Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Mark Krikorian: Romney Screws the Pooch on Immigration

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mark Krikorian: Romney Screws the Pooch on Immigration

Romney Screws the Pooch on Immigration

By Mark Krikorian
    June 15, 2012 7:02 P.M.
    Comments 57

Okay, maybe that wasn’t the best metaphor, but he fumbled an important opportunity. The problem with the president’s amnesty decree is not that it “makes it more difficult to reach that long-term solution because an executive order is, of course, just a short-term matter — it can be reversed by subsequent presidents.”

The problem is that it’s u-n-c-o-n-s-t-i-t-u-t-i-o-n-a-l. You would expect Allen West and Steve King to be forceful in denouncing this usurpation, but even Amnesty John McCain and Rick “you don’t have a heart” Perry were strong. Heck, Lindsey Graham — Lindsey Graham — denounced the move as “possibly illegal.” And the fact that Romney didn’t answer when asked if he’d reverse the order is an especially bad sign.

I know all those who’ve been accusing me of being in the tank for Romney will say “I told you so,” but my distress isn’t really about his views on the policy issue at hand — he seemed to endorse Rubio’s as-yet-not-introduced revision of the DREAM Act, which I’m pretty sure I won’t like.

I’m appalled because this is a fundamental matter of our political order. The precedent that would be set if the president gets away with this can — and will — be applied to other areas of law, upsetting the checks and balances that are essential to our republic. In effect, President Obama and his cheering squad are saying that representative democracy no longer works and that we need to preserve its forms but replace it with a system in which the august first citizen of the republic makes the laws. We could call it, I dunno, a principate, maybe.

Romney Screws the Pooch on Immigration - By Mark Krikorian - The Corner - National Review Online
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

I have no argument with any of Mr. Krikorian's remarks, essentially agreeing with all things remarked about. Obama has pushed the can far down the road.

But, let's take a look historically, too. We had a president who said that the president makes the law and cannot break them law Anyone remember Richard Millhouse Nixon. Presidnt Ford pardoned Nixon before any convictions of Nixon concerning Watergate, I think today is the anniversary of that break-in. While I still maintain that American law requires deportation of those that enter illegally, Ronadl Reagan pardoned (granted amnesty) over 2 million lawbreakers. GHW Bush did nothing to enforce border control even after being informed by me that amnesty and his inaction brought horrible death to my son. B. Clinton could only get authorization for 500 border agents, congress would not do more, I beleive a republican congress. Then Republicans elected open border President GW Bush.

But, it is election time. And that inspires politicians always on all sides to only tell a part of the truth that favors them. For the last twenty years or so, now the news reporters have decided that showing their political leaning is just OK to do also. A trend that began after Watergate really, in attempting to be the reporter to get the next "watergate style" scoop for their own financial gain.

Slanting the truth by withholding a part of the truth if one is involved in a crimianla ivestigation is illegal, too. Doing so exacts penalties. Why do we not hold politicians and reporters to the same standards that we are required to obey?

I do not respect slanting the truth or lying, so I do not have a candidate in this race that has earned my vote!