Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mere English Speakers Need Not Apply

Mere English Speakers Need Not Apply
    Posted by: GuardDog in Language, Multiculturalism

A sign of the times? Perhaps

Mere English speakers need not apply
    Buckhorn Road Blog
    February 12, 2008

I had Monday off in honor of Lincoln’s birthday, so I thought I would do something productive and get the car washed. I was on my way back home and had just turned from Fair Oaks Boulevard onto El Camino Avenue when I spotted the sign pictured above. I was so flabbergasted by the audacity of what was posted on the sign that I drove on home, got the digital camera, and drove back so I could obtain a photographic record of this travesty of a job posting.

For years, people have been bothered by the Press 1 for English; Press 2 for Spanish nonsense, but at least you had a choice of which button to push. Prospective employees who might want to work for JC Penney don’t have a choice - they must be able to speak Spanish if they want this job… and this job is located in the United States; a suburban area of Sacramento to be exact.

Unfortunately, that picture represents our future. Just today, the media - both mainstream and alternative - was buzzing about a report that said by the year 2050, the population of the United States will have ballooned to 438 million people, with the number of Hispanics in this country tripling from its current level, and the percentage of our Hispanic population doubling. And the million dollar quote from the article stated:

The projected growth in the U.S. population — 303 million today — will be driven primarily by immigration among all groups except the elderly.

Naturally, they didn’t specify if that would be legal or illegal immigration, but I’m sure you can figure that one out on your own.

I realize that JC Penney is a private company, and if they want Spanish-speaking employees, then as a private company, I believe they have the right to follow this wrong-headed employment requirement if they wish. However, as a consumer who is free to shop anywhere I please, I am under no compulsion to do business with JC Penney, and I am likewise perfectly free to criticize JC Penney for a company requirement that is fundamentally wrong. From now on, I’ll buy my t-shirts and dress shoes elsewhere.

Good Day to You, Sir
    http://www.immigrationwatchdog.com/?p=5832
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)