Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Miami Dade Community College Supports DREAM

MDC'S Padrón wants DREAM Act passed

The head of Miami Dade College joined the White House's lobbying campaign for the DREAM Act, urging Republican Sen. George LeMieux of Florida to vote for the bill.
    By ALFONSO CHARDY
    achardy@ElNuevoHerald.com

Eduardo Padrón, president of Miami Dade College, joined the White House lobbying campaign for the DREAM Act by pushing Friday for Congressional passage of the controversial immigration bill.

The plea came during a conference call with reporters from around the country.

Padrón said he hoped Florida Sen. George LeMieux will change his mind about the bill that would legalize hundreds of thousands of undocumented students brought illegally to the United States by their parents when they were children.

The Florida Republican senator has previously said he would vote against the DREAM Act if it comes up for debate during the lame-duck session of Congress.

LeMieux's stance has become an issue in South Florida with several students, many from Miami Dade College, rallying in front of the senator's Miami-Dade office urging him to change his mind.

Padrón spoke during the conference call hosted by the White House and led by Commerce Secretary Gary Locke.

Besides Locke and Padrón, others on the call included Carlos Campo, the president of Regent University at Virginia Beach, Va., and Gene Block, chancellor of UCLA.

Asked during the call if he had a comment on LeMieux's opposition to the DREAM Act, Padrón said: ``I am still hopeful that Sen. LeMieux, after considering all the facts, will be able to see the light in this issue.''

LeMieux has said he cannot embrace the DREAM Act because he believes that the federal government must first secure the border.

``While I am sympathetic to the students impacted by the current law, I cannot support consideration of the DREAM Act until we have taken substantial and effective measures to secure our borders,'' LeMieux said in a written statement Thursday.

A recent study by the Washington-based Migration Policy Institute (MPI) said that at least 2.1 million foreign students could be eligible to apply for legal status under the DREAM Act, but only about 825,000 would actually meet the bill's educational and military requirements.

http://www.miamiherald.com/2010/12/04/1 ... assed.html
    Certified Member
    The Sons of the Republic of Texas

They don't want their attendance to go down and lose $$$
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

That is the bigot college. When my daughter wanted to go to college there she was told she was an international student even though we were here legally. The Jamaican girl after use heard the woman tell us that and she was told the same. The Colombian after the Jamiacan girl said they are as well. the counsellor said maybe not and it conversation went to Spanish and into the office. We had an idea of what they were doing but only after the case of the Gomez brothers, a girl from Peru who was deported with her family and went to college there as well as many illegals who admit during protests for amnesty and the dream act, one caught by ICE riding the Tri Rail, and the list goes on. The illegal students going there are almost all Hispanic. The Jamaican woman who was there with her daughter the day we were recognized us a year later in a store. She asked me if my daughter was going to school there and I said no and she told me her daughter wasn't either. I told her that my daughter was working as a 911 call taker for a police department and hadn't bothered to try again. She was disguisted about all the illegal hispanics going there so I told her go to NAACP and put a complaint in against the college claiming they are racist against blacks. The woman was shocked hearing a white person tell her that so I explained to her that in cases like yours there is a legitimate reason for you to do so as you truly are being discriminated against. My daughter and I even volunteered to be witnesses if they needed it.
    The other interesting fact is that you never hear of students going to Broward College being here illegally and getting deported or the universities for that matter.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)