Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: New jail sought by ICE won't be built in Gaston County

New jail sought by ICE won't be built in Gaston County

Monday, March 10, 2008
    THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

GASTONIA
    A $150 million detention facility that federal immigration officials wanted built in Gaston County won't go through as planned.

The Charlotte Observer reported Monday that U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement couldn't guarantee the county would be reimbursed for holding inmates. County officials decided raising the money would be too risky.

ICE wants the 1,500-bed detention center built in the Charlotte region.

Gaston County Manager Jan Winters said a smaller facility could be built. The current 520-bed jail may need to add up to 500 beds over the next five years to handle the county's increasing number of inmates.

Winters said such a facility could benefit immigration agents, but the county isn't in the business of satisfying ICE.

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Sa...=1173354913621

I really am beginning to think there is no hope for North Carolina. It seems that the politicians like having illegal immigrants, and a lot of businesses seem to be the same way. Unfortunately neighboring states are actually passing some legislation, so I fear that all their illegals will just come here since we are doing nothing!
    - Sidney

We really need this facility here in NC. With more than an estimated half a million illegal aliens in our state, with many sucking up entitlements faster than flies can find fresh cow dung, North Carolina can't afford to do without a detention facility any longer. Let's also take into account all the anchor babies born everyday with full medicaid bennies and public school education waiting for them, the welfare, the cost of prosecution and incarceration of illegals already in our jails for a vast array of crimes they have no business committing on U.S. SOIL, the jobs LEGAL North Carolinians have lost to illegal aliens at a time when outsourcing has hit this state extremely hard over the past decade. No, we can't afford NOT to have this facility. If I'm not mistaken, Georgia has the nearest detention facility and if we're lucky, that's where our NC illegal aliens are sent to await deportation. However, if that facility is full, or ICE just doesn't want to bother- we're stuck with 'em and most just get turned loose, which is unacceptable.

WE HAVE TO FIGHT FOR THIS FACILITY. In the end it will be more cost effective to hold them for deportation HERE, as having a convenient facility will lead to MORE deportations and less catch and release.

Sidney, WELCOME! Glad to have you on board!

Sorry I posted to your article before welcoming you to ALIPAC. What happened to my manners???

Re: NC: New jail sought by ICE won't be built in Gaston Coun

Quote Originally Posted by sidney
    U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement couldn't guarantee the county would be reimbursed for holding inmates
    Welcome, sidney! I sort of don't blame them because I heard recently that only .04 cents per dollar spent on incarcerating illegals was reimbursed to counties from I.C.E., and counties across the U.S. are suffering big time as a result. I'm sure they are anxious to build a facility near Charlotte (my hometown) because it has such a HUGE population of illegals.

Try not to be too discouraged. We've got Senator Dole, Senator Burr, and Rep. Shuler (from my new neck of the woods) on our side, as well as NC State Rep. Dale R. Folwell and NC State rep. Jim Gulley. I'm sure there are plenty of others, most likely Republicans! Maybe someone else from NC could post a few.