Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

California or ground zero of the invasion

Myrick introduces 2 immigration bills

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/observer/n ... 651268.htm

Posted on Thu, Sep. 15, 2005

Myrick introduces 2 immigration bills
    Charlotte Republican seeks tougher action on DWI, hiring violations

TIM FUNK
    Observer Washington Bureau

WASHINGTON - Rep. Sue Myrick introduced bills Wednesday to deport illegal immigrants convicted of drunk driving and dock businesses $10,000 -- 40 times the current fine -- for every undocumented immigrant they knowingly hire.

The Charlotte Republican's bill -- called the "10K Run for the Border Act" -- would give local police 80 percent of the fine for helping in arrests.

Myrick's other bill is named for Scott Gardner, the Mount Holly teacher killed in July when his car was hit by a truck driven by Ramiro Gallegos, an illegal immigrant who'd had five driving while impaired charges in five years.

Gardner's wife, Tina, was severely injured in the crash. Now at Wake Medical Center, she hasn't regained consciousness but is opening her eyes and, with the help of therapists, sitting up.

"DWI threatens the lives of everyone on the road and it should be a deportable offense, not just a slap on the wrist," said Myrick, who was surrounded at a Capitol Hill news conference Wednesday by Gardner's mother, Emily Moose, and a few of his friends.

One of those friends, Heidi Hall, a substitute teacher in Gaston County, said she wrote Myrick the day Gardner died, saying, "I didn't want Scott to die in vain (and) `Wouldn't it be nice to have a Scott Gardner Act'? So, this is a dream come true."

But Myrick's legislation has raised questions.

For example: Though immigration is a federal matter, she would require state and local law enforcement to check immigration status during their normal rounds and to enter status and deportation orders into the FBI's National Crime Information Center's database. Her bills also call for the federal government to pay for training police in immigration enforcement.

Some Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have said such requirements could destroy the trust they've built up in immigrant communities. Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph, noting the county's limited jail space, has also asked where he'd put illegal immigrants detained by deputies.

Myrick said Wednesday she may exempt police informants from the proposed law. She added that Charlotte is vying to become the site for a federal detention center that could provide space for detained immigrants.

Asked if police would, under her bill, end up asking only brown people and Asians -- including citizens -- to prove their legal status, Myrick said everybody would be subject to such checks.

"When they stop somebody for a violation of some type, they would check in their computer to see if that person was illegal, as a part of checking everything else," she said. "It doesn't matter if they're purple."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

"Some Charlotte-Mecklenburg police have said such requirements could destroy the trust they've built up in immigrant communities. Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph, noting the county's limited jail space, has also asked where he'd put illegal immigrants detained by deputies."

Sounds like some officers have forgotten or don't understand the Oath of office they took.
    Sheriff, you can contact the federal goverment and you can get a few large squad tents and some barbed wire. I am sure there is some grassy area near the court house where you can put them up.
    You would not be the 1st sheriff with a tent city.
    You people as representitives North Carolina Law enforcement officers embarrass me. It is nothing but pure laziness on your part.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

most of the local agencies have almost the same oath.

I, (individual officer's name), do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will be alert and vigilant to enforce the criminal laws of this state; that I will not be influenced in any matter on account of personal bias or prejudice; that I will support and maintain the Constitution and laws of the United States, and the Constitution and laws of North Carolina not inconsistent therewith; and that I will faithfully and impartially discharge and execute the duties of my office as a law enforcement officer according to the best of my skill, abilities, and judgment; so help me, God.
    Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

U.S. Congress : Rep. Myrick Votes to Protect Children From Sexual Predators
    Posted by jmoir on 2005/9/14 16:34:15

Today, Rep. Sue Myrick voted for H.R. 3132, the Children’s Safety Act of 2005. This bill will strengthen laws regarding sexual offenders, and is hailed as the strongest legislation to protect children since the Amber Alert.

“If there is anything we can do to protect children, we should do it. This bill will make our children safer by tightening the laws on sexual offenders. It will make sure sexual offenders are more closely monitored so repeat offenses will be less likely to occur,� said Rep. Myrick.

H.R. 3132 requires sex offenders to register prior to their release from prison so they cannot slip through the cracks. It ensures there will be a mandatory minimum punishment for violent and sexual crimes against children. H.R. 3132 also expands the coverage of child sex offenders to include any misdemeanor sex offenses as well as felony sex offenses.

http://www.ncrumors.com/modules/news/ar ... toryid=756
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

House adds sexual orientation to 'hate crimes'
    OKs amendment to child-safety bill with help of 30 Republicans
    Posted: September 14, 2005
    7:00 p.m. Eastern

© 2005 WorldNetDaily.com

In what is being characterized as an unexpected move, the U.S. House of Representatives today approved an amendment to a child-safety bill that adds "sexual orientation" to the federal "hate crimes" statute.

The amendment to the Children's Safety Act – which, among other things, creates a national website for child sex offenders and stipulates that sex felons face up to 20 years in prison for failing to comply with registration requirements – was offered by Rep. John Conyers, D-Mich., and passed 223-199. Thirty Republicans, 192 Democrats and one Independent voted to add the "sexual orientation" language, while 194 Republicans and five Democrats voted no.

According an Associated Press report, current "hate crimes" law includes stiffer penalties for federal offenses when the attacker is motivated by the actual or perceived race, religion or ethnic background. The Conyers provision adds to that list sexual orientation, gender and disability.

The House has been the chief obstacle in numerous previous attempts to expand federal "hate crimes" law, and Joe Solmonese, president of the Human Rights Campaign, the nation's largest homosexual-rights group, told AP today's was an "incredibly historic vote" that could give momentum to similar action in the Senate.

Robert Knight of Concerned Women for America was stunned the vote was taken with virtually no notice.

"We had no notice that this was happening," Knight said in an e-mail announcing the action. "The only positive thing I can say is that this was a recorded vote."

The bill itself was approved by a 371-52 vote in the House.

A roll call of the Conyers amendment vote can be viewed on the House of Representatives website.

The Family Research Council is blasting the action in no small terms.

"Criminalizing thoughts as well as actions, and creating special categories of victims, are contrary to our entire system of laws," said FRC president Tony Perkins. "Furthermore, granting special protections based on one's 'sexual orientation' has repeatedly been rejected by Congress. It is shocking that a bill designed to protect children from sexual predators is now being used to protect the sexual preference of homosexuals.

"The Senate should reject the House's attempt to advance the political agenda of homosexuals at the expense of children."

If you'd like to sound off on this issue, please take part in the WorldNetDaily poll.
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

And if you live in NC and want to know if you have one next door check it here:
    http://sbi.jus.state.nc.us/DOJHAHT/SOR/Default.htm
    http://www.carrboro.com/protectingourkids.html

I am glad that Myrick is taking a stance against perverts and illegal immigrants. But both of these stances have serious flaws if you look at the big picture.

Without going into a long diatribe, simply put voting for trade deals that open the boarders and then taking a stance against illegal immigration seems self defeating.

Protecting Children should always be a top priority, but an amendment that could potentially make anyone who reads the bible aloud guilty of a hate crime is absurd. Don’t pass a law that does such a thing. Introduce a similar law without the amendment.

Charles, those are great web sites. The SBI site is down. It’s kind of freaky to get on there and see people that live in your town on there.

Mecklenburg County Sheriff Jim Pendergraph, noting the county's limited jail space, has also asked where he'd put illegal immigrants detained by deputies.
    Here's some money for tents and jail additions:

The Charlotte Republican's bill -- called the "10K Run for the Border Act" -- would give local police 80 percent of the fine for helping in arrests.