This is another article about a local radio personality going to Washington to protest illegal immigration.

http://link.toolbot.com/sun-sentinel.com/75222

Local radio show host takes immigration protest to D.C.

By Ruth Morris
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted April 21 2007

There are high heels and scuffed sneakers, a child's tap shoes and U.S. Army boots just back from Iraq.

In all, talk show host Joyce Kaufman has received 5,000 pairs of shoes at WFTL, AM 850, in Fort Lauderdale to support a campaign for a tougher federal immigration policy.

Kaufman plans to take the shoes with her when she travels to Washington, D.C., today for a "Hold their Feet to the Fire" rally, a four-day event to oppose federal legislation that would bring guest workers to the United States, or legalize millions of undocumented immigrants. She plans to dump the shoes in front of the White House.

From Sunday to Wednesday, she and 35 other radio hosts will conduct live broadcasts during the event, organized by the Federation for American Immigration Reform.

"I'm as serious as a heart attack," said Kaufman, in her signature brassy style. "I'm just asking them to be legal. Just come in legally. There's too many of them!"

Such comments frustrate advocates of legalization, who say anti-immigrant sentiments are increasingly prevalent, in part because of shows like Kaufman's and that of CNN host Lou Dobbs.

"We need to tone down the rhetoric and stop talking past each other," said Cheryl Little, executive director of the Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center. "Programs like Lou Dobbs' I think encourage discrimination and really don't advance the debate."

Little said anti-immigrant voices should take note of a recent Immigration Policy Center study that showed high rates of assimilation among newcomers. Based on 2000 census figures, it found that 91 percent of the children of Mexican immigrants, and 97 percent of their grandchildren, spoke English well.

Born in New York, Kaufman, 53, describes herself as a liberal who is an environmentalist and pro-choice. But when it comes to immigration, she has reached the angry edge of her tolerance level.

Kaufman, who's on the air 2-4 p.m. Monday through Friday, said she has long thought immigrants a burden to social services, but the last straw came when she called her cable company recently and heard a message that told her to "press one for English." Kaufman, who learned to speak perfect Spanish from her Puerto Rican mother, was outraged. She tells her listeners that immigrants should learn to speak English.

"I feel like we're losing America," she said during one recent broadcast. "Don't call me a bigot. I'm a patriot."

Immigrants and their advocates organized huge marches across the United States last year to demand that Congress approve a path to citizenship for those living here without authorization.

Campaigns like Kaufman's, which support a crackdown on the undocumented and restrictions on benefits they receive, have played to smaller audiences. Kaufman said her side is gaining momentum as millions of Americans become exasperated with runaway immigration.

"I dare them to tell me those shoes don't represent voters," Kaufman said. "A group of people who maybe politicians think are a small minority are in fact a huge majority."

When Kaufman announced on the air that she would attend the Washington rally, listeners told her they wanted to go along. Because of the logistical problems of such as trip, she invited supporters to instead send in their shoes, telling them: "I'll take your soles with me."

The response was quick and steady. One listener paid $53 in postage to send in shoes. A workman took the boots off his feet. Fellow radio hosts supported her efforts, and the shoes began piling up. "I hit on a nerve," Kaufman said.

There was strong opposition, too. Hate mail began arriving in her e-mail. Her two adult children, who disagree with her stance, were furious.

Jose Alcerro, director of the Honduran Community Center in West Palm Beach, characterized campaigns like Kaufman's as a response to the strong showing at pro-immigration marches last year -- some drawing hundreds of thousands of supporters. Organizers are calling for similar marches on May 1, as U.S. senators struggle to hammer out an immigration overhaul plan. A House bill that passed in March would tighten border security while offering a path to citizenship to millions of undocumented immigrants -- a provision opponents blast as an amnesty for scofflaws.

As for Kaufman's assertions that American culture is losing ground -- she gamely tells listeners that she loves hotdogs and encourages them to fly American flags -- Alcerro said Kaufman and others should not feel threatened.

"They only lose their culture if they permit themselves to," he said. "We bring our culture with us, and they have theirs with them, too. We don't ask people to assimilate to our culture, but to respect it."

So the controversy crackles on.

During one recent broadcast, she slammed the hit television show American Idol, which showcased Latin-themed music in a recent episode and featured one contestant briefly singing in Spanish. "The show is called American Idol, not Central American Idol, not South American Idol," she exclaimed.

Where local politicians tiptoe, Kaufman stomps. Asked about the wet-foot, dry-foot policy that allows most Cubans to stay here if they set foot on U.S. soil, Kaufman said, "Cubans have had 50 years to resolve Castro and communism. It's long overdue to discontinue that policy."

U.S. Rep. Alcee Hastings, D-Miramar, said Kaufman's campaign speaks to the high emotions that pervade the immigration debate. "It's a hot topic in our nation," said Hastings, after being a guest on her show.