Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Morrow sues over cancelation of immigration forum

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2005/08 ... 205148.txt

Morrow sues over cancelation of immigration forum

By: SCOTT MARSHALL - Staff Writer

NORTH COUNTY ---- An attorney for state Sen. Bill Morrow filed a lawsuit Monday asking a Superior Court judge to force the Carlsbad Unified School District to rescind its superintendent's cancelation of a town-hall meeting on immigration, the attorney said.

Attorney Peter Lepiscopo, who represents Morrow, said he expects a judge to decide within a day or two whether the meeting, originally scheduled for Thursday, can be held at the Carlsbad Community Cultural Arts Center on the Carlsbad High School campus.

Morrow described the lawsuit as a "last resort" and an effort to protect free speech.

"I am a public official," Morrow said. "I want to hold a public town forum, and I am unable to do so because of the threats, coercion and intimidation of those who disagree with the message."

Carlsbad schools Superintendent John Roach announced last week that he would cancel the immigration forum planned by Morrow, citing past violence and threats of violence at other immigration events throughout the state.

Roach referred specifically to clashes that occurred in May in Garden Grove and Baldwin Park and in July in Campo.

Roach cited a school board policy that allows the superintendent to deny use of school grounds "if an event poses an unreasonable risk of damage to the facility, equipment, or furnishings, and that might jeopardize the security, health, and well-being of an audience or of the community."

"Based on my understanding of the recent events in Garden Grove, Baldwin Park, and Campo, it is my belief that the event you had planned poses exactly such a risk," Roach said last week, reading from a letter he had faxed to Morrow's office.

"These events seem to have a tendency of gathering busloads of supporters and opposition who yell at each other and get violent. That's not an appropriate use of the facility," Roach continued.

Sponsored by Morrow, the scheduled meeting, titled "The Illegal Immigration Crisis," was scheduled to include former San Diego mayor and radio talk-show host Roger Hedgecock as emcee, Colorado Congressmen Tom Tancredo, Minuteman Project founder James W. Gilchrist, attorney and author Madeleine Cosman, and former U.S. Attorney Pete Nunez.

Morrow's meeting was to have focused on how illegal immigration affects health care, homeland security, education, the economy and the environment, according to a flier distributed by the senator's staff.

Roach could not be reached for comment Monday evening, but school board President Mark Tanner stood by the superintendent, saying he believes Roach has good judgment.

"I think what he's done made sense," Tanner said of Roach's decision to cancel the forum. Tanner added that it's up to Roach to make decisions regarding safety and the use of school district facilities.

Tanner said he was surprised by Morrow's complaint, adding that the district had not intended to curtail anyone's constitutional rights.

"I don't think that was the motivation at all," Tanner said.

Morrow said a state appeals court ruled in 1998 that canceling an event because of threats of violence from opponents of the event amounted to an unconstitutional prior restraint on free speech called a "heckler's veto."

Lepiscopo, Morrow's attorney, said the district's remedy to address safety concerns is to have enough police officers present, not to cancel the event. Morrow said Monday that police have told him they could provide adequate security for the event.

"When somebody says, 'Hey, if you don't shut up' or takes action to shut you up and not say your piece under threat of disruption or violence, that cannot be tolerated, not in the USA," Morrow said.

Staff writer Ben Frumin contributed to this report.

Contact staff writer Scott Marshall at (760) 631-6623 or smarshall@nctimes.com.

Re: Morrow sues over cancelation of immigration forum

Liar Liar Pants Afire!! You're Butt's A Smokin' Tanner!!

A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Re: Morrow sues over cancelation of immigration forum

Quote Originally Posted by Judy

Liar Liar Pants Afire!! You're Butt's A Smokin' Tanner!!

And the lies just keep on comin. How can you get so many idiots in one place at one time? New Mexico? Why do we need New Mexicans?
    I vote to sell N. Mexico to the Old Mexico. They are both worthless. Did you know New Mexicans need a passport stamped by the Sixx Council to enter TEXAS? Damn near a true story.
    FAR BEYOND DRIVEN

A SIXX PASSPORT FROM THE SIXX COUNCIL!!

HEY!! I'll bet that SIXX COUNCIL could straighten out that Trilateral Council and that WTO Tribunal Council in short order, eh?

Just thinking about your council meetin' up with those over-rated over-paid bunch of little rich boys that can't do anything for themselves...well, just tickles me!!

I bet they'd run down the hall and hide...use their cell phone to call their lawyer....and squeal..."they're here, what do we do now?"

LAWYER: Grab your hat and RUN!!!

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"When somebody says, 'Hey, if you don't shut up' or takes action to shut you up and not say your piece under threat of disruption or violence, that cannot be tolerated, not in the USA," Morrow said.
    The good Senator nails it. This is pecisely the point. Have you ever noticed how those who preach tolerance the loudest are extremely intolerant when someone disagrees with them?

If the police cannot provide protection for an organized event such as this, then I would say they need a new police department. Otherwise, let the event go ahead. This is still AMERICA, land of the free. If these clowns persist in trying to stifle the will of legal Americans, they are going to get buried by the wave of indignation and righteous fury. Stand back!
    When we gonna wake up?

the community forum was to be held at the " Carlsbad Community Cultural Arts Center" but "it's up to Roach to make regarding safety and the use of school district facilities"

is it a "community center" or a "school district facility"?

If those "hecklers" are illegal "immigrants" or "alien" non-citizens, they don't have a right to protest and could be put in jail WITHOUT the benefit of the 'bill of rights'
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Right On MAMIE!! If they are illegal, they are legally out of our jurisdiction and need to be deported on the spot!!

if they feared our immigration laws and deportation they wouldn't show up ... needless to say, I'm sure there will be a crowd
    "Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it" George Santayana "Deo Vindice"

Mamie.."a crowd" oh yeah. Haven't they been outnumbering Americans about 10 to 1 in California? Where is ICE? This is rich territory for them. They should be at the sites of these meetings with a couple of big buses of their own!!