I have contacted various government agencies about illegal aliens. The situation at a local gasoline station has gotten worse, and nothing is done.

The owner refuses to work with the Martin County Sheriff’s Office. As you pass through this area in the morning, the Mexican freeway is very active. Groups cluster in front of the store, the gas pumps, parking area and sidewalk with bicycles all over the place. After the morning shape-up ends, there is no siesta, and when the sun sets, the residential fun begins: drunks, drugs, loud music and threats to those who complain.

The area is a junkyard, with rundown housing and multiple families under one roof. The small strip mall — three stores across from the gasoline station — now contains three Mexican businesses. They forced out the last American business.

What’s been done to date?

The sheriff’s office has attempted to clean up the area but cannot enforce immigration laws. County code enforcement has been in the area issuing violations and attempting to get the slum lords.

The federal government has done nothing. I contacted U.S. Rep. Tim Mahoney, D-Palm Beach Gardens, whose first reply he pushed on the county. The second got him to contact Homeland Security, Customs and Border Protection. He sent me a copy of the letter he received from U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement. ICE sent the information to the special agent in charge in Miami for any action deemed appropriate. They also urged his constituents to call ICE at (866) 347-2423.

I would urge all interested parties to do so. You can also call John Mac at the congressman’s Stuart office at (772) 878-3181. Please help us clean up the area.

Richard Clair
Hobe Sound