Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

http://www.dailypilot.com/articles/2006 ... cape28.txt

Dec 28, 2006

POLITICAL LANDSCAPE:
    Riled up over conviction
    Rohrabacher seeks pardons for Border Patrol agents; Orange County Republicans go glossy; reports about progress in airport expansion project are available online.
    By Alicia Robinson

A policy that prevents Border Patrol agents from shooting at suspects unless they are directly threatened with a weapon is "about as nonsensical as anything I've ever seen in my 30 or 40 years of public awareness," Rep. Dana Rohrabacher of Huntington Beach said last week.

Rohrabacher has been calling on President Bush to pardon two Border Patrol agents who were convicted earlier this year after shooting a drug smuggler who had illegally entered the country with a van full of marijuana.

He upped the ante last week, holding a news conference in Santa Ana with one of the agents, the same day he received a letter from federal officials suggesting the agents apply for a pardon.

The agents, Ignacio Ramos and Jose Alonso Compean, were sentenced in October for assault with a deadly weapon, a civil rights violation and other charges.

The incident, which has been alternately described as shooting a man in the buttocks as he ran away and subduing a potentially armed criminal who disobeyed law enforcement, was a controversial one, but Rohrabacher is not one to shy away from controversy.

He said he jumped into the issue because the regulations that control Border Patrol agents' behavior affect how they can do their jobs, and this case didn't make sense to him.

"This is about the stupidest, most nonsensical policy that I've ever seen," he said. "How can you say to the Border Patrol that they can't use their weapons unless somebody is about to shoot them? … Their only recourse will be to wrestle someone to the ground. Why would someone stop if he [the agent] can't use his weapon?"

Rohrabacher said since the drug smuggler escaped at the time, the only evidence that he wasn't armed is his word, and he had thrown one of the agents to the ground as they chased him.

The congressman planned to apply for pardons for the agents, and he said if Bush doesn't approve them, he will have shown himself to be "a heartless person and someone who has basically … stupid policies."

The agents are set to begin serving prison terms in January.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It was really excellent. We need to call, call call !!
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by TexasCowgirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Charlesoakisland
    TexasCowgirl
    love your new do.

There are times when I get very, very angry and my photoshop is right there!
    I think a little red Kennedy devil with a pitch fork sitting on his should would be jussssst right.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have already made the call, tomorrow though, I will make calls on behalf of all my family members, I already have their permission to do so! I am sorry, that even though I will continue to beg for their release, I have no good feeling the President is going to give these men pardons, they are scapegoats, for the rest of the Border Guard, letting them know not to defend our borders with any real efforts on their behalf, else they will be screwed by our Federal Gov! I think the only thing that would get any effect right now is for many of the border guards to just walk off the job or do a protest on their behalf.
    Build the dam fence post haste!

Banned
    The congressman planned to apply for pardons for the agents, and he said if Bush doesn't approve them, he will have shown himself to be "a heartless person and someone who has basically … stupid policies."
    It doesn't get more blunt than this. And did you hear him say on Dobbs that Bush's complete lack of border security is "bizarre"? I think a lot of people are now willing to openly acknowledge the obvious - we have an idiot and a traitor for President.

Quote Originally Posted by nittygritty
    I have already made the call, tomorrow though, I will make calls on behalf of all my family members, I already have their permission to do so! I am sorry, that even though I will continue to beg for their release, I have no good feeling the President is going to give these men pardons, they are scapegoats, for the rest of the Border Guard, letting them know not to defend our borders with any real efforts on their behalf, else they will be screwed by our Federal Gov! I think the only thing that would get any effect right now is for many of the border guards to just walk off the job or do a protest on their behalf.
    Border Officers, like other officers don't walk off the job, no matter how bad it gets. The exception to the rule was the so called officers in New Orleans that did and there not all walked off.

Border Officers, like other officers don't walk off the job, no matter how bad it gets. The exception to the rule was the so called officers in New Orleans that did and there not all walked off.
    You are probably right Charles, still, I say that would be the only thing that would really get Jorge's or anyone else's attention here. Was I a border guard and saw this happen to 2 of my fellow guard, I would have been gone in a New York minute, then, I always was one, who cut off my own nose to spite my face for the principal of the thing!
    Build the dam fence post haste!

You are probably right Charles, still, I say that would be the only thing that would really get Jorge's or anyone else's attention here. Was I a border guard and saw this happen to 2 of my fellow guard, I would have been gone in a New York minute, then, I always was one, who cut off my own nose to spite my face for the principal of the thing!
    If the thin blue line were to go on strike you would see crime truly run rampant. 99 percent of officers take their oath of office very serious and will not walk out. Take the word of a 30 year cop on that.

If only politicians took their oaths as seriously as law enforcement officers we wouldn't be in such a mess.
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Quote Originally Posted by redbadger
    Cowgirl????
    McCain looks different....is it the hair cut..LOLOL
    Caught him before his morning coffee. lol
    The John McCain Call Center
    [img]http://news.bbc.co.uk/olmedia/815000/images/_818096_foxphone150.jpg[/]

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast