Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Lou Dobbs tonight .. Billboard wars

Dobbs just announced an upcoming piece on "billboard wars in LA."

Update: It was at least a five minute piece covering the protest and the billboard that some have called a bumper sticker but it is, in fact, a billboard put up by John and Ken Show's radio station as well as the "Green Card" show run by Liberman.

Hope someone can catch it later and type out some of Lou's comments .. one I remember was in discussion with a commentator on the matter, Lou described the billboards as "incendiary."

And a statement from Liberman appeared on the screen as well.

EDIT: .. to add transcript:
    http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIPTS/ ... dt.01.html

A Spanish language television network is posting what many southern California citizens called outrageous billboards in Los Angeles. Those billboards claim the City of Angels is really part of Mexico.

California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger says those billboards promote illegal immigration and should be taken down immediately. And one Los Angeles radio station is fighting back.

Casey Wian has the report.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

CASEY WIAN, CNN CORRESPONDENT (voice-over): It's the battle of the billboards, the latest fight over our nation's broken borders. Responding to listener outrage over this Spanish language TV station sign declaring that Los Angeles is part of Mexico, local talk radio station KFI is responding with billboards of its own.

They read, "Just to clarify, you are here, Los Angeles, California, USA. Gracias."

BILL HANDEL, KFI RADIO HOST: Number one is our listeners pay the bills. They are the ones that unfortunately are paying the bills for the illegal alien invasion.

And the other part of it, which I think is particularly difficult to deal with, is the billboard is more true than not. Unfortunately, we believe, and I think it's a fact, that Los Angeles is probably more part of Mexico than it is California. And that hurts. It rubs the salt in the wounds.

WIAN: The controversy is growing. In recent days activists have protested against the Los Angeles-Mexico sign outside KCRA channel 62 studio and gathered to support KFI's rebuttal sign. They included illegal residents from Mexico.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: You cannot call me racist because I'm Mexican myself. We just want control.

WIAN: Even Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger has demanded channel 62 remove the signs. Parent company Lieberman Broadcasting didn't return our calls. But one executive told CNN affiliate KTLA he's against illegal immigration, adding, "Hispanics living in Los Angeles have a right to a TV station that advertises itself to that market. I don't understand how that promotes illegal immigration."

Perhaps he should take another look at his signs, which display a well-known statue from Mexico City superimposed over the Los Angeles skyline.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

WIAN: Lieberman Broadcasting is familiar with controversy about illegal immigration. It's the same company that airs "Gana la Verde," the reality TV show that offers as its prize legal help for illegal aliens seeking a green card -- Lou.

DOBBS: Are the -- is that program still on the air? That was one of the more enterprising entrepreneurial aspects of illegal immigration.

WIAN: It's one of their highest-rated shows. It's on the air, if you want to catch it, 7:00 Friday evening.

DOBBS: Believe me, I don't. I absolutely don't.

Lieberman, quite an interesting fellow. I mean, this is his -- is incendiary. I don't know whether it encourages illegal immigration or not, but certainly would support Governor Schwarzenegger in that judgment, if that is his.

But it is certainly incendiary. It is provocative, and seemingly unnecessarily so. What is the reasoning on the part of the Lieberman Broadcasting people?

WIAN: Well, they didn't talk to us today. But in the past we have spoken to them. And they're in a ratings battle with two giant Spanish language television networks. They are getting a lot of publicity from this controversy, and it appeals to some people in their audience, these ads -- Lou.

DOBBS: Appeals, and certainly they are getting the attention they would desire. Unfortunately, it is just an absolutely unnecessary insult to all the citizens in southern California who take pride in their citizenship in being in California, not Mexico.

WIAN: And a growing number of those citizens are -- are protesting these signs. There's another protest scheduled for tomorrow -- Lou.

DOBBS: Well, it's a -- it's a contest of freedom of expression m this country. A battle between KCRA and KFI. It will be interesting to watch, as I know you will. Thank you for that great report, Casey. Casey Wian from Los Angeles
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

And it was good. Lou Dobbs for president
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    And it was good. Lou Dobbs for president
    Do you remember any of the comments?

CharlesOakIsland for vice-president and Barkley for barksperson.
    "This country has lost control of its borders. And no country can sustain that kind of position." .... Ronald Reagan

the other radio station put up a sign stating that it is LA USA.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Does anyone have a picture of the billboard that John and Ken put up?

Acidrain

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/Programs/lou.dobbs.tonight/

Above is a link to the transcript of the Lou Dobbs show tonight. This includes the entire show so I won't post the contents. The segment about the LA billboard is 1/2 the way down, I believe. Also discussed in tonight's show was how illegal aliens are impacting the construction industry in America.

In addition, I viewed last nights' Lou Dobbs show by reading the transcripts online. There was more than one segment concerning illegal aliens. One segment I found very interesting is that England's citizens are also starting to voice concerns (they've feared appearing racist for speaking out) not only about their high legal immigration levels but also the high illegal population in their country. Something was mentioned about elections coming up very shortly in the UK and politicians are scared (because of polls taken of citizens, i.e. door-to-door where the majority of English citizens are very concerned) that the immigrant situation may be a sleeper that will affect the elections.

Apparently, Tony Blair is lax about England's immigration problems just as El Presidente Jorge Bush and La Congresa are in the good ol' Estados Unidos de la Amexica.
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

noillegalimmigrationannie
    thanks I wanted to go look at it also and read what I missed.