Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Meet the 24-year-old who could decide the future of TUSD's e

Meet the 24-year-old who could decide the future of TUSD's ethnic studies

By Ernesto Portillo Jr. Arizona Daily Star | Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2011 3:51 pm

Miguel Cuevas didn’t ask to be in this spot. But the freshman Tucson Unified School Board member is in the crucible of the district’s cultural and educational debate.

He is the swing vote on a proposal by board president Mark Stegeman to diminish Mexican-American Studies. But 24-year-old Cuevas appears unfazed even in the midst of the highly charged debate that has attracted national attention.

“I have to do what I think is right,â€
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

South West Florida (Behind friendly lines but still in Occupied Territory)
    this is why you have to get rid of the Anchor babies getting full citizenship
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Quote Originally Posted by AirborneSapper7
    this is why you have to get rid of the Anchor babies getting full citizenship
    Ditto!

[quote]“Anyone who knows who I am definitely knows I’m not going to sell out.â€
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Lets hope he means that by doing right by all Latino students, he means treating them like every other student and votes to make these ethnic studies electives. If students want to gain an education, which is the sole purpose of public education, everyone already knows that ethnic studies aren't part of that. It's something extra that doesn't help them in work or home life or going to college. From everything we've seen, heard and read about them, they are divisive with strange messages and objectives. Should Chicago have mandatory Polish-American Studies? Should New York mandate Jewish-American Studies? Should Boston mandate Irish-American Studies? Should Florida mandate Cuban-American Studies? How does that solve the outrageous drop out problems in public education? It hasn't, it doesn't, it won't. It was a bad idea that failed.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

?

Maybe I read this article incorrectly.

On my website MY headline said:

"Young Hispanic Stands Up to Hostile Advocates for Racist “Razaâ€

Re: ?

[quote="oneoldvet"]Maybe I read this article incorrectly.

On my website MY headline said:

"Young Hispanic Stands Up to Hostile Advocates for Racist “Razaâ€
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

I think the larger question here is how did a 24 year old end up sitting on the TUSD board in the first place. That's the story I would be interested in hearing. What does a 24 year old, who hasn't even finished college, know about education? Not that any of his fellow school board member are probably any more qualified. But perhaps they are.

Nonetheless, one might be lead to believe that someone having the power to make decisions on behalf of the entire TUSD would at least have some professional experience in education, other than being a student. I realize he's being touted as the wonder child, but that aside, what are his credentials for serving; other than being raised by “immigrantsâ€

[quote="NoBueno"]I think the larger question here is how did a 24 year old end up sitting on the TUSD board in the first place. That's the story I would be interested in hearing. What does a 24 year old, who hasn't even finished college, know about education? Not that any of his fellow school board member are probably any more qualified. But perhaps they are.

Nonetheless, one might be lead to believe that someone having the power to make decisions on behalf of the entire TUSD would at least have some professional experience in education, other than being a student. I realize he's being touted as the wonder child, but that aside, what are his credentials for serving; other than being raised by “immigrantsâ€

The writer of the story is a biased pro illegal immigration zelot.

The single 24 year old grad student at U of A is the son of legal immigrants and ran for the Tucson TUSD school board because so few people ever run. He is serving his community and is an independent thinker who will likely vote with Stegeman and Hicks.

The writer isn't happy with the power this 24 year old has, thus this article.
    Illegal aliens remain exempt from American laws, while they DEMAND American rights...