Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

MD - Takoma Park stands behind illegal immigrant sanctuary

TAKOMA PARK - As counties in Western Maryland move toward stricter enforcement of laws against illegal immigrants, officials in Takoma Park are standing behind a decades-old law to provide sanctuary to them.

"We just were much happier with sending the message to the community that ... the police are your friends," said Takoma Park Mayor Bruce Williams.

The city is "not there to be an arm of the federal immigration enforcement officers," said Susan Silber, the city's attorney.

The city's sanctuary law, passed in 1985, made it legal for immigrants to live in Takoma Park regardless of whether they had entered the country legally.It provided a welcome mat for those fleeing persecution or civil war, officials said.

Takoma Park Police were forbidden from asking about a person's immigration status and from working with federal immigration officers.

The law was updated by the council in 2007 to clarify that Takoma Park Police could not make further inquiries even if they saw a notice pop up during a routine stop that federal immigration officials had a warrant out for that person.

City officials rejected attempts by Police Chief Ronald Ricucci to be granted the power to investigate further.

"I wanted to be able to inquire, and if it was a felony, I wanted to be able to take action," he said.

Takoma Park's law contrasts sharply with anti-illegal immigration efforts in Frederick County. The county is participating in the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement's 287(g) program, which allows participating local police officers to carry out some of the duties of federal immigration officers -- such as housing illegal immigrants in their prisons.

Washington County Sheriff Doug Mullendore said he would like to bring that program to his county. But, he said, until it gets more prison bed space, it can't fully implement it.

"The majority of our people are trained to recognize whether or not they are illegal immigrants, but it's the correction side that we cannot fully implement at this point," he said.

Currently in Washington County, local police officers will contact federal officials if they have an illegal immigrant in custody. Federal officials have 48 hours to decide whether or not to pick them up.

Ricucci said those efforts in Western Maryland have not swayed Takoma Park's position. "We're doing our job just as well as we've always done it," he said.

He added he is confident the federal program will never be brought to Takoma Park -- a city known for its liberal-leaning tendencies. It declared itself a "Nuclear-Free Zone" in 1983. And it allows residents to vote in local elections regardless of their legal status. Garrett Park, Somerset, Martin's Addition and Barnesville, all in Montgomery County, also allow non-U.S. citizens to vote in local elections, said Tom Reynolds, director of educational services at the Maryland Municipal League.

Many in Takoma Park, including immigrant-rights activist Whit Hutchison, have embraced the sanctuary. "I think it's great, it's one of the reasons I choose to live in Takoma Park," he said.

But others, such as Karin Anderson, who has lived in Takoma Park for 42 years, are concerned about the sanctuary's ramifications, including its potential impact on crime.

"I think that any time you can do anything about anything illegal, the police should be able to do that," said Anderson. "They can ask me for my papers. It doesn't bother me a bit."

The city has a higher-than-average immigrant population. According to data from the 2000 census, the most recent available, 28.6 percent of Takoma Park residents were foreign born, compared to 10.4 percent nationally and 9.8 percent in Maryland.

But Ricucci said he believes Takoma Park Police have a strong relationship with the immigrant population, and that relationship has helped keep the city safer.

Takoma Park's statistics for violent crimes, robberies and property crimes have held fairly steady between 2005 and 2009, according to the FBI. Between 2005 and 2009, violent crimes inched up from 96 to 104; robberies dropped from 66 to 54; and property crimes fell from 782 to 659.

Hyattsville, a nearby town with a similar population size, saw slight increases in some of its crime statistics in that time period: Violent crimes rose from 115 to 126, and robberies rose from 81 to 86. Property crimes jumped from 780 to 1,517.

Ricucci said if someone does something illegal in Takoma Park, legal resident or not, they will get arrested.

He does have some lingering concerns, though, about the sanctuary. "I still have concerns for citizen and officer safety, that the law could hinder us," he said.

"Is there a possibility there? Yeah, and I made that known to the council and the mayor ... and I still worry about that," Ricucci said.

"But, right now, it seems to work."

http://www.hometownannapolis.com/news/r ... tuary.html
    Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Oh, and for anyone not familiar with Maryland, Takoma Park is less than 20 minutes from THE WHITE HOUSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you believe that???????

In AMERICA, a city located adjacent to our NATION'S CAPITAL has deemed itself a sanctuary city for illegal aliens!!!

Calling an illegal alien an "undocumented worker" is like calling a drug dealer an "unlicensed pharmacist"........

Illegals

All illegal aliens must be deported NOW.

Sounds like Maryland is guilty of trying to do the job that the Federal government is supposed to do and breaking Federal laws in the process.

Where is the DOJ to file a lawsuit?
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Hello illegals here is the place you should run to. Get there fast while there's still room......

HELLO ICE THIS IS WHERE YOU CAN PICK THEM UP!!!!

So that is why I have noticed SO MANY in that area. And working jobs they are not SUPPOSE to be working. Oh,and the federal government IS NOT SUING them for violations. Just Arizona since they want laws obeyed!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou

Quote Originally Posted by Newmexican
    Sounds like Maryland is guilty of trying to do the job that the Federal government is supposed to do and breaking Federal laws in the process.

Where is the DOJ to file a lawsuit?
    Where's the DOJ? They are busy suing Arizona who is trying to enforce the law against illegal invaders! The DOJ is not interested in states that provide sanctuary (a direct violation of federal immigration law) because they do not want federal immigration laws enforced against illegal invaders.

It's only those states that try to enforce the law and save themselves from this invasion which draw the wrath of the DOJ.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Where is the Department of Justice????

Well they are busy handing out money to these illegal alien sanctuaries:

DOJ Gave Millions to Illegal Immigrant 'Sanctuaries,' Report Finds

"Subsidizing Sanctuaries: The State Criminal Alien Assistance Program," a report from the Center for Immigration Studies, found that the federal grant program commonly known as SCAAP allocated $62.2 million -- more than 15 percent of its $400 million total -- to 27 jurisdictions that are widely considered to be "sanctuary communities."

"Basically, the federal government is subsidizing through this grant program jurisdictions that on the one hand are complaining about the cost of illegal immigration and demanding reimbursement from the federal government, while at the same time they have policies in place that make their locality a magnet for illegal aliens," Vaughan told FoxNews.com.

According to Department of Justice figures cited in the report, five of the top 10 SCAAP grants to localities and two of the top 10 grants to states went to jurisdictions that are considered sanctuaries.

To that end, Miller has authored legislation -- the Loophole Elimination and Verification Enforcement Act, or LEAVE -- that would prohibit sanctuary communities from receiving both Department of Justice and Department of Homeland Security funds.

"I hope the next Congress will take up this commonsense proposal and penalize sanctuary cities for their irresponsible policies," Miller's statement concluded.

Bob Dane, a spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, suggested that the number of sanctuary communities would reduce significantly if the DOJ grants were discontinued.

"One of the best fixes is to deny state and federal funding to the places that harbor illegal aliens," Dane said. "The entire country is slowly but surely moving from a sanctuary mentality to a 'fix it' mentality, but you've got these remaining pockets of resistance, many of them in big cities."

Dane continued, "You hit 'em where it hurts, in the wallet, and maybe they'll get it. We're reimbursing cities for a problem of their own making."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/11/12/do ... ort-finds/

If anyone has a few moments to blast Mayor Bruce Williams of Takoma Park, here's his email addy:

BruceW@takomagov.org

"We just were much happier with sending the message to the community that ... the police are your friends," said Takoma Park Mayor Bruce Williams.

So this guy is actually befriending illegal alien invaders.