Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lewisville City Council decides not to pursue official-Engli

By MARISSA ALANIS / The Dallas Morning News
    malanis@dallasnews.com

The Lewisville City Council decided Monday night not to pursue a resolution declaring English the city's official language.

Emotions ran high during the packed meeting, during which council members also decided not to move forward on a policy specifying which official documents to translate into Spanish.

After lengthy discussion, the council voted, 4-1, not to consider the resolution establishing an official language.

Lathan Watts, who put the resolution on the meeting's agenda, was the only member to vote to consider it. The council had discussed translating documents in August but decided to postpone a decision until this month.

Residents who spoke during the meeting were sharply divided on the language proposals.

Mercedes Bustos, who opposed the resolution, warned that it would be divisive.

"When somebody has their house that is burned to the ground or lost everything in a flood, they don't need to speak the same language to understand what their needs are," said Ms. Bustos, an American Red Cross volunteer. "Humanity is our common language, not the English language."

But John Gorena was among residents who supported the resolution.

"This is not about only speaking English in Lewisville," he said. "Speak whatever language you want, but please learn English. We want to make it official so we can all communicate."

State law requires the city to translate some documents into Spanish, but the city staff also translates other types of documents and signs related to public safety and health.

The document translation cost the city about $475 during fiscal 2007-08.

"We're talking about a minuscule amount for documents that are sent out," council member Dean Ueckert said. "We're only minimizing our costs and informing our citizens, so that's in the best interest for all the citizens of Lewisville."

Most residents who spoke out during the public hearing about the issue were opposed to translating documents that weren't required by law.

"I know that we're required by law to translate certain documents specifically in Spanish," Mr. Gorena said. "But I would rather not translate any other documents unless required. ... That just empowers those people who do not know English to not learn English."

Oak Point Mayor Duane Olson, whose city adopted a resolution making English its official language, spoke at the meeting to discourage Lewisville from passing a similar ordinance.

"It did not change the way the city is run," he said "We did not save any money, and we did not become more efficient with this resolution. The only thing it did for the city of Oak Point was to pit neighbor against neighbor."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 64643.html

Looks like Lewisville will still have to waste money on printing materials in 2 languages. All they wanted to do was save money. What a shame!
    We see so many tribes overrun and undermined

While their invaders dream of lands they've left behind

Better people...better food...and better beer...

Why move around the world when Eden was so near?
    -Neil Peart from the song Territories&

Well it only cots 475 now,wait till it's billions every single year! And you can't get a job because you don't speak spanish! Deal with it now befor eit gets out of hand, the more you let things go the more likely you'll end up a sanctuary city.

And not speaking English is self-inflicted divisiveness. People are living here over 10 years and not able to speak simple sentences, that I know in other languages. They are seperatist by choice because they live in a non-English sub-culture. They don't live like Americans, they live in their Spanish speaking community and divided from the rest of America.

Non-English speakers are divisive, not the people encourageing them to speak English!

English Lesson: divis - Latin for see division
    Root word of division, divide, divorce and divisive.

Dixie
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Humanity is our common language, not the English langu

"Humanity is our common language, not the English language."

Humanity is not a language. I believe Senor Bustos, in his zeal to protect Latinos, meant to indicate that we should worry more about being humane and allow anyone and everyone to Balkanize the USA. Since his last name is Bustos, I tag him as just another unreformed Latino who has no love for America. Only for his ethnicity and his desire to make America a Latino country.

Re: "Humanity is our common language, not the English l

Quote Originally Posted by misterbill
    "Humanity is our common language, not the English language."

Humanity is not a language. I believe Senor Bustos, in his zeal to protect Latinos, meant to indicate that we should worry more about being humane and allow anyone and everyone to Balkanize the USA. Since his last name is Bustos, I tag him as just another unreformed Latino who has no love for America. Only for his ethnicity and his desire to make America a Latino country.
    These people are idiots! I hope when there's a fire or a natural disaster the human language can save his people's asses since they refuse to speak english. If in order to be a citizen you have to pass a test and show you have a grasp of the english language, how is it divisive that people who live in this country should speak and learn english? If they want papers translated for them they should do so at their own expense instead of at the taxpayers. Here in San diego they handed out papers at my kid's pre school, FREE ENGLISH LESSONS and FREE DAYCARE all they have to do is PROMISE to speak english to their kids. Where are my FREE spanish lessons and FREE daycare since in order to get a job at some places I need to be bilingual because these people are too lazy to learn english! But look at California, it's bankrupt and will remain so, I hope these people enjoy their nany state while it lasts because soon all their freebies will be gone and there will be no money for anything as their ignorance and ability to stand in the freebie line instead of working for a living is driving out the taxpayers who are sick and tired of paying for these people.

Mercedes Bustos is DIVIDING people by not agreeing to make English the official language.

I knew this wasnt going to fly as soon as I read that Lewisville announced plans to make English the official language.
    RIP Butterbean! We miss you and hope you are well in heaven.-- Your ALIPAC friends

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn