Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexican transgender asylum seeker allowed to stay in U.S

Mexican transgender asylum seeker allowed to stay in U.S.
    By Felisa Cardona
    The Denver Post
    Posted: 11/09/2010 01:00:00 AM MSTUpdated: 11/09/2010 11:37:38 AM MST

Transgender woman Alexandra Reyes cries as she recalls abuse she suffered in Mexico. An immigration judge granted Reyes a form of asylum that allows her to stay in the U.S. (Kathryn Scott Osler, The Denver Post )When Alexandra Reyes' father caught her wearing her sister's shoes and clothes, he tied her up and beat her with spiked pieces of a tree.

"It was so horrible, I would scream," Reyes said in Spanish. "He told me he had a son, not a daughter, and he did not accept me."

Reyes, 32, was born a boy named Carlos but began living life as a girl at age 8, infuriating her traditional Mayan family in Cenotillo, Mexico. One night, an aunt walked into Reyes' bedroom and tried to kill her with a machete because she didn't want Reyes in the family.

The Mexican police wouldn't arrest Reyes' abusers. So 10 years ago, she paid a smuggler to get her across the border. She walked four days and four nights through the desert into the U.S. and made it to Colorado, where a friend told her she would be safe.

Now, she gets to stay here.

Last week, an immigration judge granted Reyes a form of asylum that allows her to stay in the U.S. based on the persecution she suffered as a transgender woman in Mexico.

The Board of Immigration Appeals withheld her removal from the U.S. after determining the Mexican government would not protect her from abuse if she was deported.

"It would be physically dangerous for her to walk down the street," said her attorney, Bryon Large. "She could be sexually assaulted."

As a condition of her asylum, Reyes must obey the law and can't leave the U.S. for any reason if she hopes to be allowed back in.

U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services does not keep statistics on the numbers of transgender immigrants granted asylum. But Large said the relief Reyes got is rare for a Mexican national because some immigration judges think there is tolerance for the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community in Mexico.

Same-sex marriage is allowed in Mexico City, and many gay tourists flock to beach resorts throughout the country, leading to the misconception that the country is welcoming, said

Large, who argues that pockets of intolerance abound in rural Mexico.

In defending Reyes, one of the cases Large used to persuade the board was of a gay Mexican immigrant who fled to Canada but was denied asylum. After he was deported back to Mexico, he was killed.

Asylum is easier to obtain for immigrants from countries such as Jamaica, where gays are imprisoned, or Iran, where members of the LGBT community are executed, Large said.

Reyes found herself in trouble last year after she bilked a cab driver out of a $500 fare. The cabbie drove her from Aurora to Breckenridge and back, but a friend she was meeting declined to pay the fare as promised.

Reyes went to the cab company a week later to pay the bill, and the company called the police, who then called Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

"I am still ashamed," she said.

Reyes paid restitution in the cab driver case. In the meantime, she was moved to an immigration detention facility in Aurora for deportation proceedings.

Biologically male, Reyes spent 11 months in custody housed with men, but she says she was treated well and didn't have any problems despite a lack of privacy.

Reyes' case was referred to Large by the Rocky Mountain Immigrant Advocacy Network, and he began working pro bono to gain her release and asylum.

For now, Reyes is sharing an apartment in Aurora with friends and waiting to receive a work permit from the government.

She takes female hormones but has not yet had sexual reassignment surgery. She finds the American people accepting of her differences.

"What I have seen here is people are more open than people from my country," she said. "Sometimes I miss Mexico, but I am scared to return."

Reyes is trying to learn English and deciding what kind of work she wants to do.

"I want others to know that nothing is impossible," she said.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_16560073
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

And

And just WHY isn't Mexico sanctioned and reported to the U N for civil rights abuses for not protecting this person and those like her/him?

Re: And

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRevere9
    And just WHY isn't Mexico sanctioned and reported to the U N for civil rights abuses for not protecting this person and those like her/him?
    Why because they are the "Cosmic raza" dontcha know?
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)
    "

Re: And

Quote Originally Posted by PaulRevere9
    Great question! I suspect rules like this only apply to the United States when states like Arizona try to enact laws to protect itself from the ravages of illegal invaders destroying that state and this country.

Racist countries like mexico can basically do whatever they please without drawing scrutiny from the UN or any other governing body! Displays of nationalism and discrimination are just fine in mexico because their constitution says it's ok. You see, mexico is allowed to play by a different set of rules that only they can get away with.

For example, instead of hauling Arizona before the UN, perhaps obama should file suit against mexico and their continued civil rights abuses against their citizens. Any country which would compel 20 million of their citizens to enter another country illegally in order to support themselves must be guilty of some sort of civil rights violations for failing to provide sufficient economic opportunities for its populace to meet basic needs.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

now we can expect tens of thousands of men coming across the border in womens clothes claming to be transgender ....

thank you liberal immgration judge ...

I agree Marquis since they are allowed to get married in Mexico City why didn't he/she move to an area in Mexico where there is more acceptance ? This same scenario could apply to places in the USA .

BTW Just what was she doing to get her $500 dollar taxi ride paid for by "a friend" who then did not pay it ?
    "A Government big enough to give you everything you want,is strong enough to take everything you have"* Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by USPatriot
    I agree Marquis since they are allowed to get married in Mexico City why didn't he/she move to an area in Mexico where there is more acceptance ? This same scenario could apply to places in the USA .

BTW Just what was she doing to get her $500 dollar taxi ride paid for by "a friend" who then did not pay it ?
    Why? As you well know USPatroit, this case has nothing to do with "civil rights" and has everything to do with allowing another citizen of mexico the opportunity to remain in this country under some bogus excuse.

I think that so called "friend" paid for something he did not bargin for...if you catch my drift!

Large, who argues that pockets of intolerance abound in rural Mexico.
    So mexico is a large country! Find a "pocket" with more tolerance, like tijuana.....

If ever granted citizenship I'd bet soon after a petition for the parents chain migration would be submitted.