Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NAFTA, CAFTA won't add to exports, only job losses

http://www.etruth.com/News/Content.aspx?ID=351215&page=

NAFTA, CAFTA won't add to exports, only job losses

Published: Monday, June 27, 2005 -- The Truth, A4
    Last updated: 6/26/2005 5:16:53 PM

It never ceases to amaze me that President Bush continues to claim that the North American Free Trade Agreement has been a grand success. Does he really believe the American public is that naive? Obviously, he does.

NAFTA has cost America almost a million jobs. Did it help reduce poverty in Mexico? Many companies that moved production to Mexico learned the bitter truth, that they should have moved production to China instead. It is far more profitable to use the near-slave labor of China, with a totalitarian government that keeps theft at bay.

Now we have to listen to political rhetoric about NAFTA's success. After all, that is what politicians do to cover up an economic blunder. But what is really incredible is that President Bush actually wants to expand this fiasco in his proposed Central American Free Trade Agreement.

Trade analyst Alan Tonelson for the U.S. Business and Industry Council points out that, "... the aggregate economy of the six CAFTA nations is minuscule. Add up the six CAFTA (nations') economies and you get the market size of New Haven, Conn."

Tonelson goes on to explain that, "U.S. exports to CAFTA (nations) are dominated by what might be called 'turn around exports.' That is to say, exports that are not final products that are consumed abroad, but parts and components of final products that are assembled or further processed abroad, and then shipped right back for consumption in the Untied States."

Come on America, wake up! Even if you have only had Economics 101 you should realize this does not add to our exports. It just exports our jobs to another nation so that we can buy it cheaper here because your neighbor was just too expensive.

Not your problem? Only you can change this by contacting your congressman to let him know if he does not stop CAFTA, you will elect a representative in the future that really does represent you.

RALPH SEARER

Elkhart
    I stay current on Americans for Legal Immigration PAC's fight to Secure Our Border and Send Illegals Home via E-mail Alerts (CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP)

DO IT!! Call your Congressman!! Tell him or his Legislative Assistant the following:

CAFTA will drain the US Manufacturing Economy--there is no doubt about that. The lower cost, lower wage, and light regulatory load of Central American site possibilities will beat us every time both for new plant and existing plants. Existing plants will be closed and either reopened in Central America or consolidated with new plants there.

CAFTA will drain the drain market due to the outsourcing of existing jobs to facilities they will build in Central America.

CAFTA will flood the United States with a whole new crop of immigrants that the US Economy can not sustain or support.

CAFTA is de facto open borders threatening the sovereignty of the USA because we all know that:

"A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation". Ronald Reagan

He was right and everyone needs to listen and VOTE NO ON CAFTA!!
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn

Technically it will increase exports.. export of jobs.

Actually...?

I am against CAFTA as I was NAFTA and I fear FTAA even more.

If this is passed do not fret. So much of our industry is already so gone that CAFTA may not matter. If it isn't in Mexico already or China why would you go to Honduras or Nicaragua as a busines or plant owner? China is cheaper!

These countries are a part of the CBI already. Caribbean Basin Initiative passed by Ronald Reagan. I believe, when passed, CBI caused lots of clothing plants in the U.S to close? You NC people may know more than I on this. Since then, we have seen many clothing products from the Dominican Republic, Honduras, El Salvaador etc. The thing is is that CBI was supposed to be about the Dominican Republic but all of Central America is in the Caribbean too.

As I have posted, Colorado's and California's ROSE industry has been decimated since Congress added the Andean Pact nations (Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuadorr, Peru) to CBI. A Department of State official in Bogota, Colombia sent me an email explaining this..
    this cold hearted AID official said in the letter "....there are winners and losers in trade agreements.." Winners? Colombian businessman and Wal-mart..losers? California and Colorado rose growers and Colombian workers who probably earn peanuts?

The problem with CAFTA is that the people of Central America have little disposable income so they can't buy US products even if they wanted to and a job paying 1 dollar an hour will not do it!

As you know there is a ban on Canadian beef right now. US cattle producers are enjoying high prices because of it BUT the cattle packing houses don't like it and many workers are laid off from the packing plants but I don't care because many of them are now ILLEGALS! In Nebraska for example!

It isn't about free trade but FAIR trade! I have no quarrel with trade with a country that is modern like Canada where the people live quite well.

The problem are the dirt poor nations where we are promised an end to illegal immigration and it does not happen cause the wages never rise!

Big corporations only want to lower their labor costs and increase their profit margins!

BTW I spent a week at a resort in Punta Cana Dominican Republic a few years ago. The lady cleaning our rooms made like 40 dollars a week in wages. She said she made more in tips and we gave her $40.......Pathetic wages and until laws are made raising the wages these trade agreements are worthless....environmental as well! I sound like a darn Democratic activist now but it is the truth! Free trade when it is FAIR! It ain't!

There are people out there who care more about other countries than the US but mostly it is just about greed!

Actually...?

I am against CAFTA as I was NAFTA and I fear FTAA even more.

If this is passed do not fret. So much of our industry is already so gone that CAFTA may not matter. If it isn't in Mexico already or China why would you go to Honduras or Nicaragua as a busines or plant owner? China is cheaper!

These countries are a part of the CBI already. Caribbean Basin Initiative passed by Ronald Reagan. I believe, when passed, CBI caused lots of clothing plants in the U.S to close? You NC people may know more than I on this. Since then, we have seen many clothing products from the Dominican Republic, Honduras, El Salvaador etc. The thing is is that CBI was supposed to be about the Dominican Republic but all of Central America is in the Caribbean too.

As I have posted, Colorado's and California's ROSE industry has been decimated since Congress added the Andean Pact nations (Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuadorr, Peru) to CBI. A Department of State official in Bogota, Colombia sent me an email explaining this..
    this cold hearted AID official said in the letter "....there are winners and losers in trade agreements.." Winners? Colombian businessman and Wal-mart..losers? California and Colorado rose growers and Colombian workers who probably earn peanuts?

The problem with CAFTA is that the people of Central America have little disposable income so they can't buy US products even if they wanted to and a job paying 1 dollar an hour will not do it!

As you know there is a ban on Canadian beef right now. US cattle producers are enjoying high prices because of it BUT the cattle packing houses don't like it and many workers are laid off from the packing plants but I don't care because many of them are now ILLEGALS! In Nebraska for example!

It isn't about free trade but FAIR trade! I have no quarrel with trade with a country that is modern like Canada where the people live quite well.

The problem are the dirt poor nations where we are promised an end to illegal immigration and it does not happen cause the wages never rise!

Big corporations only want to lower their labor costs and increase their profit margins!

BTW I spent a week at a resort in Punta Cana Dominican Republic a few years ago. The lady cleaning our rooms made like 40 dollars a week in wages. She said she made more in tips and we gave her $40.......Pathetic wages and until laws are made raising the wages these trade agreements are worthless....environmental as well! I sound like a darn Democratic activist now but it is the truth! Free trade when it is FAIR! It ain't!

There are people out there who care more about other countries than the US but mostly it is just about greed!

JackSmith!! I understand your point about Free Trade versus Fair Trade. The Caribbean Initiative didn't hurt us too much. Remember the 80's? We were soaring...or at least it seemed that way.

The biggest problem with CAFTA is the "free flow of people, labor and goods" into the United States. It MUST BE DEFEATED. All those people earning $40 a week will be allowed to enter the United States as "people" legally and as "labor" legally.

If we defeat CAFTA, FTAA is dead.

The head of the US Chamber of Commerce already conceded that in an article posted yesterday.

WE must call all the Republican Congressman and tell them to VOTE NO even if it pisses off Bush. I'm telling them straight out, I understand this might put you in a bind with the President, but being a 4th generation GOP, dyed in the wool Republican who voted for the Man twice, I'm just dumb-founded by this "agenda". I say, "in business, we'd say he has either lost his mind or is off on a tangent, the tangent here being he is off trying to create some new country when the American People are happy with our Nation and its sovereign territory...just the way it is." So, then I say, "while we try to figure out what is wrong this President, we have to do what is right for the United States and the American People, which is without question incinerating this obnoxious legislation called CAFTA".

As you can imagine, I keep them on the phone a good while explaining all the points, but by the end, they assure me they will let the Congressman know and they want my number in case he/she has any questions.

I contacted 32 today and I'll call more tomorrow. Just go down the list W provided and start calling. Someone needs to call from the bottom of the list up as I started from the top. That way if we run out of time, the bottom will at least have had some calls from on on VOTE NO ON CAFTA and why.

Killing CAFTA is the Nail in the Coffin of the Globalists who are behind this.

With this nightmare over....we can begin once again to rebuild our manufacturing base. There is no excuse for what has happened with these trade agreements or what is happening now with China. There are solutions as soon as there are people in Government competent and directed, i. e. ordered, to correct it.
    A Nation Without Borders Is Not A Nation - Ronald Reagan
    Save America, Deport Congress! - Judy

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at https://eepurl.com/cktGTn