Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Minuteman Project will expand to five new states

This is from U.S. Border Control. I knew they were expanding but did not know it would cover 5 states. This is great.

Minuteman Project will expand to five new states; senator suggests making volunteers border 'deputies’

April 19, 2005

The Minuteman Project, successful in Arizona, is planning to expand its border watch efforts to include California, New Mexico, Texas, Michigan and Idaho, said organizers. Chris Simcox noted that citizens in those states have begun organizing their own Minuteman spin-offs.

Meanwhile, a Republican senator from Colorado said that private citizens, like the members of the Minuteman Project, should be deputized by the federal government to help secure U.S. borders.

Jim Gilchrist of the Minuteman Project said the group would also begin organizing to go into the nation's interior, targeting businesses that employ illegal border crossers. They will also step up efforts to lobby Congress to put the National Guard or the U.S. military on the border.

Simcox said he and Gilchrist would step up their efforts to lobby the U.S. Congress next week when they travel to Washington for an April 27 meeting with members of the congressional Immigration Reform Caucus. He said they will tell the caucus members that the Minuteman patrols will continue indefinitely until Congress commits to funding the deployment of the National Guard or military along the border.

'This is a no-compromise situation. We will not discontinue patrolling the border until Congress funds and clears the way for the National Guard, and/or specially trained military troops, to follow our model that we've created,' Simcox said. 'We have the people of the United States behind us in overwhelming numbers.'

Senator Wayne Allard, said the U.S. Border Patrol should look to volunteers as well as local law enforcement and state officials for help along the most porous parts of the U.S.-Mexico line.

"I happen to believe that those people down along the border that formed the Minutemen organization have some real concerns," Allard told Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff during a Senate Appropriations Committee hearing. He added, “I wonder sometimes if maybe we're not looking too much to a federal solution,"

Chertoff sidestepped Allard's suggestion to deputize citizens to patrol the border. But the secretary said Border Patrol agents are working with authorities in Arizona.

"Depending on what community you're in, some law enforcement officials want to be involved in and engaged in the process of enforcing the laws against illegal immigration," Chertoff said. "Some don't. I don't think we can make them do it."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Revised April 25, 2005
    Contactusatwebmaster@usbc.org

http://www.usbc.org/
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

"Depending on what community you're in, some law enforcement officials want to be involved in and engaged in the process of enforcing the laws against illegal immigration," Chertoff said. "Some don't. I don't think we can make them do it."
    They will if they are ordered to.
    Now, who has the guts?
    http://www.alipac.us Enforce immigration laws!