Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Military Recruiting/Illegal Immigration -- A Solution

http://lefty-lawyer.redstate.org/story/ ... 174118/519

Military Recruiting/Illegal Immigration -- A Solution
    By: Lefty Lawyer · Section: Diaries

Preface: this is my first diary. I am a Democrat and a liberal. I have commented here before, sometimes to scathing reviews. That's fine. The following is a proposal that I have cross-posted at Daily Kos about illegal immigration and the current military recruiting problem. I am very interested in hearing a conservative viewpoint on this. There is no, repeat, no agenda here other than hearing your views.

We have a serious military recruitment problem. Everybody knows that. It's not news. Republicans and Democrats all agree on this, and we know why as well -- the war in Iraq is not exactly a recruiting poster. That's not controversial. We can disagree about the war, how it's going, whether we're "winning" or not, but I think there's little if any debate that the war is having a massive impact on recruitment. Things are not good. Regardless of your view on the war (I was against it from the start), recruitment is bad, and it is hurting the interests of the United States when our military cannot meet its recruiting goals.

I think that this is a nondebatable point.

We also have another problem in this country that I think Republicans and Democrats, liberals and conservatives, agree about, although we differ as to the nature of the problem as well as the solution. That problem is illegal immigration.

I think we can fix both problems with one action. What is it? Keep reading.
    Print This Story
    May 27th, 2005: 17:41:18, Not Rated

Before I go further, let me say this -- I am going to post this both at Daily Kos, where I have been active for the past year, as well as at Red State, where I have only just recently begun posting. Those that know me at Daily Kos will understand how hard it is not to throw at least a little bit of partisan red meat, but I'm going to be strong and resist the temptation. I am deliberately writing this in a neutral, non-accusatory fashion, because I really want to see what both liberals and conservatives think of my suggestion.

One more thing -- this was originally my wife's idea, and we have talked it through quite a bit today, and I have decided to run with it. So if you love it, it's mine, and if you hate it, it's hers (only kidding, honey).

So here we go.

I live just outside Washington, DC, in suburban Maryland. We have a very high population of undocumented immigrants, almost exclusively Hispanic in origin. These immigrants, often children, have little if any hope for the future. They do the jobs no one else will do -- trash hauling, house cleaning, babysitting, construction, etc. These jobs are physically demanding and there will come a time when the physical demands of the job simply cannot be met any longer, and these workers will have no prospects of any kind, because of their lack of legal status. They are also likely to be taken advantage of by unscrupulous employers, and will be afraid to seek recourse against such actions because they fear being "found out" by the federal government. This fear also makes such immigrants unwilling to come forward when they have information about criminal cases, thus putting a serious dent in law enforcement and community security.

Illegal (and legal) immigration is also seen by some as a serious security threat. Witness the massive move against immigrants over the past decade in the form of changes to immigration laws giving the federal government vast new powers to detain, to deport, and to remove immigrants convicted of crimes as minor as petty theft.

Democrats see illegal immigration as a social problem that should be dealt with by allowing some form of amnesty or at least greater protections for undocumented immigrants already here. Republicans retort that amnesty is rewarding clearly illegal behavior. There is a split in the Republican Party, I believe, between firmly anti-immigration activists (Tom Tancredo, etc.) and the more business-friendly position of George W. Bush and others who support guest worker programs.

One thing is clear. Illegal immigrants, particularly in communities like mine, are here to stay and are a critical part of the economy. In my experience as a lawyer, these folks are hardworking, patriotic people who came here to find a better life and care as much if not more about the United States than many of those who were born here. There are a lot of children of illegal immigrants who graduate high school with no prospects whatsoever, even if they can afford college. What job are they going to get legally? The answer is none.

OK, OK, you say, so what? What do illegal immigration and military recruiting have in common? To which I say, lots and lots, grasshopper.

