Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Expose of Illegal Aliens Working On Lou Dobbs' Farm? What's The Lesson?

By Roy Beck, Thursday, October 7, 2010, 8:09 AM EDT - posted on NumbersUSA

I just got off a nationally syndicated radio show with the reporter who wrote the expose released today by the Nation magazine suggesting that several illegal aliens have been working at Lou Dobbs' farm. But the reporter acknowledged that Dobbs himself may not have employed the illegal workers. It's a complicated story that reinforces the need for mandatory verification procedures throughout our economy.

Isabel Macdonald, the reporter, calls Dobbs a hypocrite for railing against businesses that hire illegal aliens while having "undocumented" workers on his own farm. She suggests that the real lesson is that illegal workers are too enmeshed in our economy to practically stop using them. Obviously, from that point of view, an amnesty for illegal workers and an increase in immigration of legal foreign workers would be better than trying to stop the hiring of illegal aliens.

The Nation article was posted only this morning. I had a few quick minutes to read it before going on the radio show to comment. But it immediately looked to me like the alleged illegal workers had been hired by a company with which Dobbs had contracted. That is, they had not been hired by Dobbs himself.

This was basically confirmed on the radio show when Macdonald said it isn't clear that Dobbs ever actually hired any of the workers who have told Macdonald that they are "undocumented" but have worked at Dobb's farm.

I made the point that it appears Dobbs has done nothing illegal. In fact, federal law basically prohibits people like you, me and Dobbs from asking workers about their legal status if they have been hired by an outside company.

Because each Congress since 1996 -- plus Presidents Clinton, Bush and Obama -- has blocked mandatory workplace verification for hires, every citizen who does business with entities providing housecleaning, landscaping, childcare, remodeling or any other service is really put into the role of cop if he/she wants to try to ensure that no illegal alien will be involved.

Let's face it, few citizens -- when not required -- will take the initiative and time to do everything they can to ensure that they are contracting with companies that keep illegal aliens out of their workforce. And it appears that Dobbs was not one of them -- although we haven't heard his side of the story yet.

Here are some things that each of us could do to go beyond what the law requires while sparing ourselves possible embarrassing revelations and making sure that people who provide us services are legal workers:

•Do business only with firms which are certified users of the E-Verify system. If you prefer not to give up your relationship with a non-E-Verify business, give it a two-month ultimatum to sign up for the easy-to-use, free internet e-verify system.
    •If you are unwilling to give up a business relationship with a firm that is unwilling to use E-Verify, require a letter from the firm promising that it does not hire illegal labor.

•If you hire people directly, use E-Verify to determine the eligibility to work. It can be done by individuals but isn't really set up at the moment to make it likely that large numbers of individuals will do so. Most individuals would probably want to use a "designated agent," which is a company that, for a small fee, will run your part-time household employee through E-Verify for you. Go to www.USCIS.gov to find more information on this process.

In the end, though, we will all be much better protected if Congress would require that every person employed in the U.S. be run through E-Verify. In addition, the Social Security Administration needs to be sending out letters to everybody whose name and Social Security number are being used for multiple employments (indicating likely identity theft).

Very few so-called "undocumented workers" are without documents. The Social Security Administration estimates that 75% of illegal workers have committed felonies through identity fraud.

If news organizations and politicians can't bring themselves to call them "illegal aliens," they should at least use the accurate term "fraudulently documented workers."

I hope each one of you is putting pressure on your favorite candidates for Congress this month to promise to pass a law making E-Verify mandatory and not hold it hostage to linking it with an amnesty.

ROY BECK is Founder & CEO of NumbersUSA

http://www.numbersusa.com/content/nusab ... esson.html
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So now, all illegals have for defense is "pay back"?
    ------------------------

Un believable don't ya think...Lou Dobbs say it isn't so.....Job Americans won't do huh!!!!!!! Taking it all to the bank are we?

Kathyet

This article is on the U.S.A. TODAY site.

Post comments @

http://www.thenation.com/article/155209 ... -hypocrite
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Banned

How to use this story

It's possible to use this story to your advantage, without supporting Dobbs. The goal is to help portray those illegal immigration supporters who are spreading the story as fact-challenged and part of a crooked scheme.

Examples of what I've done:
    ----------------------------
    @katrinanation: crooked banks can relax: The Nation is never going to follow their $: http://24ahead.com/s/immigration-banks #p2 #tlot #sgp
    (twitter.com/24AheadDotCom/statuses/26672252335)
    @ZaidJilani: you claim Dobbs "hired" illegal aliens, yet I don't see that in the Nation article. Where is it? Which paragraph? #p2 #tlot
    (twitter.com/24AheadDotCom/statuses/26671865477)
    thenation.com/article/155209/lou-dobbs-american-hypocrite#comment-449107
    The Nation should use some of their "Investigative Fund" to follow the money on articles like this.

