Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mayoral Candidate: Indianapolis Should Boycott Arizona

Mayoral Candidate: Indianapolis Should Boycott Arizona
    Jose Evans: Arizona Law Discriminatory

POSTED: 12:12 pm EDT June 10, 2010
    UPDATED: 7:54 pm EDT June 10, 2010

INDIANAPOLIS -- A candidate for mayor said Thursday that he wants the city to join others that are boycotting products from Arizona because of the state's immigration law.

City-County Councilor Jose Evans said Indianapolis should ban all city-paid trips to Arizona and prohibit the city from purchasing products from Arizona-based vendors.

At a news conference at the Mexican Consulate, Evans blasted Arizona's new immigration law that takes effect July 29 that requires police who are enforcing another law to question people they suspects are illegal immigrants.

"All of us have witnessed the decisions made by the state of Arizona that have resulted in laws that I believe are discriminatory against our Hispanic and Latino citizens," Evans said. "To pass legislation that enables law enforcement officers to harass, question and detain our citizens because they are suspected of being an illegal immigrant is blatantly wrong."

Sen. Mike Delph, R-Carmel, one of the main advocates in the Legislature for a crackdown on illegal immigration in Indiana, said Evans' statement is the wrong one to make.

"I think it's grossly misguided. It's unfortunate," Delph said.

Delph plans to introduce another immigration bill in the next session. He said Evans' plan and similar boycotts might prompt him to add a section to the bill preempting local governments' ability to take action on the subject.

"There's a real problem in Arizona with (narcotic) traffickers crossing the border and taking American lives and American property," Delph said. "I think all citizens ought to stand with the people of Arizona. If Councilman Evans and others have a strong concern, I think their energies ought to be focused on Washington, D.C."

Evans said he doesn't know how much business Indianapolis does with Arizona firms.

An aide to Mayor Greg Ballard told 6News that the city does not have any contracts with companies located in Arizona.

When asked of it was possible the city is buying goods or services from companies that are located elsewhere and have headquarters in Arizona, she said that information would take a little extra time to find.

Bloomington officials said last week they will boycott products from Arizona.

http://oneoldvet.com/

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/23858346/detail.html
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Wrong move Evans
    I support enforcement and see its lack as bad for the 3rd World as well. Remittances are now mostly spent on consumption not production assets. Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)