Here's the proposal -- undocumented immigrants who otherwise meet the age and physical requirements of the military and who have been in the country for at least two years (so as not to encourage anyone to come here illegally and sign up, either for self-interest or as fifth columnists) are offered a six year period of enlistment. During their enlistment, they get all the same benefits that servicemen and women now get -- except the educational benefits, which are deferred until the period of enlistment is completed. If the period of enlistment is completed satisfactorily, the immigrant is immediately granted permanent resident status (green card), with the opportunity to apply for citizenship in the normal course. The immigrant is of course free to stay in the military if he or she wishes.

I believe that this proposal, if enacted, would INSTANTANEOUSLY solve the military recruiting problem. There would tens of thousands of willing volunteers. It would also help to solve the emerging "underclass" aspect of the illegal immigration problem, as the best and the brightest of the growing population of high school and college graduates with no prospects whatsoever will now have a path to legal status and greater contributions to the country as a whole.

There are pros and cons of this, from both the right and the left. I have thought about them as best I can, and here are the principal ones:

From the left

This is exploitation of poor people. I am pretty damn liberal. I disagree. The military has always been seen as a way out for poor people, whether they were black, white or Hispanic. The risks haven't changed -- joining the military has always been risky, but it's also carried with it the opportunity for better things if you make it through. It is also a social promoter, always has been and always will be. Yes, there is a risk that those who sign up will be injured or killed before they reach the goal of the green card, but that's a risk that I believe a significant number of immigrants will be willing to make, just as poor whites, blacks and Hispanics have done for generations. It will also benefit the country as a whole, by providing an influx of talented and motivated people.

From the right

It's a security risk, it lowers the quality of the military, and it rewards illegal behavior. Again, I disagree. 90% or more of the people that would respond to this proposal are Hispanic. They are no more a security risk than you or I. They would of course have to meet the requirements of the military as to physical capacity, etc. Any serious security risks would of course be weeded out during the initial processing of new recruits. As to the quality of our soldiers, forgive me, but "low hanging fruit" doesn't begin to describe the Lynndie Englands of the world. The quality of new recruits has nowhere to go but up. Finally, as to illegal behavior, again, I disagree. This is a classic quid pro quo -- our country needs soldiers and illegal immigrants (most of whom, under this proposal, would be those who came here as children and therefore can hardly be seen as culpable) need a chance to move up from the bottom in society.

Result -- our recruitment goals are met, the military has the resources it needs to do the job at hand (we can debate whether it's the right job or being done properly somewhere else), the illegal immigration problem is lessened if not resolved, and the United States receives a fresh infusion of motivated, patriotic military recruits who may well form the future basis of the military itself.

I know this is going to be hated by many on both the ri
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

There are a lot of children of illegal immigrants who graduate high school with no prospects whatsoever, even if they can afford college. What job are they going to get legally? The answer is none.
    ???? Is an American college degree not portable? Would it have no value in their own country??? Or if they cross the border and get back into Mexico do they suddenly become as uneducated as they were before they left? Does Mexico and other nations not need educated people? This is quite a puzzle to me.

Many of our highly educated people are under employed...but they do whatever is required until something else appears over their horizon...but I guess those who have lived here illegally for years are more comfortable being illegal than going back to their own country and attempting to make things better there. ??

I've also wondered if there are no schools in Mexico?

RR
    The men who try to do something and fail are infinitely better than those who try to do nothing and succeed. " - Lloyd Jones

I disagree with this dude on so many levels.

this was originally my wife's idea, and we have talked it through quite a bit today, and I have decided to run with it. So if you love it, it's mine, and if you hate it, it's hers
    Anyone this self-centered deserves to suffer at least 5 years from lack-of-nooky. I am divorced and even I know you can't diz a wife like that. I hope for his sake he is not married to Lorena Bobbitt.

The idea of granting a green card to illegals that join the Military is 5 degrees beyond stupid.
    a-How do you give orders when the troops don't speak english?
    b- Why train someone who belives in the Reconquista how to wage war?

Someone needs to send this dope a few Pesos so he can buy a clue.