Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Mexico's Fox urges NAFTA countries to honor rules

Mexico's Fox urges NAFTA countries to honor rules
    Wency Leung
    Fri Sep 30, 6:31 PM ET

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Mexican President Vicente Fox stressed the need for countries to abide by their international trade agreements on Friday, voicing support for Canada in its softwood lumber dispute with the United States.

Fox told a business gathering that the North American Free Trade Agreement subjects trade in the region to "rules that provide guarantees of legal certainty." He later told reporters his stance included the softwood dispute.

"Mexico regrets any unilateral decision that fails to abide by the decisions of the arbitration panels where trade differences are discussed and aired," Fox said in a speech to members of the Vancouver Board of Trade.

Canada has been angered by Washington's refusal to scrap duties on Canadian softwood after a NAFTA panel ruled the United States had failed to justify the need for the tariffs imposed three years ago.

Some Canadian officials have charged the U.S. reaction amounted to a rejection of NAFTA, but the United States has denied that and argues that Canada has misinterpreted the panel's decision.

"Mexico believes that when international commitments are promptly honored, we diminish uncertainty in the region," Fox said. "These institutions and procedures must be strengthened, not weakened."

Canadian Prime Minister Paul Martin, who met with Fox in Vancouver, called the Mexican leader's statements helpful.

"I'm sure this will weigh heavily in these battles," Martin said at the leaders' joint press conference.

The Mexican president is on a two-day visit to Western Canada to promote investment opportunities in his country. He visited the oil industry center of Calgary, Alberta, on Thursday.

In his speech, Fox urged for greater co-operation between the three NAFTA countries -- Mexico, Canada and the United States -- amid increased competition with Asian countries.

"We've been losing jobs to Asia, to China, the three of us," he said. But, he said he was optimistic North America has greater potential for growth and trade opportunities.

Fox, whose presidential term ends next year, also touted "unprecedented legal security" for investors in Mexico, and added that over the past five years the country had made "significant" progress to reduce corruption and poverty.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050930/wl_nm/mexico_dc
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

So, Vicente Fox is a huge airbag of wind or maybe full of another substance. I saw this article too but didn't get around to posting it and then saw that you did, and I'm glad someone did.

Speechless as usual over this arrogant, freeloading and assinine's attitudes about his poor and needy citizens, as well as his same attitudes about the middle class and poor American citizens he expects to "continue to" mooch from by continuing his rich lifestyle at the expense of lesser mortals such as Mexico's poor and America's too. I just don't know what to make of him except to say that in this convoluted media article it seems it/he is now trying to side with Canada against the USA. Nothing he does surprises me!

https://www.alipac.us/ftopict-10184.html
    Not too late to add Vicente Fox to your X-mas gift list
    People who take issue with control of population do not understand that if it is not done in a graceful way, nature will do it in a brutal fashion - Henry Kendall

End foreign aid until America fixes it's own poverty first - me

If we get a fairly decent pres in next term and we decide to pull out of NAFTA (one of many things that can be reversed with a new Presidident), Fox is going have a cow. Then what will he do? Just sit back and bash the US like his friend Castro does all the time.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

Noillegalimmigrationnannie QUOTE:

I just don't know what to make of him except to say that in this convoluted media article it seems it/he is now trying to side with Canada against the USA. Nothing he does surprises me!

Nannie, I picked up the same tone from this article. He was chastizing the U.S.

The article starts with it: QUOTE:

VANCOUVER, British Columbia (Reuters) - Mexican President Vicente Fox stressed the need for countries to abide by their international trade agreements on Friday, voicing support for Canada in its softwood lumber dispute with the United States.

This is exactly how it will be only getting worse and worse.

Fox told a business gathering that the North American Free Trade Agreement subjects trade in the region to "rules that provide guarantees of legal certainty."
    I guess our immigration laws don't count.

I am sick and tired of that jack donkey Foxie.

Does anybody care what Fox and Castro think? I don't.
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!

Anything bad for the Bush-Fox buddy-buddy relationship is good for the rest of us.