The bottom line here is the bottom line: powerful interests see illegal aliens as a source of money and power, and this smear campaign is part of their larger campaign to profit from illegal activity.

Take a look at some of those The Nation is enabling:

http://24ahead.com/s/immigration-banks
    voices.washingtonpost.com/plum-line/2010/10/lou_dobbs_illegal_immigrant_pr.html
    Adam Serwer is, of course, misleading. There's nothing in the article that I can see that alleges that Dobbs actually hired anyone.

Further, after he left CNN (pushed out by someone who's since been fired), Dobbs supported amnesty. The current version of Dobbs is more on Adam Serwer's side than most Americans. And, we see how those like Adam Serwer treat their new friends.

The bottom line here is the bottom line: powerful interests see illegal aliens as a source of money and power, and this smear campaign is part of their larger campaign to profit from illegal activity.

I might do a couple more tweets, but that's it. Hopefully others can get out there and push similar ideas. See memeorandum.com for those discussing this and search at twitter.

"His scheduled October 9 address at the Virginia Tea Party Convention will mark his second major Tea Party address of the year, reviving questions about whether the former CNN host is gearing up for an electoral campaign. He recently told Fox's Sean Hannity that he has not ruled out a possible Senate or even presidential run in 2012"

Talk about dellusional!
    “In questions of power…let no more be heard of confidence in man, but bind him down from mischief by the chains of the Constitution.” –Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by Reciprocity
    "His scheduled October 9 address at the Virginia Tea Party Convention will mark his second major Tea Party address of the year, reviving questions about whether the former CNN host is gearing up for an electoral campaign.
    He recently told Fox's Sean Hannity that he has not ruled out a possible Senate or even presidential run in 2012"
    Talk about dellusional!
    That's on the video.
    ------------------------

Banned

I've got other things to do

This is costing me a lot of time, but I've done a few more things. If anyone could help out that would be great.

The best thing you could do is go after a big fish. Tweet something like this:

--------------
    @brianstelter: author of Nation piece admits she has no proof Dobbs "hired" anyone: http://peekURL.com/zeg4oda #SlimBucks #p2 #tlot #tcot
    --------------

That's a reference to twitter.com/brianstelter/statuses/26640812276 and the author is an NYT reporter. The goal is to get him to lower himself to posting a retraction.

If enough people tweet him about this, he might feel forced to post a retraction.

USA TODAY

Oct 07, 2010

Report: Lou Dobbs has used illegal workers for years

04:15 PM

Former CNN star Lou Dobbs, who for years has railed against illegal immigrants and employers who hire them, is being accused of relying on undocumented workers at his New Jersey estate and horse farm and at a winter home in Florida.

The charge comes from The Nation magazine, which reports the results of a year-long investigation that includes interview with five people who said they worked for Dobbs without documentation. In an interview with the Associated Press, Dobbs denied the allegation, calling The Nation article a "political assault" based on "the lie" that he has hired illegal workers. "I have never, do not now, and never will," he told AP.

Dobbs, who resigned from CNN in November 2009 after 29 years, attacked the magazine on Twitter. "The Nation tries to do a hit piece on me, attacks my daughter, and the nat'l liberal media asks no question of the left wing house organ," he wrote.

In another tweet he said he would be "setting the record straight" on his radio show today. He'll also appear tonight on Lawrence O'Donnell's MSNBC show Last Word. O'Donnell says Dobbs will face off with the report, Isabel Macdonald.

Dobbs will be the keynote speaker Saturday at the Virginia Tea Party Patriots Convention. He has said he might consider running for U.S. Senate in 2012 as "an intermediary step" that could lead to a run for the White House.
    --------------------------------
    Post comments @

http://content.usatoday.com/communities ... or-years/1
    NO AMNESTY

Don't reward the criminal actions of millions of illegal aliens by giving them citizenship.

Sign in and post comments here.

Please support our fight against illegal immigration by joining ALIPAC's email alerts here https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Shortly after Mr. Dobbs left CNN he decided to support Blanket Amnesty for the ILLEGALS. Sadly Mr. Dobbs has entered Political mode at full speed and I am having great difficulty in distinguishing him from most of our Elitist Politicians who talk out of both sides of their mouth to "go along to get along" while desiring to sound PC. Blanket Amnesty will tear our nation apart. Maybe the gunshot taken at his home has created new PC outlook. I didn’t vote for McCain or Obama because of their Pro-ILLEGAL stance including Blanket AMNESTY for ILLEGALS and I could never support anyone in the future who is Pro-ILLEGAL. Mr. Dobbs certainly is a disappointment. During an interview after he came out in support of Blanket AMNESTY he was given every opportunity to clear up any misconception we have and again he supported Blanket AMNESTY.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast