Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Senior Member FedUpinFarmersBranch's Avatar

NC - Cover Story: Immigration enforcement

Cover Story: Immigration enforcement

Posted: Feb 19, 2009 05:50 PM CST

Updated: Feb 19, 2009 06:44 PM CST

By Jeff Atkinson - bio | email

Posted by Sarah Hildmann - email

CHARLOTTE, NC (WBTV) - Controversy over the way Mecklenburg county and others deal with illegal immigrants. PrimeTime's Jeff Atkinson reports in our Cover Story.

A federal program that lets local law enforcement identify and help deport illegal immigrants.. falling under the microscope.

A study done by UNC Chapel Hill and the ACLU says the so-called 287(g) program encourages "racial profiling and "community distrust."

This is the program that got its North Carolina start here in Mecklenburg county almost three years ago.

It's been credited with successfully snagging a number of illegal immigrants wanted for serious felonies in other states.. but it's being seriously criticized.

Mecklenburg sheriff's office was the first in the state to sign on to the federal 287(g) program.

For every suspect arrested and brought into the jail-- it allows sheriff's office personnel to act as immigration officials.. allowing them to ask two questions.

Were you born in the United States?

And are you a citizen of the United States?

Now in a 152-page report conducted by law students at UNC Chapel Hill and lawyers from the North Carolina ACLU it alleges that the 287(g) program encourages officers to target Hispanics for arrest and discourages immigrants from reporting crimes.

Conclusions Mecklenburg Sheriff Chipp Bailey finds incorrect. "We're not targeting any ethnic group," he says.

He says everyone's asked the same two questions once jailed.

Police departments make the arrests.

And in CMPD's case-- officers don't ask a suspect's immigration status.

Bailey's seen no evidence police are targeting any one group. "I see legitimate arrests being made," he says.

And as far as allegations that 287(g) has created a chilling effect for victims to report crime.. Bailey's not seen that either.

He says, "I know the police department doesn't go out and ask legal status of people when they report a crime.. so the immigrant community as long as they don't commit crimes in our county.. they should not be worrying about the police checking their status."

Local law enforcement recognizes the need to reach out to minority groups and the immigrant community.

This workshop by CMPD held this week sought to foster a better relationship between police and Hispanic business owners like this woman.

"I believe that people are going to start being a little bit more comfortable with the police and what they're doing and being able to contact them if they need help," says Marie Alicea, property manager for Idlewild Apartments.

The report also said it found quote "serious erosion of community trust, as well as legal concerns" associated with 287(g).

Supporters however say it's a vital tool to have.

Says Sheriff Bailey, "The program allows the sheriffs in North Carolina who have it to know who's in their jails."

The sheriff's office points to cases like the illegal immigrant-- arrested the first week the program went into effect.. who was wanted on murder charges in California.

48 inmates are in jail Thursday night.. identified as illegal immigrants.. through 287(g).. they are waiting to resolve state charges.

Eight law enforcement agencies in North Carolina including the Mecklenburg Sheriff's Office participate in the program. More than 3,000 illegal immigrants have been deported as a result.

http://www.wbtv.com/global/story.asp?s=9875252
    Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts at http://eepurl.com/cktGTn

It's been credited with successfully snagging a number of illegal immigrants wanted for serious felonies in other states.. but it's being seriously criticized.
    only by the ACLU and law students from UNC Chapel Hill!

discourages immigrants from reporting crimes.
    Why worry about that? They are not criminals!
    "When you have knowledge,you have a responsibility to do better"_ Paula Johnson

"I did then what I knew to do. When I knew better,I did better"_ Maya Angelou