Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

NC: Senate agrees to illegal immigrant prisoner bill

Senate agrees to illegal immigrant prisoner bill

Tuesday, Jun. 17, 2008 4:41 pm

RALEIGH (AP) — Illegal immigrants in North Carolina's prison system could be released early and deported under legislation approved by the Senate.

Senators agreed unanimously Tuesday to support the plan, which could free up an average of more than 250 prison beds a year.

Those prisoners that federal officials have promised to remove from the country at the end of their sentences are eligible.

Of those qualified prisoners, they must have served more than half of their sentence for nonviolent crimes like fraud or breaking and entering.

The bill filed by Democratic Sen. Tony Rand of Cumberland County now goes to the House for consideration.

http://www.news-record.com/apps/pbcs...TAFF/190488461
    - Sidney

Well, now that would be a good thing if they also stipulate a stiffer punishment if they come right back in again. They should be threatened with having to serve their entire sentence if they come back. Just letting them go across the border only to return is not a deterrent.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)

MW
    tinybobidaho wrote:

Just letting them go across the border only to return is not a deterrent.
    In most cases I fear that is exactly what is going to happen. Dealing with illegal aliens has added new meaning to the phrase, "tough on crime." Personally, I think they should serve their full sentence before deportation. Releasing them early is what I would consider the rewarding of criminals. For the record, I don't consider deporation a punishment.

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ** Edmund Burke**

Support our FIGHT AGAINST illegal immigration & Amnesty by joining our E-mail Alerts athttps://eepurl.com/cktGTn

I agree, MW.
    RIP TinybobIdaho -- May God smile upon you in his domain forevermore.

Join our efforts to Secure America's Borders and End Illegal Immigration by Joining ALIPAC's E-Mail Alerts network (CLICK HERE)